Low carb - high protein VEGAN

Options
Hi I'm currently veggie and trying desperately to make the chance into vegan but without eggs I fall way under protein all the time! (Even with eggs on below my target) I use vegan protein shakes as it is.. / use this in smoothies & protein pancakes also. I'm noticing a lot of veggie/vegan foods are also high calorie.. Anyone have any tips/help?

Also lentils recipes? I prep a load at the start of the week in a tom sauce (spag bol) basically but anyone have any other recipes they like using them?

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    you might find something good at dietdoctor.com there is a section on vegan lchf. I dont know how much is there...i didnt really read it
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A low carb high protein vegan diet will automatically exclude such nutrient dense plant proteins like beans and lentils which are high carb. What's the point? You'll have to resort to protein powders. Sounds unhealthy to me, if health is a priority.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    There are, or were, a few low carb vegans in the Low Carber Daily MFP group. I believe they were LCHF though. High protein is a bit tougher. Very low carb, ketogenic diets are pretty tough on a vegan menu, but there are a few vegetarians around who do that.

• aprildrake
    aprildrake Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A low carb high protein vegan diet will automatically exclude such nutrient dense plant proteins like beans and lentils which are high carb. What's the point? You'll have to resort to protein powders. Sounds unhealthy to me, if health is a priority.

Yeah this is what I thought.. By low carb I mean 40% of my macro's so not low low.. Just struggle getting high protein without pushing my carb Marco over! Thanks thou x
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Since you're vegan, plants are your source of nutrients.. be it protein, carbs or fat. Fruits and vegetables are naturally higher in carbs than eggs, meat or other animal products. It would be rather unsustainable if you were to stick with the low carb high protein diet, and you would also battle to reach other nutrient needs. Carbs are not the enemy, as they fuel our bodies and muscle! I'm a hclf vegan and I meet my protein goals just by focusing on my carbs! Hemp, chia and pumpkin seeds are rather high in protein, if you don't mind the fat. Tofu is also very high protein. :)
  • MAH80T50
    MAH80T50 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try Hemp, Soya, Rice or Pea proteins ... They're pretty good and unlike the whey powders (which are obviously not suitable to a vegan) they're not full of sugar and other crap, they're just 100% what they say on the packet ... I'm neither vegetarian or vegan, but I'm lactose intolerant and wheat intolerant and I have been using hemp protein for about a year and it's great stuff - it doesn't constipate me, give me wind or taste like soil, it smells earthy, but it's almost undetectable in food and drinks.

If you're in the UK the brand I use is Pulsin, they're available in Holland & Barrett and Amazon - I buy mine from Amazon, it's a heck of a lot cheaper.
  • rsipock
    rsipock Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I was eating veganly for over six years one of my mainstays was seitan--basically patties you make from gluten flour. I also loved (and still do love) farinata which is a flatbread you make with chickpea flour and oil. Other than that I would normally just eat a cup of beans and vegetables, not exactly low-carb but when you're living the lifestyle you do what you have to do.
  • ingleberry132
    ingleberry132 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I've recently joined a closed facebook group called Nicki's Vegan Weight Loss Cafe and am finding it to be really useful for tips and recipe sharing ideas - Nicki is a vegan nutritionist and has answers to all of these type of queries. I'd recommend it.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Why the heck would you be low carb and vegan? That doesn't make any sense because vegetables and fruit have carbs there is no getting around that. Drop the low carb and eat tofu, tempeh, seitan, beans and grains.
  • Ellenvieth
    Ellenvieth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to be both mindful of meat eating- as well as also trying to battle insulin resistance and diabetes without medication. It's tough... I have made some adjustments- eating primarily veggies, and low carbs, but have included fish and occasionally some lean poultry when my body needs it... I know this is not something many would choose to do- with a commitment to reversing and controlling my blood sugar it seems necessary- The brain fog from carbs was debilitating... Good Luck everyone.
  • vwillan
    vwillan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Google "no meat athlete". He has tons of vegan recipes and ideas. He is coming out with a full cookbook soon, but you can get a lot of information off of his website. http://www.nomeatathlete.com/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Pea protein is your friend. Very low in carbs. Very high in protein. Obviously plant-based.
  • carolannemclachlan
    carolannemclachlan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried it that way on meat replacements there's the new vegan quorn pieces. It was horrendous I'm not a meaty person though.
    I agree with jordan though, is this definitely the way you want to go? there is loads of high carb low fat vegan athletes.
    There's different variations but for example they 60carb/20fat/20protein macros look up naturallystephanie on instagram she's high carb weight lifter.
    Also for inspiration to make full step to vegan https://youtu.be/vBtfzd43t8o mic the vegan does loads informative videos well researched about health implications of what food certain food does ect