building muscles at home

Options
How do i tone up and build muscles without having a gym membership?

Replies

• JacobNicolaus
    JacobNicolaus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd advise Darebee programs (take a look at 30 Days of Gravity and Strength Protocol, as examples), most of which are designed for home and require no additional equipment. They are free, and the site recommends you a suggested meal plan as well.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out You Are Your Own Gym. No equipment needed. Alternatively you could start to build a home gym with dumbbells, kettle bells and if space allows a squat/power rack and Olympic bar. Check out Craigslist, offerup and garage sales.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I been doing it. A lot of people think I have a gym membership. Get some weights and a weight lifting video that is suitable for you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you have the space and money, build a gym of your own at home. That's what I and many others have done.

If you don't have the space and money for a home gym, you can just do body weight exercises, starting w/just walking, jogging and/or running.

Got any stairways in your areaa - - on the streets or in buildings? Walking up and down them is another great exercise.

Pullups, pushups and dips (w/or w/o additional wt) are great upper body exercises, as are squats and lunges for the lower body.

You'd only need to buy a door frame bar for the pullups. Nothing needed to do pushups and you can do dips between 2 sturdy high back chairs, stools or similar devices. You can do body weight squats anywhere and you can do lunges while walking.

If you can afford one, buy a weighted vest which you can use while doing any of the exercises above after you've gotten strong enough to need additional resistsnce.

Don't waste your time w/situps or crunches. If you want to work on your core, wear your weighted vest to walk around in OR get a duffle bag of the proper size for the weight you can carry and fill it w/smaller bags of sand (1 gallon ziplocks would work) to the weight you can handle and walk around w/the bag on the shoulder. Extra credit if you do this up and down stairs.

Do this and eat well regularly and the pounds will melt off and you'll get stronger and shredded in no time.

Good luck!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Look into bodyweight training, as previously mentioned. A TRX or similar suspension system is REALLY versatile, doesn't take up much room, and are pretty reasonably priced if you wanted to start with some basic equipment.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    There a lot of great Home Videos and YouTube videos personally I'm a fan of Tony Horton's Beachbody workouts.

If you want to build muscle and tone up you're better off using weights then resistance bands. The resistance bands are a great way to start but over time you'll get a much better routine using weights. If you're in United States target cells adjustable dumbbell sets that go from like two and a half so I think 25 pounds asset will run you $120
  • saeidrasoli1212
    saeidrasoli1212 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    install workout trainer
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Check out You Are Your Own Gym. No equipment needed. Alternatively you could start to build a home gym with dumbbells, kettle bells and if space allows a squat/power rack and Olympic bar. Check out Craigslist, offerup and garage sales.

+1