BROWN RICE

Options
I am venturing into the unknown territory I'd like to call....BROWN RICE! Does anyone have any brown rice recipes to share???? :happy:

Replies

• j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VParee
    VParee Posts: 26
    Options
    Bump, I would like to also know this =D
  • farfalledibaciodinotte
    farfalledibaciodinotte Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i like to make it with cilantro and lime, then some tuna and put into a whole wheat tortilla. super yummo!!!
  • lockermama
    lockermama Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't have any particular recipes to share, but my family all prefer brown rice to white in any dish that calls for rice. It's nutty and more flavorful. Just have to add 2 1/4 cups of water (instead of 2) for each cup of rice, and cook longer, usually about 45 minutes for me on the stovetop.
  • Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    I do not have any but I heard you can use a little bit of orange juice when cooking it.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I Just started eating it. Have never had it before now and, actually just eat it plain or with low sodium soy sauce or hot sauce. I am a simple girl but it is tasty and like with white rice do not really see the need to dress it up too much :)
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I usually make "fried rice" with my left over brown rice.

2 or 3 cups of brown rice
    2 eggs scrambled
    1/2 cup frozen green peas
    1/3 cup shreded carrot
    1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
    talk to taste
    black pepper to taste (optional)

Scrambled the eggs then add the peas, carrot and the sesame seed oil over medium heat and serve. Enjoy.

You can also add leftover chicken or some small salad shrimp.
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i like to make it with cilantro and lime, then some tuna and put into a whole wheat tortilla. super yummo!!!
    that sounds tasty. I'd probably do some chicken instead of the tuna
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    Not off hand, but if you've not had short grain brown rice, it can be quite awesome. Way better with stir fry than long grain.

I use brown the same as white, just takes longer to cook. I love it in soups as well.
  • Reisse62
    Reisse62 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually make "fried rice" with my left over brown rice.

2 or 3 cups of brown rice
    2 eggs scrambled
    1/2 cup frozen green peas
    1/3 cup shreded carrot
    1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
    talk to taste
    black pepper to taste (optional)

Scrambled the eggs then add the peas, carrot and the sesame seed oil over medium heat and serve. Enjoy.

You can also add leftover chicken or some small salad shrimp.

That sounds really good. I used to live in Hawai'i and we ate fried rice for breakfast many days.
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Being Asian, I normally ate it plain. I prefer it over white rice since it is better for you. My husband likes it fried or have it made into Spanish Rice. Have you tried black rice? My mother just turned me on to it. Its an Asian long grain rice and what I do is add 1/2c to every cup of white or brown rice and it turns it purple. I like it because its chewier and the health benefits
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for posting this! I am trying brown rice all kinds of ways...I prefer to cook the old school brown rice (the one that takes about an hour to cook) because it's cheaper, and I like it more. I'm still new at this but I have added:

1) Chicken bullion - Wyler's makes a low sodium chicken bullion cube..I add two for 4 servings of rice..gives it really great flavor
    2) Added Curry spice - this was good...I just added it to the water and it really flavored the rice
    3) Cooked old school plain brown rice then added 1tbsp of lite Sour Cream...I know..sounds gross, but it made a really good combo..

I look forward to reading everyone else's responses!
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I do brown rice with beans, veggies, and EVOO almost daily. I use canned beans (drained and rinsed), and frozen broccoli/cauliflower/carrots or canned tomatoes. Here's a great meal-

1 cup brown rice
    1/2 cup black beans
    3 cups steamed veggies
    1 teaspoon EVOO
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Any recipe you have for white rice would also work with brown rice. I like to cook it then add parsley and fresh crushed garlic with a little extra virgin olive oil. So good!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You would use it just the same as white rice. Any recipe that calls for white rice you can substitute brown.
  • _Calvin_
    _Calvin_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice! I got a Zojirushi cooker which makes the best short or long grain brown rice with very minimal work. It was a splurge but I'm glad we have it :)

Here are two recipes we love. Both come out to around 500-600 calories per (large!) serving, which is perfect for dinner in our house.

Indonesian Rice Bowl with Peanut Sauce
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/indonesian-rice-bowl.html
    Made with brown rice and chicken, and I added pineapple chunks as well.
    My calculation using the recipe tool here for 1/4 of the recipe:
    cals 575
    carbs 53
    protein 38
    sodium 511
    fiber 7
    sugar 9

Fried Rice with Pork and Vegetables
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/almost-classic-pork-fried-rice-50400000109596/
    Doubled the veggies, used three eggs, and added sriracha hot sauce
    My calculation using the recipe tool here for 1/5 of the recipe:
    calories: 518
    carbs: 79
    protein: 22
    sodium: 701
    fiber: 4
    sugar: 6
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Make more then you need and freeze it in batches. Use it where ever you would use white rice. You can even eat it for breakfast with a little maple syrup, butter and nuts.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It's not a formal recipe, but I like to combine

2 cups brown rice
    1 can of great northern beans (rinsed)
    1 cup of chopped lettuce (not iceberg)
    various herbs
    1 cup of chopped vegetables (onions, green peppers)
    1/4 cup of omega 3 oil or olive oil

Serves 4
    chilled or room temperature
    Add a slice of cheese and you have a well-rounded meal

I like to bring it for lunch at work, along with a banana.