Business Travellers

Hello All. I'm on day 11 of my weight loss and get fit journey. My main struggle is that I travel for business pretty much every second week.

I'm looking to connect with others that have this same challenge. Maybe we can share ideas and tips for not letting it completely destroy your diet and exercise efforts. My last trip was 5 days and I gained 8 lbs and felt absolutely exhausted and unwell by the end of the week. The struggle is real.

If anyone else out there understands what it's actually like (as opposed to what non business travellers THINK it's like lol), let's connect and help each other with meaningful support and advice!

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    I travel pretty frequently for work. My trips are usually a day or two at a time but I've been on some projects where I was traveling for the entire week every other week. My best advice is to drink a lot of water to counteract the extra salt in the restaurant meals and use the hotel gym/pool whenever possible to get a workout in. I run, but I hate running on a treadmill so I bring my ipad down to the gym and watch Netflix while running.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    I usually book 5-6 meetings in each day to maximize the time and cost of the trip. So I end up at a breakfast, lunch and dinner meeting. Usually I am presenting at an event in the evening. So I've eaten in restaurants the entire day and I get back to my hotel around 9:30 pm and completely exhausted with about 2 hours of follow up emails to send from all the things I promised throughout the day. As much as I'd like to end my work day at 5 and go workout and go find a healthy dinner...it's just not realistic for me. I usually need to be up around 5-5:30 and I need to make sure I'm getting enough sleep. That's even tough to do most trips.

Maybe I should just start saying I have allergies so at the meal time meetings I can get away with not eating and just have a protein bar right before or after. But that's not healthy for days in a row either. I need lots of energy and quality fuel to get through it all. I try my best to make healthy choices. But the reality is even the healthy choices at restaurants are like triple the amount of calories that I should be having.

I don't know what the solutions are. Has anyone figured out how to exercise and burn calories while sleeping? Lol
  • junegemini87
    junegemini87 Posts: 1 Member
    I hit up the local grocery store and buy groceries to get me through the trip to avoid having to eat at restaurants for every meal. Use the hotel gym to stay active, and try my best to practice willpower lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2017
    I used to travel for business a lot...about 25 weeks out of the year. I always booked rooms that had a fridge and microwave and I'd shop at the grocery store...mostly I'd pick up stuff for sandwiches and salads, some fresh fruit, maybe a can or two of soup or a couple frozen entrees (bleh). Usually towards the end of the week we'd have a team dinner, but that's really the only time I'd eat out. We tended to work 12+ hour days and nobody was really in the mood to go out and eat together everyday.

I also brought my bike along sometimes, especially if it was somewhere new...otherwise I'd just get into the fitness center at some point everyday. A couple of my colleagues were avid runners, so sometimes I'd join them for a run. Even though we often returned to the hotel late, a good 30 minutes of exercise helped clear my head and was a good stress reliever and I would sleep like a baby.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    cdkelly wrote: »
    I usually book 5-6 meetings in each day to maximize the time and cost of the trip. So I end up at a breakfast, lunch and dinner meeting. Usually I am presenting at an event in the evening. So I've eaten in restaurants the entire day and I get back to my hotel around 9:30 pm and completely exhausted with about 2 hours of follow up emails to send from all the things I promised throughout the day. As much as I'd like to end my work day at 5 and go workout and go find a healthy dinner...it's just not realistic for me. I usually need to be up around 5-5:30 and I need to make sure I'm getting enough sleep. That's even tough to do most trips.

Maybe I should just start saying I have allergies so at the meal time meetings I can get away with not eating and just have a protein bar right before or after. But that's not healthy for days in a row either. I need lots of energy and quality fuel to get through it all. I try my best to make healthy choices. But the reality is even the healthy choices at restaurants are like triple the amount of calories that I should be having.

I don't know what the solutions are. Has anyone figured out how to exercise and burn calories while sleeping? Lol
    I completely understand. My days on travel are rarely 8hrs long and they usually involve me doing tons of walking or work at a job site.

Don't make up allergies at the lunch/dinner meetings. Try ordering lower calorie items like grilled meats and veggies.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I have traveled a lot for work over the past few years.

