How much weight gain do you get if you eat sodium high foods?

And is this weight gain permanent?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Impossible to say.

No, it's not. Weight gain from water retention is part of life. Accept it and move on. Weight gain from fat gain is what most people should be paying attention to.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    you limit sodium to lower the blood pressure on your veins and arteries so they last as long as possible and you live to a healthy old age.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I retain water fairly significantly. If I go eat Mexican or Chinese, I can easily gain 5 lbs overnight. Everyone is different, though. The weight is simply water weight and you can get rid of it by flushing your system with... more water. Just drink a lot of water for a couple of days afterwards and your weight will go back to the original weight.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Unless you are wrestling/fighting/whatever where you have to "make weight" you should never worry about anything within a 10lb window for guys or a 5lb window for girls.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited March 2017
    I consistently go way over my sodium markers and lose weight. Most likely, I've always eaten this way, so my body is sort of used to it (i.e. when I started my weight-loss, I didn't 'up' my sodium. It might even have lowered with my calories).

ETA: My blood pressure has gone down from 130/90 to 125/85 in the last six months and I haven't been medically advised to watch my salt, so for now it's not a concern. In case of plateau, it's something I'm aware of and might need to address, along with the fact that I still use measuring cups for dry ingredients in recipes and entries like "1 medium onion", etc.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I consistently go way over my sodium markers and lose weight. Most likely, I've always eaten this way, so my body is sort of used to it (i.e. when I started my weight-loss, I didn't 'up' my sodium. It might even have lowered with my calories).

Just like all the other RDA's the sodium limit is just a generalization. If you sweat a lot, you lose salt and have to eat more to replenish it. Contrary to popular belief, salt isn't evil, in fact it is necessary for cell transport. TOO MUCH salt is bad, but how much an individual needs is not going to be accurate by looking at the RDA unless you just so happen to be average!
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    edited March 2017
    ham
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    I retain water fairly significantly. If I go eat Mexican or Chinese, I can easily gain 5 lbs overnight. Everyone is different, though. The weight is simply water weight and you can get rid of it by flushing your system with... more water. Just drink a lot of water for a couple of days afterwards and your weight will go back to the original weight.

Same for me. I've seen ~ 5 lb gain from pizza followed by Chinese (over 2 days). It's all water (I was ~ maintenance for calories) and took ~ 4 days to really go away.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member

Same for me. I've seen ~ 5 lb gain from pizza followed by Chinese (over 2 days). It's all water (I was ~ maintenance for calories) and took ~ 4 days to really go away.

Or do your cardio in a trash bag. That'll knock it out in 2 days, maybe one if its hot or you're outside in the sun.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    jdb3388 wrote: »

Or do your cardio in a trash bag. That'll knock it out in 2 days, maybe one if its hot or you're outside in the sun.

I know you are joking, but to me this is the benefit of weighing daily and using Trendweight. I know why my weight went up, I know it wasn't fat, I know the water will go away in it's own time and my trendline is going down nicely despite some hiccups. There is no need to stress about it or do something dumb to move the scale, I can just accept that my weight went up because of water and get on with my day.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Water weight gain =/= fat weight gain.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    High sodium is a scale killer but not a weight killer. I never knew sautéed spinach was such a sodium bomb, or that lentil soup was a sodium nuclear explosion, same for frittatas. I now pre-log what I am going to eat to see what evils are lurking in what I thought would be healthy food and scale friendly. Unless my wife is cooking dinner.....then I eat whatever she cooked and don't complain or be a calorie wonk.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    None. I'm low carb and I eat about half a teaspoon of salt a day on my food. It does not cause weight gain.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2017
    I usually go up 2-3lbs after a high sodium day. It typically drops off within a couple of days, i make sure and drink plenty of water to hurry it out a bit quicker.

ETA: No need to overdo it and drink Gallons and gallons of water. I stick between 3-3.5L
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I can go up as much as 2kg from a higher sodium day or when I drink alcohol, but it tends to clear in a day or two. If I increase my water intake the same day, there is far less scale damage.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    mine is always high but I drink lots and lots of water and it helps. I do not panic if my weight goes up because I know thats what it is and its gone in a few days usually. Hasnt affected my losing at all.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I can see 2-3lbs depending on the meal even if I was under calories and no it's not permanent unless you count that you will always have natural fluctuations