Achilles Pain

Options
Oh god, it hurts so bad, I can barely walk. Any treatments, stretches or exercises to prevent and heal my poor ankle/heel area?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rest, ice and then understand what caused it.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I've been dealing with Achilles tendinitis for the past month. In my case it was probably due to a lot of hill running. I'm using a foam roller and massage, so far it seems to be helping but of course I'm also taking a break from running for a little while. Mine isn't so bad I can't walk, but I'd like to avoid it getting to that point. Look up foam rolling and massage techniques online, it might help.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Achilles as in the tendon that stretches up to your calf muscles?

Because you say ankle and heel area, and while the achilles tendon attaches down there - problems are usually felt further up if it's a problem.

Sure it's not your plantar, or ankle supporting tendons?

Fortunately the RICE method for initial help doesn't matter much exactly - it's the area of application.
    Once past 48 hrs though - you'll do better with specifics for stretches or massaging perhaps.
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Achilles as in the tendon that stretches up to your calf muscles?

Because you say ankle and heel area, and while the achilles tendon attaches down there - problems are usually felt further up if it's a problem.

Sure it's not your plantar, or ankle supporting tendons?

Fortunately the RICE method for initial help doesn't matter much exactly - it's the area of application.
    Once past 48 hrs though - you'll do better with specifics for stretches or massaging perhaps.

It hurts mainly right on the back of my heel, it feels extremely tight and sore and every step hurts. Idk maybe its heel spurs or something.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sounds like an achilles problem to me. Trust me, I'm an expert :(

First step: STOP WALKING. I cannot emphasise this enough. The achilles tendon doesn't have good blood supply and it's in constant use, so it doesn't heal easily. The best thing you can do in the early stages of achilles injury is to rest it and give it a chance to start healing.
    Second step: Stretches. Google for 'achilles stretches', you should get something like this: webmd.com/fitness-exercise/stretches-for-achilles-tendon-problem Stretch gently; it's OK if it hurts a little, but it should get better over the course of the stretch, not worse.
    Third step: SLOOOOOW rehabilitation. Once you can go for walks, go for SHORT walks, little and often. It is better to do too little and take longer than to do too much and have to start over.

In the meantime, you may want to take up cycling or weights as alternative methods of keeping fit.

Source: the past three years of my life...