My tips:
    1. If exercise is part of your life, do your best to take advantage of the fitness room. I know it can be a challenge to fit in some days, but I find it helps me make better choices throughout the rest of the day.
    2. If you can get a room with a mini fridge, that's great. A kitchenette is even better. Stop and get some easy snacks/meals right at the beginning of the trip. Include some things you'll enjoy eating so that you aren't tempted to grab other things.
    3. Take advantage of the breakfast bar (if your hotel has one), but supplement with foods that fit your plan if necessary.
    4. Don't let eating out be a special occasion (unless there is truly a special destination meal you're having in a city you're visiting). When you're eating out on a business trip, it's not a special occasion. You should try to stay on plan as much as possible.
    5. I'm not big on food rules at home, but I'll make rules for business trips sometimes based on my trouble areas. If I know there's going to be a joint working space with lots of candy, I'll just tell myself "No candy that I haven't purchased." I love to eat potatoes for breakfast, but they don't keep me full for long so those are off-limits to me. I tell myself I can have whatever I want when I get home and 99% of the time I don't even want it when I get back.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited March 2017
    I used to travel a lot - my best tip is dont be afraid to look like a bit of a princess - order a meal that is going to fit your needs, not just what is on offer for everyone - ask for substitutions. So specify that you want a grilled chicken breast, a mixed salad and dressing on the side. If anyone asks, say you have allergies, or a medical condition. Or just dont even bother to reply, as its none of their business why you eat the way you do. But dont just not eat.

Or soup - that has saved me many times - a good onion soup, hold the bread and cheese (or not!) I dont recommend cream soups as they tend to be much higher in calories than you may be willing to spend.

Generally, just eat as plainly as you can, so even if you cant get exactly what you want, you will be able to determine the ingredients and then guesstimate the calorie count.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    I like to go to Whole Foods and get dinner off the prepared food bar (a few items from the hot bar and a soup and/or salad). At least it is more like real food and I'm not tempted to go too crazy. For breakfast I eat eggs and fruit (Marriott Platinum so I just hit up the lounge usually) or a fruit cup from Starbucks. Lunch can be difficult, but depending on where I am I make the best choice.

I also walk at least 30 mins on the treadmill in the evening at the hotel, it helps with any calorie overages and if I keep up some healthy habits I tend to keep on plan better.
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    I travel for work and also run into these issues even when I'm home as I have a lot of professional social events.

I agree with the above, don't be afraid to order something special. Also, the old standby of asking for 1/2 of your portion to be wrapped up right away helps (feel free to throw it away if you don't want to the leftovers in your room).

If anyone asks, I found that changing the response from "I'm on a diet" to "I'm on a meal plan" helps keep folks from asking too many questions. Although, honestly, mostly, I've found professionals to be supportive of any effort to be healthier. And with co-workers, clients and partners I'm happy to share my story (briefly) with (most) anyone who asks follow-up questions.

Also, when I'm traveling I burn more calories than on an average business day, between airports, walking downtowns in larger cities, etc. So maybe consider a different metric for when you travel. While exercise is definitely recommended for stress management, just because you don't get the gym or pool, doesn't mean you aren't burning. With that in mind, also see if you can manage walking and public transportation to some of your meetings. In the larger cities it is often quite doable, I've also had some luck with it in rural areas, as meetings, businesses and hotels tend to be centered around a hub.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I used to travel a lot - my best tip is dont be afraid to look like a bit of a princess - order a meal that is going to fit your needs, not just what is on offer for everyone - ask for substitutions. So specify that you want a grilled chicken breast, a mixed salad and dressing on the side. If anyone asks, say you have allergies, or a medical condition. Or just dont even bother to reply, as its none of their business why you eat the way you do. But dont just not eat.

Or soup - that has saved me many times - a good onion soup, hold the bread and cheese (or not!) I dont recommend cream soups as they tend to be much higher in calories than you may be willing to spend.

Generally, just eat as plainly as you can, so even if you cant get exactly what you want, you will be able to determine the ingredients and then guesstimate the calorie count.

Pretty much this if you have to eat with people. I often will even preface with "Sorry to be a princess/pain/difficult person," and then ask for the [protein] with no [calorie heavy ingredient] and a side of [salad/steamed vegetables/similar low-calorie option].

No one has ever commented on what I order at a restaurant or put on my plate at a catered meeting, honestly.

