Supplements

Options
2»

Replies

• tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I love hair, nails, and skin supplements. Everything else I try to get in my normal diet, though occasionally I'll take iron.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    On my doctor's recommendation:

Daily:
    multivitamin
    Vitamin D (Canadian)
    A nail, hair, skin supplement (this fat loss is destroying my hair and nails)

Weekly:
    Iron
    B complex
  • suz829
    suz829 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Multi, vit A, C, D, E, K, fish oil, DHEA, collagen, biotin & turmeric
  • andrewq6100
    andrewq6100 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Whey, Multi Vit, Fish oil, CLA, BCAAS (then of course a pre workout if needed)
  • jetsman37
    jetsman37 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I take a few things. I take vitamin D daily as well as whey protein. I also take a pre-workout powder to give me extra energy to push me through toucgh workouts. I also take 5-10 grams of BCAA's prior to lifting. Finally I take creatine to assist in muscle recovery. I think it all comes down to what your goals are. It is important to remember that supplements are just that- supplements to a healthy well rounded diet. Too many people avoid healthy foods, fill there calories with crap and expect their supplements to do all of the work. That is the wrong approach!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

If you have Whey, you don't need BCAA's; at least according to some of the more recent scientific reviews of them. Whey contains BCAA's and if you are even remotely eating around the workout, you are getting adequate amino acids.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    jetsman37 wrote: »
    I take a few things. I take vitamin D daily as well as whey protein. I also take a pre-workout powder to give me extra energy to push me through toucgh workouts. I also take 5-10 grams of BCAA's prior to lifting. Finally I take creatine to assist in muscle recovery. I think it all comes down to what your goals are. It is important to remember that supplements are just that- supplements to a healthy well rounded diet. Too many people avoid healthy foods, fill there calories with crap and expect their supplements to do all of the work. That is the wrong approach!

I definitely agree, with you. There are far many more priorities than the need to even take supplements. Eric Helms prioritizes nutrition as demonstrated by the below image.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you have Whey, you don't need BCAA's; at least according to some of the more recent scientific reviews of them. Whey contains BCAA's and if you are even remotely eating around the workout, you are getting adequate amino acids.

Below is one of the latest reviews from Alan Aragon (posted by another member SideSteel):
    Alan Aragon:

Hey everyone, a frequently recurring topic is BCAA supplementation. A lot of folks are simply unaware of the actual data, so they needlessly waste their hard-earned cash on BCAA supps. This might not be music to the ears of folks locked in a routine of taking their favorite supp, but my hope is that it gives some of you food for thought, and ultimately helps you zap an unnecessary (and potentially detrimental) item from your supplement shopping list.

The high-quality proteins in our diets are comprised of appx 18-26% BCAA as it is. Supplementing with extra BCAA on top of that can range from adding extra unnecessary calories (and metabolic burden), to actually inhibiting optimal use of ingested amino acids [1].

Let me also add that whey protein has a stronger anabolic/anticatabolic effect than its equivalent in supplemental EAA or BCAA [2]. It's no surprise that supplemental BCAA has an equivocal track record in the research [3,4]. For those concerned about "going catabolic" doing fasted cardio without AA supplementation, my colleagues and I found no difference in body comp effects between fed vs fasted cardio when total protein is sufficient (both groups retained their LBM) [5]. As for the ability of BCAA to inhibit muscle soreness, note that this is always compared to a non-protein placebo.

It's LOL to supp with BCAA to begin with (instead of an intact, high-quality protein such as whey, which provides the rest of the EAAs as well as other co-factors for anabolism -- but it's all moot if you're getting enough total daily protein anyway). Here’s a salient quote from a recent review [6]:

"Thus, as we speculated, consumption of crystalline BCAA resulted in competitive antagonism for uptake from the gut and into the muscle and was actually not as effective as leucine alone in stimulating MPS. Despite the popularity of BCAA supplements we find shockingly little evidence for their efficacy in promoting MPS or lean mass gains and would advise the use of intact proteins as opposed to a purified combination of BCAA that appear to antagonize each other in terms of transport both into circulation and likely in to the muscle.”

The only people who are not wasting time & money on supplemental BCAA are those who must maintain a low-protein diet, or a diet with restricted amounts of high-quality protein. With that all said, if your total daily protein is optimized, and you don't mind consuming the functional equivalent of really expensive flavored water, then be my guest. :)

1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27175106
    2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22451437
    3) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20110810
    4) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15930475
    5) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25429252/
    6) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26388782/
  • mhwitt74
    mhwitt74 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's a ton of different supplements. I see multivitamin and vitamin D the most though. Which is what I am considering starting on.
  • bluehayan
    bluehayan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm using a vegan protein powder because I don't like the bloating of whey. I'm also using BCAA's for post workout to go along with protein.

Aside from those, I'm taking greens to help supplement nutrients, multi-vitamin, a couple natural weight loss supplements to include a thermogenic fat burner, and a fat blocker that uses cactus leaf extract to bind to fat and carbs. Since I'm in my 30's I'm about to start on a new supplement that is supposed to help promote HGH production as well.
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Glucosamine/MSM
    Iron
    Protein shake when needed (I switch between plant-based and whey depending on what i'm in the mood for)