Unsure about calories

Options
So I was on 1200 calories and trying to burn 500 a day in addition to calories burned just existing. 4 weeks no loss....felt my body change and cloths fit differently, but no loss in problem areas ie: my stomach...I have now increased my calories to 1590 and still try to burn 500 a day. No gain per say and feel like I'm losing....is what was happening at 1200 calories metabolism slowin/ "starvation mode" /holding onto fat because im not feeding my body enough? I should mention I've lost 80lbs and would like to lose 40-50 lbs more. I updated my stats on mfp and thats where the new number of 1590 came from.

Stats
Female 39 yo
5"6'
Sw 280
Cw 200
Gw 150-160
2lbs loss per week desired

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your food?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Your intake is 1200 calories - 500 exercise = 700 for the day. And you are not losing? Do you use a food scale?
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat/ measuring cups for liquids etc....the only area that may be off is a casserole meal of sorts ie: chicken pot pie but i still try to estimate as best as I can.

I have just moved calories up 4 days ago so im thinking it may take a bit for my body to adjust....
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You say no loss in "problem areas" - have you lost weight overall in that time? Because you can't pick where the weight comes from.
  • georgeous66
    Options
    Up util the last few weeks the 1200 calories was working for me and i definitely saw the result if i ate to many calories...like clock work...but then nothing ....everything just stopped....so i put my new info into mfp goals and it gave me 1590 calories...and if ive figured it out correctly i personally need 2300 - 2600 a day to maintain....so at 1590 + 500 burned and eating some of those back i should still lose...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce and no, eating more doesn't result in more weight loss.
  • georgeous66
    Options

I know i cant spot reduce and i realize eating more wont result in MORE weight lost....the reason I increased my calories is because I dont think i was getting enough. At 1590 I should still lose (as i need 2300-2600 to maintain) ....i think i was losing muscle vs. Fat because my body needed more calories. Just wanted some ideas thats all....
  • georgeous66
    Options
    You say no loss in "problem areas" - have you lost weight overall in that time? Because you can't pick where the weight comes from.

I have lost 80lbs.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

I have lost 80lbs.

I meant in the 4 weeks where you say there's been no loss in your problem areas. You say you feel different and your clothes feel better.
  • georgeous66
    Options
    Oh sorry...no loss. up and down within a pound or two.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry...no loss. up and down within a pound or two.

I usually lose my weight in two big wooshes every month. But the since January it is even less often. I don't know what this is all about. I still lose exactly the amount I expect to, based on my deficit. But so very rarely! For example my weight kept going up and down half a pound for 6 weeks between mid Jan and end of Feb. And then bam - 3lbs down - exactly as much as I should have lost in that time (I'm healthy bmi and lose slowly at a small deficit). I have no idea why this is happening. I don't exercise other than walking.
    Since then my weight hasn't dropped anymore. I expect another 2lbs down any time now! Hopefully not in another 3 weeks again!
    But I'm never worried. I know that I'm measuring my food properly and since I don't believe in magic I guess I just need to be patient.

So it happens. Maybe just wait a bit more like me and hope?

• jetsman37
    jetsman37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You need to set up your macros along with your calories. If you think you are losing muscle instead of fat you need to increase your protein intake to at least .8g per lb of bodyweight. Also- what does your excercise regiment look like? Try including somr HIIT and free weights to increase your calorie burn over the course of the entire day.
  • georgeous66
    Options
    I have increased my protein and teying to mix things up as far as activity. Fingers crossed my body is just on a pause and things will start happening soon. Thanks all for info/ideas
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Unless it allows you to increase your calories out by more than you increase the calories in. If a slight increase in "calories in" gives enough of an energy boost to work out harder/longer or increase NEAT significantly, it'll help. BUT that usually requires that the person is trying to move more, so you're right in most cases.
  • georgeous66
    Options
    So up'd my calories by 390 (from 1200 to 1590) ....kept everything else the same. I'm down 4 lbs in 7 days...guessing my body wanted/needed more to re set my metabolism. Feeling less bloated too....fingers crossed. :) p.s im not aiming to lose 4 lbs every week...lol as magical as that would be.....
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I weigh meat/ measuring cups for liquids etc....the only area that may be off is a casserole meal of sorts ie: chicken pot pie but i still try to estimate as best as I can.

I have just moved calories up 4 days ago so im thinking it may take a bit for my body to adjust....

Weigh all of your raw ingredients and put them in the recipe builder. Weigh your finished dish (subtract the weight of the actual pot/dish) and set that number as your 1g or 100g servings.

That way when you weigh out your amount on your plate, you can log that number of servings easily.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, 80 pounds lost is a wonderful accomplishment!
    Remember as well that as you get closer to your goal, the rate of loss is going to slow down. 2 pounds per week may no longer be appropriate. Unfortunately, the last 50 pounds may take a lot longer than the first 80 did. But, you obviously know what you're doing, so you'll get there. Just try not to get too discouraged.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    4 day is nothing. Follow for a few weeks. You will see results.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Weigh all solids (meat, pasta, grains, fruit, veg, bread, eggs, cheese, etc) raw, and semi solids (butter, peanut butter, mayo) on a food scale in grams. Only use cups/spoons for actual liquids (no measuring solid foods in cups- highly innacurate).

Have you had high sodium days? Are you near TOM? Have you added/increased exercise? All of these cause temporary fluid retention.