Calories with hot yoga

Options
Does anyone know how many calories are burned doing a vinyasa hot yoga class for 1 hour?

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Same as a non-hot class.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Not many above BMR

Personally I don't log yoga as its a pretty low figure
  • ChelseaHeights
    ChelseaHeights Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    According to my Fitbit today I burned 168 calories for a 75 minute class. I'm 130 pounds and I practice a Baptiste journey into power sequence. 90 degree room and 100% humidity

I didn't expect much of a burn because it's still yoga and honestly I don't do it for the calorie burn. It's a great workout for strength and flexibility.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga does not burn greater calories than noon-hot yoga. You just feel like your working harder.

And get other benefits like sweating out, muscle relaxation, metal focus.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Burns same as room temperature yoga...not much.
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Actually.. how many calories burned during Yoga does depend on which style you are using. For a 150lb person, 1 hr of each type burns...

Hatha Yoga: 189 calories. Hatha yoga is an umbrella term for what Westerners consider yoga. In truth, Hatha yoga is the actual physical practice of yoga postures, plain and simple. This is the basic, run-of-the-mill yoga class you may find at your gym or local studio if not noted otherwise. While part of the class may contain constant movement, a lot of it is also holding balance poses. Hatha classes are perfect for those who want to dip their toes in the yoga pool and get a great, relaxing flexibility workout.

Ashtanga Yoga (or Power Yoga): 351 calories. Ashtanga yoga is often referred to as Power Yoga because of its dynamic system that combines breathing and movement into a series of postures. It is both cardiovascular and meditative, and relies on the strength of your own muscles to perform the movements. Unlike many styles of yoga where the classes are choreographed differently, in Ashtanga Yoga classes, the postures performed are always the same and are done in a specific order. Ashtanga yoga is meant to purify the body by cultivating an “internal heat,” which burns off toxins. It also builds strength, flexibility and reduces stress.

Bikram or Hot Yoga: 477 calories. Hot yoga, which is preformed in a room heated to around 105 degrees and usually lasts around 90 minutes, is probably the most misunderstood form of yoga. “When the body is working hard to cool itself, as in a hot yoga class, heart rate does increase, but that does not necessarily mean there is a higher physical demand on the working muscles,” explains Lawson. “We might expect to lose anywhere from 1 to 3 pounds of water weight in a hot yoga class, but that is likely to be replaced when we rehydrate.”

Bikram yoga involves a sequence of 26 postures and two breathing exercises performed in the same order, no matter where you take your class. Hot yoga can involve any type of postures but is still performed in a heated classroom. You will sweat profusely, thereby ridding the body of toxins and the intense heat enhances flexibility in your muscles.

Vinyasa Yoga (Flow Yoga): 594 calories. Vinyasa yoga, often referred to as Flow because of the smooth way the poses run together, tops the list of calorie burners because of the constant movement. If you choose a Flow class, expect lots of burning muscles, not just stretching. Many love Vinyasa because of its diversity. There is no single sequence that teachers follow, so every class will be different, but intense.