Why am I so Sleepy after Workouts?

Options
Devani34
Devani34 Posts: 48 Member
Hi, everyone! I'm not sure if it's just me, but why do i always feel sleepy during working out and especially afterwards? I'm constantly yawning and at times when I take a "breather", I'm closing my eyes nodding off. Is that normal? Help me understand this. Thanks

Replies

• elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I yawned when I read the title

Edit: Btw, you have gorgeous hair.
  • kalebsmama07
    kalebsmama07 Posts: 503
    Options
    bump
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You're probably not taking in enough oxygen when working out. I have the same problem. It's normal & nothing to really worry about. Just try to focus more on your breathing when you are strength training.
  • Lolyballs
    Lolyballs Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough rest? eating enough? drinking enough water? I could be the heat, but if you are staying hydrated and still having problems, you should call your doctor.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Also, you may need to take in more carbs before your workout. The carbs will give you the energy you need to complete your workout.
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    i to have the same problem ....n have yet to figure it out (thinkin id have more energy nope usually im way tired after workin out)
  • Devani34
    Options
    are you getting enough rest? eating enough? drinking enough water? I could be the heat, but if you are staying hydrated and still having problems, you should call your doctor.

I'm drinking plenty of water. maybe I need to work on my breathing better
  • kalebsmama07
    Options
    Also, you may need to take in more carbs before your workout. The carbs will give you the energy you need to complete your workout.

regular carbs like bread ect...or complex carbs???? =)
  • Devani34
    Options

ok, CARBS!!! gotta keep that in mind.. THANKS!!!
  • Devani34
    Options

... loving the bread idea :wink:
  • kalebsmama07
    Options

... loving the bread idea :wink:

idk this is why im askin...lol we will figure it out ......im gonna take a guess n say complexe carbs
  • Devani34
    Options
    I don't know, but I yawned when I read the title

Edit: Btw, you have gorgeous hair.

too funny... and thanks for the compliment.
  • Tazz71
    Tazz71 Posts: 19
    Options
    It could be a combination of the reasons posted here. Google "tired during my workout" there are several medical sites that guide you through possible resolutions. Most of the time, if I'm tired it was either because I didn't have enough sleep the night before or it had been more than four hours since I ate. You could try a protein bar or shake and wait about 30 minutes before you workout too.
  • Devani34
    Options
    It could be a combination of the reasons posted here. Google "tired during my workout" there are several medical sites that guide you through possible resolutions. Most of the time, if I'm tired it was either because I didn't have enough sleep the night before or it had been more than four hours since I ate. You could try a protein bar or shake and wait about 30 minutes before you workout too.

I do eat before exercising that's why I don't understand why I get so sleepy at times:yawn:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough through the day (before working out)? How about sleeping enough the night before?

I've found if I am having a day where I'm not overly hungry and I don't eat much - I have next to zero energy at the gym. I want to climb off the treadmill and take a nice long nap. I try and make sure I eat every couple hours if I know I am going to the gym (I try and do it every day but some days I'm just NOT hungry).

If you aren't sleeping enough, your body won't have enough energy to fuel you through a workout. Make sure you get 7-8 hours a night. Not only will help with gym time - you'll feel better overall.

When all else fails and I just can't seem to get it together to workout, I will use a pre-workout drink (I like.. dang it.. I think it is called Black Powder.. they are drink packets you put in your water). Now, keep in mind they have caffeine in them and some have something that makes me tingly. I don't like the tingly ones - which is why I use black powder (I think that is the name - I don't have it in front of me). It gives me a boost, but NO tingly!
  • kailynm
    kailynm Posts: 8
    Options
    Do you have asthma? I have the mildest of mild asthma. I've never had a full on attack but I still am diagnosed and am required to take an inhaler. When I go running or do exercise I'm worn out so quickly. I'm always exhausted after workouts.
  • Devani34
    Options
    Do you have asthma? I have the mildest of mild asthma. I've never had a full on attack but I still am diagnosed and am required to take an inhaler. When I go running or do exercise I'm worn out so quickly. I'm always exhausted after workouts.
    ...naw, no asthma, at least that I know of.
  • Devani34
    Options
    Are you eating enough through the day (before working out)? How about sleeping enough the night before?

I've found if I am having a day where I'm not overly hungry and I don't eat much - I have next to zero energy at the gym. I want to climb off the treadmill and take a nice long nap. I try and make sure I eat every couple hours if I know I am going to the gym (I try and do it every day but some days I'm just NOT hungry).

If you aren't sleeping enough, your body won't have enough energy to fuel you through a workout. Make sure you get 7-8 hours a night. Not only will help with gym time - you'll feel better overall.

When all else fails and I just can't seem to get it together to workout, I will use a pre-workout drink (I like.. dang it.. I think it is called Black Powder.. they are drink packets you put in your water). Now, keep in mind they have caffeine in them and some have something that makes me tingly. I don't like the tingly ones - which is why I use black powder (I think that is the name - I don't have it in front of me). It gives me a boost, but NO tingly!
    Yep,I think I'm eating enough