Finally in maintenance and about to go on vacation..

Options
Friday my husband and I leave for a week in Mexico to an all inclusive resort. I've been comfortable in maintenance for a few weeks now and I don't want to ruin it. I have a history of binge eating and I'm worried about all the food that's going to be the center of the trip. How am I going to track? I do the whole find something similar in MFP but a week is a long time to do this. I want to enjoy my vacation, but I don't want to come back having to get back out of bad habits that have taken me over a year to break. Any suggestions?!

Replies

• Neckita
    Neckita Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this! If I were you, I would keep the breakfasts and dinners light and in your "somewhat normal" eating routine but allow lunches to be your free vacation meal. :) Stay active (swimming burns a TON of calories) and enjoy your time. You can get back to the MFP routine soon enough
  • PaigeMed
    PaigeMed Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Neckita wrote: »
    I totally understand this! If I were you, I would keep the breakfasts and dinners light and in your "somewhat normal" eating routine but allow lunches to be your free vacation meal. :) Stay active (swimming burns a TON of calories) and enjoy your time. You can get back to the MFP routine soon enough

Yes I agree totally I CAN get back into routine when I get back! I will definitely stay active too.
  • ellengiller
    ellengiller Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Stick to fruit and savor all the ready-cut and prepared salad stuff/ healthier foods. Remind yourself how good you feel presently. But allow yourself to enjoy, even if that means not sticking to you "usual." Have a good plan for when you get home too! Enjoy!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I go on cruises so fully understand the AI experience.

I give myself the first day to splurge. Eat and drink anything so long as I can still stand unassisted.

After that I keep the portion sizes I learnt on MFP in mind. I will often decide my dinner early in the day then build the day around that. Or if it is going to be waffles with the works for breakfast the rest of the day will be lighter.

The drinks can be a killer. I will do light beer during the day so I can have a couple of cocktails at night. Use 0 cal soda in mixed drinks.

I am very active on my hols so work off a few hundred of excess calories without even thinking about it. You can burn a ton having fun.

Do keep water at hand, hydration will help with the excess salt and water retention.

Oh talking of water retention- don't worry about your scale weight for a week after you get home, heat, excess salt, alcohol, and travel will put you up a good few pounds in water weight.

Have fun and don't let eating a little too much spoil your adventure.

Cheers, h.
  • PaigeMed
    Options
    Stick to fruit and savor all the ready-cut and prepared salad stuff/ healthier foods. Remind yourself how good you feel presently. But allow yourself to enjoy, even if that means not sticking to you "usual." Have a good plan for when you get home too! Enjoy!!

I am so excited for fruit! Thank you!
  • PaigeMed
    Options
    I go on cruises so fully understand the AI experience.

I give myself the first day to splurge. Eat and drink anything so long as I can still stand unassisted.

After that I keep the portion sizes I learnt on MFP in mind. I will often decide my dinner early in the day then build the day around that. Or if it is going to be waffles with the works for breakfast the rest of the day will be lighter.

The drinks can be a killer. I will do light beer during the day so I can have a couple of cocktails at night. Use 0 cal soda in mixed drinks.

I am very active on my hols so work off a few hundred of excess calories without even thinking about it. You can burn a ton having fun.

Do keep water at hand, hydration will help with the excess salt and water retention.

Oh talking of water retention- don't worry about your scale weight for a week after you get home, heat, excess salt, alcohol, and travel will put you up a good few pounds in water weight.

Have fun and don't let eating a little too much spoil your adventure.

Cheers, h.

Thank you so much! One thing that will be in my favor is I'm not a drinker! I just have the biggest sweet tooth known to man. I think I will throw my scale out the first week im home. Seriously I don't want it to ruin me on vacationing! I'm definitely going to try and plan my days as much as I can without driving my husband crazy!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Back when i was thin i'd always work out when i traveled with hubby on vacation. ... so go to the gym there, they'll have one..do an hour of cardio. I also would never indulge in the breakfast buffets. i'd always do an egg white omelet. Then I 'd enjoy lunch ..dinner drinks.. and didn't seem to gain.