How to curb cravings?

Options
I have been having intense soda cravings ever since i stopped drinking it, and its to the point where i even had some today! Can anyone give me any advice?

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Work out if moderation, where you allow yourself it occasionally is a better way for you. If you have to abstain try figuring out what you like about the sofa and see if you can reproduce that aspect in another way.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I deal with cravings by giving in to them :)

...but in the smallest and most low-cal way possible. If I'm craving coconut macaroons I buy a packet and eat one; the rest go in an airtight box, or get thrown away if I think they'll be too tempting. With soda I'd probably buy the exact soda I dreamed of, put a little into a cup, drink it slowly and really savour it, and pour the rest down the sink.

Getting rid of the ingrained 'you must not waste good food' has helped a lot with resisting temptation.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Drink the sugar free version.
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For me I crave the fizz rather than the flavour so just have sparkling water, not sure if that would be an option for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I switched to diet. Took a little getting used to, but it was worth saving the 290 calories.
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lemon water quenches my sugar cravings. I sip water all day to prevent intense thirst that craves sugar, in addition to unsweetend green and white tea (up to 6 or so cups in a day).

I have been super hydrated lately and have had the fewest sugar cravings of my life!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke.. you'll get used to it and not be able to handle the sugary version anymore
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm a HUGE soda freak - love Mountain Dew and Coke. I've switched to flavored, carbonated waters like ICE and LaCroix with just a squirt of liquid Stevia in them for a bit more sweetness. It helps the craving but one day a week, I still allow myself a Mountain Dew. I don't think I'll ever cut them completely out, I just have a 12oz can instead of a 20oz bottle and I make the calories work for the day.
  • daniel_parrett
    daniel_parrett Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    coke zero or the 10 calorie versions of some sodas
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was a big soda drinker myself and now its been years since not having any. You'll have bad headaches for a couple days if you stop cold turkey. That's what I did so I could just get it over with and not think about it. I replace it with tea I hate coffee so I have hot green tea every day some teas have a fruity taste I use to drink salada mango tea and it wasn't far from mtn dew so that was a big help. If I do feel like having something fizzy which is rare now I'll go for sparkling water. Even fruit can take your mind off soda sometimes you go for soda if you crave sweets so when that happens have fruit on hand!
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    La Croix helps alot!
  • bellfieldcarlee
    bellfieldcarlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Club soda with a smidge of crystal light for flavor...or perhaps lemon/lime wedges.
  • mystic_elegance
    mystic_elegance Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I personally struggled with soda addiction for about 17 years, try sparkling water! I swear by sparkling water, you have to try different brands and different flavors until you find one that works for you but after you do that you can quit the sparkling water with fruit infused water or mio and other things until all you drink is water! :wink:
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I have been having intense soda cravings ever since i stopped drinking it, and its to the point where i even had some today! Can anyone give me any advice?

Either save the calories for the regular calorie version (I very rarely like to waste my calories on calorific drinks unless it's a rare milkshake or frap) or drink Diet soda.

If it's just the flavor you like then I would suggest to try out different Mio or other water enhancers. I love the Jolly Rancher Watermelon the most.
  • asianolikeyou
    asianolikeyou Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It's best to cut soda out completely - reaching for the diet kind like some people are suggesting can be just as bad. When I first gave up soda, I found it helped to reach for a sparkling water then switch to just regular kind. Flavoring your water with lemon, lime, cucumber, etc. can make it easier to drink, too.
  • KWFitLiving
    KWFitLiving Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and wait 15 minutes. Sometimes, this helps with mild cravings.

Don't grab a diet -- they're many times worse than the regular sodas. When I gave up soda, for me it was the "fizz" that I missed. Grab a flavored sparkling water. I really like Sparkling Ice and they come in a ton of flavors.