I hated it, but now I love it (or I'm trying to!)

Options
This is a forum to share healthy foods that you thought you could never love, but after some trial and error, found to be the best food ever!

My own case: unsweetened, unflavoured Farmers Union Greek yogurt (125 g usually). By putting some blueberries (frozen, Select, because I'm cheap!) on top, usually 75-100 g, I have found my new favourite food! It's only been a few days and already I have begun to enjoy the plain Greek yogurt without the blueberries, all I needed was to get accustomed to the tang by using a healthy topping at first.

What's your stories, or what are some foods that you just CANT STAND? Maybe the community can offer some suggestions!

I'll start: I despair at the thought of tomatoes. How should I prepare them so they aren't so gelatinous and squishy??? :neutral:

Replies

• dawn_westbury
    dawn_westbury Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Bake them with some seasoning and parmesan cheese on top! Soooo good! http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/249254/baked-parmesan-tomatoes/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This is a forum to share healthy foods that you thought you could never love, but after some trial and error, found to be the best food ever!

My own case: unsweetened, unflavoured Farmers Union Greek yogurt (125 g usually). By putting some blueberries (frozen, Select, because I'm cheap!) on top, usually 75-100 g, I have found my new favourite food! It's only been a few days and already I have begun to enjoy the plain Greek yogurt without the blueberries, all I needed was to get accustomed to the tang by using a healthy topping at first.

What's your stories, or what are some foods that you just CANT STAND? Maybe the community can offer some suggestions!

I'll start: I despair at the thought of tomatoes. How should I prepare them so they aren't so gelatinous and squishy??? :neutral:

I've found I can only eat raw tomato if I cut them in half, scoop out all the gooey seedy innards and just cut up the exterior. Then it has more the texture of capsicum and I quite like them.

• mehlerscasada
    mehlerscasada Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bake them with some seasoning and parmesan cheese on top! Soooo good!

omg! sounds amazing. I might just have to try that! What kind of seasoning do you recommend? My go-to is Tony Chachere but I'd love to experiment!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Can't stand liver. Don't think I'll EVER change my mind.

I also can't stand sea urchin sushi. Haven't had one serving I liked even though I've tried it 3 times.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alatariel75
    Options
    I used to hate yogurt, in all forms. Now I've found I quite like it as a savoury thing. I don't think I'll ever enjoy it as a sweet thing, as I dislike fruit.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Kale and collards!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm not fond of tomatoes ... but I like enough other fruits and veggies that I don't have to like tomatoes.

BTW - the only way I like tomatoes is sliced in a cheese sandwich with lots of salt and pepper.

But in general, I like enough food to keep me satisfied and healthy ... I don't have to try to develop a love for things like mushrooms and oysters.

1ef26e678e5ad57b3bce7348f15e1c8c.jpg

• Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I dislike lots of foods I'm so picky, but when I decide I don't like it that's it I won't try again and again to like it. Allthough I too don't like tomatoes, but sundried tomatoes stuffed in a chicken breast with some motzerella I will eat :smiley:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

I sometimes peel and deseed them. Cut a cross shape at the "end" (to make it easier to peel). Put them in boiling or just boiled water. (If I'm using them for a pasta sauce, I'll stick them in the pasta cooking water. If I'm not boiling anything, then putting them in a bowl and pouring a kettle of boiling water over them works. After 30 seconds stick them in cold water to cool for a few seconds. The skins should just slide off. Cut them in half, and just scoop out the seeds with your fingers (clean hands, obviously!). The texture of tomatoes seems quite different if you don't have the seeds and skins.

Anyway, I used to hate avocados. I found them slimy and bland. I love them now!

• mehlerscasada
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

But in general, I like enough food to keep me satisfied and healthy ... I don't have to try to develop a love for things like mushrooms and oysters.

OMG! That image of yours made me laugh out loud. I've found the only way I can stomach oysters is when they're very much cooked and wrapped with BACON. (But I'm pretty sure I only ate them for the bacon, anyway!) I agree--you don't have to necessarily love any kind of food. Originally I also hated sushi...not anymore (but I prefer cooked fish!), and I think portion control above everything is really the only important thing about diet. :)
  • mehlerscasada
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »

The texture of tomatoes seems quite different if you don't have the seeds and skins.

Anyway, I used to hate avocados. I found them slimy and bland. I love them now!

That sounds okay, kind of like grapes? Hahaha.

How did you figure out loving avocados? Usually I can only stomach them with chips or on toast. I absolutely can't eat them with eggs like my mother, and I'm not a fan of the texture. Any ideas? Should I use a firmer avocado, etc?

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas, lima beans, chicken and beef liver. There is really nothing that can be done to make these palatable to me.
  • FindingAwesome
    FindingAwesome Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The first time I had avocado I almost threw up. Now, I love them. I have no idea what changed. Lol
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hated Greek yogurt, but I have found two varieties I really like. Yoplait Greek 100 and Tillamook Farmstyle Greek. Both are breakfast staples now.
  • Kellm1218
    Kellm1218 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with overnight oats and overnight chia seed pudding! The chia seed pudding is soooo easy and filling. Literally just add almond milk, some raspberries, chia seeds, let it sit over night, and then BOOM! You have this amazing "pudding"
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    The first time I had avocado I almost threw up. Now, I love them. I have no idea what changed. Lol

I'm learning to like it in things, and spread on things, but I just can't bring myself to eat a chunk of it. The texture just icks me out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options

The only way I like avocado is in guacamole. :grin:
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I do not like fish... Blergh. :sick:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Black eyed peas, lima beans, chicken and beef liver. There is really nothing that can be done to make these palatable to me.

Cornbread. Done.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Guacamole! I've hated it for my entire life up until about a year ago. Now I can't get enough of it! I'm still not a fan of just plain avocado though!