Baby carrots overload!! Good or bad?

Help! I just consumed like 15 baby carrots and I'm already to my carbs limit AND they sucked out my calories by almost 600 calories! What the heck! Does this really matter?.....Because it's a vegetable and clean eating/No preservation/some people say eat as much veggies and don't worry about it??? Any helpful advice?

Replies

• allisonl6
    allisonl6 Posts: 37 Member

Search our food database by name:

baby carrots
    Search

Matching Foods:

Compliments, 14 pieces, 30 calories
    Baby Carrots

Nutrition Facts
    Compliments - Baby Carrots
    Learn more
    Servings:

Calories 30 Sodium 65 mg
    Total Fat 0 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 7 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 4 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 100% Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 4%
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Unless it's water or clearly states it is calorie free then yes it counts. If you want to lose you must account for everything you eat even fruit and veggies. 15 baby carrots may have 30-60 calories so don't freak out.
  • SalmonSister
    SalmonSister Posts: 37 Member
    -_- WHOOPS, I really should of read the per serving.. Thanks guys!
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Honest mistake, but brings up a good point. I for one don't want to have to count calories for the rest of my life. I've noticed thought that my estimation of calories based on sight is getting better and ultimately i would like to refine it to where I can come pretty close without having to weight and measure forever. The other item i've had a drastic change on is the feeling of being full. I now feel full way sooner than i used to and that should also be able to help me not over consume (obviously it also depends on the food but that's why i'm making better choices). Ultimately, i'm using calorie counting to improve my behaviors and get to the point where my intake and portions sizes are second nature.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    I'm just curious as to what 600 calories of baby carrots even looks like!?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Just for the record, if you really did manage to consume 600 calories of baby carrots, the 600 calories matter just as much as if you had 600 calories of twinkies. "Clean" or not, vegetables or not, calories are calories. You'd probably need to go to the hospital though because that would be a LOT of carrots.

You also might turn orange LOL. My mom always tells the story how when I was a baby she rushed me to the pediatrician because I had a yellowish orange cast to my skin and she thought I was jaundiced or something. Turns out the only food she could get me to eat for a couple of days was carrots and yellow squash and the beta carotene was coloring my skin!

So yes log your carrots, and no they weren't 600 cals :) It's less important to be as exact with veggies because they aren't calorie dense, but they can still add up.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Just for the record, if you really did manage to consume 600 calories of baby carrots, the 600 calories matter just as much as if you had 600 calories of twinkies. "Clean" or not, vegetables or not, calories are calories.
    It would affect how hungry you are later though, wouldn't it? A Twinkie has about 150 calories. A lot of people could probably eat 4 Twinkies without it putting a dent in their hunger. But if you ate a quarter of those calories in carrots (whole, not juiced), you'd probably be full.
    You'd probably need to go to the hospital though because that would be a LOT of carrots
    Oddly enough, about 24 carrots.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Just for the record, if you really did manage to consume 600 calories of baby carrots, the 600 calories matter just as much as if you had 600 calories of twinkies. "Clean" or not, vegetables or not, calories are calories. You'd probably need to go to the hospital though because that would be a LOT of carrots.

You also might turn orange LOL.

People might think you were making a political statement, these days.

(I will definitely moderate my carrots!)
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 207 Member
    If you need to watch your Potassium intake (either up or down), do not rely on MFP for potassium levels. Much of the posted nutritional information is taken from the product labels. Product labels do not always include Potassium content. This does not mean the content is zero, it means the manufacturers chose not to include it.

I downloaded a spreadsheet from the US Government (it's at home and I'm at work so I can't give you the link now), where you can get specific information on thousands of food and drink items. Anyone interested can IM me and I'll get the link to you.

I'm on a potassium-restricted plan ~ baby carrots DO have potassium.