Annoyed

Options
Don't want to be one of those people lol trust me, I don't think these people were watching me or out to get me lol i think they might just be daft.

So I'm watching my form doing Over Head Press because they are friggin' hard and had to reduce my weights in my program because my form was suffering.

This guy and girl, take a bench, sit right in front of the mirror so I can't see my form at all and work out.

This was 6am! The gym....was EMPTY! Sit, anywhere else! Please lol I'm just trying to make sure I'm doing my OHP properly and can't see with you two sitting in front of me!

So all I could do is time my rests with there sets and do my set when they rested lol can't do much else but truck on...but I don't understand why people do that!

Grrr....

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    It's super awkward and distracting to have someone right in front of you when you're lifting. In my gym we have two double-sided power racks. During crowded times, it's often that you'll have someone facing you on the opposite side of the rack. I always try to let them finish their set (squat, DL, OHP, etc.) before starting mine.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    "Excuse me? I'm sorry to interrupt. I'm trying to improve my form and I was wondering if you would mind scooching over a bit so I can look in the mirror. Thank you so much." That's what I would have said.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Did you say anything? I would have said what the poster above said.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    did they stand right in front of you, or at a distant in front of you. i find sometimes im watching my form through a mirror that is pretty far away and people end up between me and the mirror - not on purpose, they just don't realize I'm watching myself from a distance!

if it was directly in front of you though, I don't understand - wouldn't you have just said excuse me?
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm not a confrontational person lol thats why I just waited and did my sets when they rested. It just really didnt make sense to me why they did that when they had tonnes of other mirror and seas available :lol:

Like I said, I don't think they meant it at all...I was just annoyed at their daftness lol
  • Sara1791
    Options
    I'm not a confrontational person lol thats why I just waited and did my sets when they rested. It just really didnt make sense to me why they did that when they had tonnes of other mirror and seas available :lol:

Like I said, I don't think they meant it at all...I was just annoyed at their daftness lol

You're right, they were probably just oblivious and not trying to be rude. That's why you should encourage a 'we're all in this together' spirit by speaking directly and kindly, with a big smile. I hate confrontation, but smiling and and speaking politely goes a long way to building friendship and cooperation.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You could have moved too if you don't want to be confrontational. That's what I would have done or at least spoke up.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really make them daft, obviously they were paying no attention to you. They probably sit there every day.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Seeing as I was mid set I wasn't going to move to another bar lol thats why I just did my sets when they rested.

And I would say they are daft, maybe it's just me, but when I pick a spot at the gym I usually try not to get in peoples way, especially when the gym is basically empty lol "they sit there every day" is no excuse when there is plenty of other places available :tongue:

As I stated, i don't think they were watching me or trying to be melicious so I obviously know they were not paying attention to me...i didnt say they were. Simply stating the situation was annoying :smile:
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Seeing as I was mid set I wasn't going to move to another bar lol thats why I just did my sets when they rested.

And I would say they are daft, maybe it's just me, but when I pick a spot at the gym I usually try not to get in peoples way, especially when the gym is basically empty lol "they sit there every day" is no excuse when there is plenty of other places available :tongue:

As I stated, i don't think they were watching me or trying to be melicious so I obviously know they were not paying attention to me...i didnt say they were. Simply stating the situation was annoying :smile:

That's just it, they weren't paying attention to you. Most people aren't paying attention to others and are just focusing on themselves.

Next time speak up. It's not confrontational to briefly explain the situation and ask them to move.

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

That's just it, they weren't paying attention to you. Most people aren't paying attention to others and are just focusing on themselves.

If they weren't, then they're idiots, and the OP is right to be annoyed. Being in the weight area isn't like strolling past the treadmills on your way to the elliptical. People are lifting heavy weights with no support. Being completely oblivious to where you are in relation to the people around you is the fastest way to injure yourself or someone else.

Also: see "lifting heavy weights with no support," above. Form is important. People need the mirrors for some exercises. Not blocking their view is important enough that it's explicitly written in the rules on the wall in my gym. It's also just a basic rule of gym etiquette.

Sure, the OP could have said something. But putting all the responsibility back on her implies that the two people in front of her have absolutely no responsibility for behaving courteously or safely, and that's bs. She wouldn't have to say anything if they weren't oblivious tools.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    VioletRojo wrote: »

If they weren't, then they're idiots, and the OP is right to be annoyed. Being in the weight area isn't like strolling past the treadmills on your way to the elliptical. People are lifting heavy weights with no support. Being completely oblivious to where you are in relation to the people around you is the fastest way to injure yourself or someone else.

Also: see "lifting heavy weights with no support," above. Form is important. People need the mirrors for some exercises. Not blocking their view is important enough that it's explicitly written in the rules on the wall in my gym. It's also just a basic rule of gym etiquette.

Sure, the OP could have said something. But putting all the responsibility back on her implies that the two people in front of her have absolutely no responsibility for behaving courteously or safely, and that's bs. She wouldn't have to say anything if they weren't oblivious tools.

Alas, but this is life and sometimes you have to speak up to be heard. Oblivious tools or not.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Asking someone if you can work in is one thing, asking someone to unrack their weight, move to another bench and rack their weights again is another. If you do that, you had better be prepared for the possibility of a confrontation.
  • Sara1791
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Asking someone if you can work in is one thing, asking someone to unrack their weight, move to another bench and rack their weights again is another. If you do that, you had better be prepared for the possibility of a confrontation.

True. I wasn't picturing it that way. I was thinking I'd probably say something before they get all set up, seeing as it was an empty gym.

IDK, a lot of people seem to get irritated at the gym. I figure we all paid our dues so we all have to make it work. I'll be nice to you, you'll be nice to me. so on and so on.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    I don't know what good it would do to speak up. If it happens again, maybe. But if it was 6AM and you don't see many people in there anyways, it probably won't happen again. If it does, it might be worth addressing.

Had to Google what "daft" meant. I don't think that was the right adjective.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How small is the mirror? Is that the only mirror they have? If not, is it possible to move to another mirror to see your form?
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. This reminds me of the time I was in the room for my kickboxing class, during the scheduled time, but there was less people in there due to most of the class still taking their midterm. This douche walks in right when I'm setting up the stereos and just automatically demands it because he "needs" to know how to use it for his class... Which was AFTER my class. I let him go ahead because he was just rude, and he ended up making a racket to the point a teacher had to come in and confront him. He didn't even deny being in my class, and later my teacher came in and took my phone off, the stereo was on low, and said she got in trouble for it. I saw the douche later and he was all smiles asking if I got kicked out of the room...