How to pick a protein powder?

Options
suzan06
suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
I need to add protein powder to my 9 year old's oatmeal at the advice of his dietician. She didn't recommend any particular brand.

How do I choose which protein source?

I know I want something without added sugar, fake sugar, flavors, etc. Can I buy just plain protein powder? I don't mind of vitamins are added, just don't want any junk.

Is Costco the best place to buy?

Thanks for any advice. We have been using up some old stuff and it was gross- brown rice protein, had a horrible texture and didn't dissolve. Anything will be better than it!

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I would call and ask what brand they recommend or what ingredients she would like to avoid since this is for medical purposes. Seems they should recommend something.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    MRM makes a plain unflavored and unsweetened whey protein powder. I'm sure there may be other brands. My daughter did some research and said that whey or whey isolate is the best as long as there are no milk allergies.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If your grocery store sells Bob's Red Mill brands check their section for plain protein powder!
  • rodecena
    rodecena Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein is good i get it from vitamin shopper gx3gdh8qs6tv.jpg
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Quest makes an unflavored powder. I've not tried it, but I love their other products. You might be able to order a few sample packs on their website.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I buy the powder which offers the most protein for the least cost.

You can get a bag of 6# of Muscle Milk Cytosport for just $40 at Costco, which has 27g of protein w/each serving. There are about 75 servings per bag which works out to about 2 cents per gram of protein or about 53 cents per serving.

That's pretty good but you can do even better than that.

I also bought a huge supply of MyProtein powder -- 22 lbs -- on sale for just $110 or $55 per 11# bag awhile back. Haven't even opened the bags (except to check for taste) since I bought them. Regular price is $85/11#. They are actually having another sale for the same price now.

See: https://us.myprotein.com/home.dept

Each serving of MyProtein powder has 19g of protein and there are about 200 servings in each 11# bag, which works out to just 1.45 cents per gram of protein or about 27.5 cents per serving.

Doesn't get much cheaper than THAT!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Isopure Whey Isolate is unflavored and blends well with pretty much everything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Why does he have to add it to his oatmeal? Why not just get some chocolate whey protein and mix it with milk so it tastes like a chocolate milk drink?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why does he have to add it to his oatmeal? Why not just get some chocolate whey protein and mix it with milk so it tastes like a chocolate milk drink?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This would be my preference, mix a flavoured protein powder with milk and let him have it as a milkshake to accompany his oats.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    cronus70 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This would be my preference, mix a flavoured protein powder with milk and let him have it as a milkshake to accompany his oats.

I, on the other hand, find the texture of protein shakes to be disgusting, and as a child it would have triggered a very strong gag reflex., so I would have eaten the oatmeal before I could choke down the shake.

I would encourage you to experiment and see what your child likes-- oatmeal or shake, chocolate or vanilla, or plain. Maybe start with one or two that you can get on sale. Here's my current collection, which all have their pros and cons taste and texture-wise, but the trait they all share is that I got them all at about half price by checking at different stores.

[ps. While I like it as an adult, as a kid, I would have HATED the hemp powder because it turns oatmeal a truly wretched shade of green.]

qc2mkraw1qer.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Muscle Pharm, Body Tech, ON and Dymatize all mix with oats pretty well. But you can also look at www.labdoor.com for efficacy. And I tend to max a lot of recipes from www.theproteinchef.co when it comes to oatmeal.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    I would call and ask what brand they recommend or what ingredients she would like to avoid since this is for medical purposes. Seems they should recommend something.

Echoing this.

But, if the doctor doesn't care, I but my protein powder from Aldi's now. $15 for a 2/lb can.

You'll find that aside from very specialized users, the different protein powders are all the same, generally: Whey protein.
  • frankbacon33
    frankbacon33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Most nutrition stores will allow you sample proteins. It takes some trail and error to find the right one for you. My go to is to get a vanilla favor powder. From there you can favor it with about anything.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

He could do a shake, but we don't usually buy milk, and he eats oatmeal every morning anyway, so one less dish to wash and perishable grocery to keep stocked if we do it that way.

If I am making a smoothie I'll throw some in, but I'm not going out of my way to make one daily at the moment.

Luckily he is an easy-going kid who doesn't mind green oatmeal, etc.

I will order a few samples of the brands mentioned and check out the whey offering at Costco.
  • trorion
    trorion Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I buy the powder which offers the most protein for the least cost.

That's where I was going to to...what's on sale. You can always buy it bulk at places like Sprouts, I think bulk soy protein runs about $3/lb but don't quote me.