Does squatting give you a bigger bum?

Options
Zara_Pi
Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Is this true? I don't fancy having a big bum.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It can help but don't worry the muscles won't get huge out of nowhere without proper training and calories. Also squats are a great overall lower body movement that involve the glutes but there are many other exercises that better target them
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It can help you retain or build muscle, which may or may not mean a bigger butt. It's one variable among many.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's unlikely you'll gain an as$ in a deficit.... But squatting might help retain muscle to make sure you have a shapely but when you lose fat...

Who doesn't want a perky as$?
  • Deadlifting_Away_Doritos
    Options
    I'm glad it's not the 90s anymore :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely you'll gain an as$ in a deficit.... But squatting might help retain muscle to make sure you have a shapely but when you lose fat...

Who doesn't want a perky as$?

I know right. But I am sure there are some people out there! Different strokes for different folks I suppose
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Squatting in a deficit or maintenance didn't make my bum bigger, but it did help lift it. Squats, deadlifts, glute bridges and hip thrusts at maintenance (recomp) and above(bulking) did help build and round it out.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It depends on your depth, stance, and which is your most dominant muscle during your squats. I'm very quad dominant due to a closer stance and toes pointed out. So squatting does very little in terms of glute development for me. To make up for it I incorporate sumo deadlifts, glute bridges, and lunges. Big butts and muscular legs on woman are very attractive. So if you're blessed to have those then embrace it!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I did squats all through my deficit/ weight loss and I only got smaller. The only time it got bigger again was when I was eating in a surplus, and maybe a little at maintenance. Even then...I did a lot of extra glute work.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It really depends on a whole heap of factors, the squat comes in many forms.
    Proper weight training (with the aim to gain muscle) combined with a supportive diet will see your glutes grow. However, body weight squats with a calorie deficit - they probably won't grow.
    I've actually struggled to get my glutes to grow over the years.

If nothing else, take this away - if you're not trying really hard to gain muscle, you won't.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Is this true? I don't fancy having a big bum.

I can understand why you choose to disfavour a markedly prominent projection@buttocks: upper thighs. If you're of the sort who'll very likely amass in size (according to your standards/preferences of "what is too big"), by using light weights (repetitions), then maybe you may choose to consider sticking to bodyweighting, bands (suspension) training and/or stability balls if your preference is a tight and slight silhouette.

ETA: You NEEDN'T worry. You won't really gain there. It takes work, precision, diet, commitment and time. You're not going to get from subtle butt/"flat" butt to the popularised "squat butt" in a short time, unless you'll consider fat transfers/implants and what have you.
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm currently eating at maintenance and trying to do a bit of exercise. I really want to tone up and started following a video workout by Bodyfit by Amy yesterday. This involved a lot of squats and lunges with weights and I read here squats can give you a big bum.
    I know some people like it but me personally, I prefer to have a small bum. That's just the way I am comfortable with my body.

Having read all your helpful posts I will continue following the workouts, but obviously won't be focusing on just squats alone.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    I read here squats can give you a big bum.

someone might have already said this [i'm up too late to read closely]. but for perspective: even with 'heavy' progressive training designed to improve strength and generate hypertrophy, a woman is usually doing really well if she gains a pound of muscle over the course of a month. so go check out a few steaks in the supermarket to get a sense of how little 'bulk' that actually represents.

and even if you did nothing but squats, not all of the growth would occur in your glutes.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you won't accidentally get a big butt. :laugh:
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    It depends on your depth, stance, and which is your most dominant muscle during your squats. I'm very quad dominant due to a closer stance and toes pointed out. So squatting does very little in terms of glute development for me. To make up for it I incorporate sumo deadlifts, glute bridges, and lunges. Big butts and muscular legs on woman are very attractive. So if you're blessed to have those then embrace it!

This.

It's can improve it, though if you're doing high bar, front squats, or A2G you wont get much boom for your bum as doing low bar squats just below parallel with proper stimulus through programing. Genetics, age, lifting experience, and eating in a surplus plays roles as well.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    vrv67b7nqegj.jpg

Don't worry, developing naturally muscle takes a long time..
    You'll have plenty of time to adjust. Squat and Deadlifts are fantastic exercises that also can help develop your core.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    It can give you a better bum. Not always bigger, depending on your body. Just more lifted/shapely.