Are maps without a touchscreen worth having?

Options
It's time to pre-order my Fenix 5. I'm leaning toward the version with maps, but wondering just how useful they'll be without a touchscreen to zoom and pan.

I would get a sapphire screen either way, so there's no $$$ difference. What I'd give up for the maps is battery life. Besides being able to look at the map, what I get is the ability for the watch to do routing and navigation when I take my bike somewhere I've never been. (I have a smart phone, but I spend a lot of time with no coverage.)

Advice?

Garmin-Fenix5-Course2.jpg

Replies

• Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I like to, and often need to zoom in. Personally, a ram mount for the phone on the bike and a watch with better battery life would be more attractive options for me.
    http://www.rammount.com
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wish I had mapping on my 920 for the exact reason you stated. It has some poor man's version of guidance, which is good enough as long as I have a general idea of where I'm going, but it's not as convenient/robust as I'd like.

I think the usefulness will depend on where you are. Big city with tightly-woven streets... probably not so much. More rural areas... probably very effective. I also think they would be more effective when running than when biking, due to the slower speeds.