Alternatives

Options
This sounds silly but I haven't had any milk and sugar for 2 months since I started eating healthy. But now, I decided it's time to look for alternatives so I bought an "organic" coconut sweetener and non fat dried milk powder at the store last week. I've been adding those to my pre workout morning coffee for taste. I've been having black, plain black before. Any thoughts with coconut sugar and non fat dried milk? Do you think it helps? Thanks!

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Helps what?

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why you choose to use dried milk instead of liquid?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My pre-workout is a protein shake with milk and often jelly beans. Ultimately, sugar = sugar, but if you are looking for preworkout sugars, you want faster metabolizing ones to support quick energy. Or you can do a mix of fast metabolizing (glucose/dextrose) and ones that absorb slowly (fructose); so fruit. And if anything to eliminate pre workout, it's fat. It doesn't support exercise.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are:

- dried milk is still milk, kinda, but a lesser version
    - coconut sweetener is still a simple carbohydrate/free sugar

With that in mind I personally would think the whole milk 'healthier' than the dehydrated then reconstituted version and the cane sugar vs coconut sugar much of a muchness.

*organic just leave manufactured without added chemicals etc, not necessarily better for you.

I myself don't drink milk for GI reasons but I use unsweetened almond milk in place of it.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Why did you give up milk? I'm all about full fat cow's milk. (Or cow juice as my mum calls it).

I switched to almond or soy milk in hot drinks at work for a bit when my boss at the time had a super severe allergy - much easier than risking spilling milk or the cafe staff getting orders mixed. I liked the taste but back to cow milk now.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Helps what?

This. We need more info.

Also, coconut sugar is still sugar. Your body cannot distinguish between sugar types. Powdered milk still has calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The ONLY difference between dry skim milk powder and regular skim milk is that the dry has just been dehydrated. It's simply missing the water. Otherwise, it's exactly the same.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Dried milk powder and coconut sugar are healthier than regular milk and sugar in what way? "Complicated", "unusual" and "expensive" are not synonyms for "healthy".

I feel like I want this on a t-shirt.