I'm an unapologetic dessert skipper, black coffee drinker, snack decliner, and teetotaler on work trips because I just don't have the calories to spare if I don't have time to work out. If I'm having dinner with important stakeholders who are really going all out with the food or drinks, I eat very lightly before or after (depending on if I know what's coming), leave stuff unfinished if necessary, and nurse a glass of wine if I feel I should have a drink for political reasons, lol.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2017
    Some tips I use being also a frequent business traveler:
    - Groceries are your best friend, in Europe more and more airports have groceries inside, so no need to hunt.
    - Anyway, check before the trip which groceries are near your hotel, conference area, customer area, etc. Did I mention that groceries are your best friend?
    - Fruits, canned tuna, salads, jerky, ketchup, mustard, peas, lentiles. Keep in mind that no fridge available (maybe the minibar have some space).
    - Buy plastic knife, fork and spoon, even some disposable plates.
    - Outside groceries, there are unavoidable social events: gala dinners, customer lunchs, cocktails, etc. Prepare for that by rationalizing non-social meals (did I mention groceries?) and preparing for the social ones.
    - When it can't be avoided, enjoy. For instance a social dinner sharing a paella and sangria. No way out, no way ordering salad, just enjoy. Maybe just one cup sangria and then water or non-alcoholic beer.
    - Almost always a social meal can be controlled. Order tons of protein and vegies, reduce carbs. No bread and butter.
    - Cocktails, non-alcoholic options and NO finger food.
    - Exercise, in my case I do youtube videos at the hotel room. Normally I can pack sport clothes in hand luggage.

• dovnkels
    dovnkels Posts: 25 Member
    My husband travels Tues through Fri every week for work. He gained about 15 pounds the first year. Realizing he can't keep going like this, he says he does 2 things: 1( NEVER FRIES. He will order whatever entree he wants and never eats the fries. 2) He eats very, very lean at home.

Travelling for work is difficult! Good luck! However, he has lost the excess weight and never exercises. He also has to eat out three meals/day socially with clients and wouldn't have time to grocery shop on the road.

Start with one or two loose rules for yoyrself ob the road, like "nothing fried and no alcohol" and see if you feel better when you get home.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    It's difficult if you don't plan and overplan. I leave for China tomorrow...I have packed healthy bars for when I need them. I also have mapped out the restaurants and menus I will be hitting.

When traveling the US there are great options like Panera and Newks.

Seafood is your friend when you take customers out. Drive so youre not pressured into overindulging on booze.

Breakfasts are easy. Tons of options in hotels.
  • cdkelly
    cdkelly Posts: 101 Member
    There are so many good ideas I can take from this and use them on the road. Thanks you guys are the best!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Lots of business travel here and love the suggestions above. Bringing catering in and having to deal with it is tough, restaurant meals pretty easy. I usually ask someone ahead of time to order me salads with dressing on the side. The tough part is the giant cookie they put in the box.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I traveled, 2-4 days at a time, every other week, for about 10 years.
    This was the only way I could make it work:
    Only eat two meals a day, because restaurant meals are so big.
    Never eat in the airport or on the plane -- Those meals are terrible anyways, and they make you feel horrible, hypoglycemic and sluggish and fat.
    Serious limit your coffee by only drinking the coffee you seek out at a decent coffee place. You get offered coffee so much, and when you are off your time schedule already, it can really make you jittery and interfere with sleep, etc.
    ALWAYS make time for exercise. I know it is hard. You're tired. You're jet lagged. Your schedule is packed. But it really refreshes you and you need that when everything else is so busy and frantic and draining. One hour for a run before dinner, or half an hour in the gross little hotel gym in the morning. Whatever. Make it work. It is super important.
  • vino_monkey
    vino_monkey Posts: 3 Member
    I travel frequently for work plus I'm in the wine industry -- so amazing social food meetings are a hazard of the trade.

I watch portions like a hawk - decide what you're going to eat off the plate ahead of time and even (subtly) arrange the portions (I'll draw a cut in a steak to know when I should stop, or make a little valley in the mashed potatoes to show the portion that keeps me in control).

If anyone says anything, I use something like "I had a huge lunch today/dinner last night - I'm still stuffed or else I would totally finish this."

• TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    I travel frequently for work plus I'm in the wine industry -- so amazing social food meetings are a hazard of the trade.

I watch portions like a hawk - decide what you're going to eat off the plate ahead of time and even (subtly) arrange the portions (I'll draw a cut in a steak to know when I should stop, or make a little valley in the mashed potatoes to show the portion that keeps me in control).

If anyone says anything, I use something like "I had a huge lunch today/dinner last night - I'm still stuffed or else I would totally finish this."

Great tip.