Any Runners trying to train & lose weight?

Options
Looking for some inspiration/motivation.
I am training for a Full Marathon and hoping someone out there can confirm weight loss is still possible. Lol
I welcome new runner friends or new friends in general

Replies

• tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a 1/2 marathon. I'm doing this all while trying to lose weight too. Good luck!
  • pagsk1
    pagsk1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You too!!
  • kntrdr81
    kntrdr81 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have run a few full marathons, and weight loss is possible. Mke sure you are still getting enough nutrients. I would suggest only 1 pound a week.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I just started half marathon training, I'm in week 2. I'm trying to lose 5 pounds too. I feel like my runs will be just a bit easier if I can shed the extra pounds.
  • samia45
    samia45 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same camp! I want to optimize weight for marathon training.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've run 5 marathons and a bunch of other distance races. Then I stopped running for a long while and just started running again. I'm 10 pounds over my race weight, so trying to lose that now. Aiming for a half this fall and a full Marathon next spring.
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also, it's easier to lose weight while marathon training -- all those miles equal lots of calories expended!
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Both marathons I had run I had gone from my kind of normal weight of 165-170 up to my heaviest (190) and lost the 20 pounds over the course of marathon training without doing much change in diet just from the sheer number of calories burned each week. The advice I have always heard was never try to diet (i.e. eat at a deficit) while marathon training... you are going to need to eat to have the energy to run all those miles and not lose muscle mass, but what you can do is shift your nutrition so you are eating better. And do things like eat more carbs before runs/on run days so you actually burn them off. You will see positive results.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just started training for a half. I have a hard time with "runger" if my mileage goes to 30miles/week or more.