What should my macros be?

Options
Im looking to set my own macros but not sure what to set them too.

Im 366 pound male does not workout other then housework.

I dont think i need as mush as mfp sets it was almost 150 protein and such.

I want to lose weight, steadily not fast then playeau. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the macros MFP sets. They are based on sound research.

You are a big person, and you need to have that protein. Protein is the one for you not to change to a lower amount. If you are going to change something, lower your carbs...but really, the macro split is fine.

As you lose weight, your calories and macros will be adjusted down.
  • gottagetitoff11
    gottagetitoff11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It set them at.
    Calories 2600
    Carbs 325g
    Protein 130g
    Fat 87g

I believe thats what it set.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Those numbers are fine. Stick with that. I would make it a point to get all that protein. Protein is the most important one. I always plan my days around making sure I've hit my protein.
  • gottagetitoff11
    Options
    Why would i need 130 protein thats like 4 chicken breasts and maybe a few eggs.

Please dont take this as rude im just asking and learning the right way.

Thanks
  • gottagetitoff11
    Options
    Im also now pre diabetic and on meds for high blood pressure. My dr sucks gave me no nutritional advice what so ever.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Why would i need 130 protein thats like 4 chicken breasts and maybe a few eggs.

No it's not.

I had a half chicken breast (frozen 158g,) two turkey sausage links, oatmeal, two eggs, some milk, cheese, yogurt, a serving of beans, two slices of whole wheat bread, two corn tortillas and various vegetables and fruits yesterday, which came to 129 grams of protein, a little over 200g carbs, and around 80g fat yesterday - 2000 calories.

You need protein to keep from losing too much muscle while losing weight.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can Google Diabetes.org and look at their food plans.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    No it's not.

I had a half chicken breast (frozen 158g,) two turkey sausage links, oatmeal, two eggs, some milk, cheese, yogurt, a serving of beans, two slices of whole wheat bread, two corn tortillas and various vegetables and fruits yesterday, and I had 129 grams of protein, a little over 200g carbs, and around 80g fat yesterday - 2000 calories.

You need protein to keep from losing too much muscle while losing weight.

True, you need protein but it isn't really going to keep you from losing much muscle unless you're doing some kind of resistance training while you're eating it.

To the OP, the best thing to do is experiment and see what macro ratio works best to keep you satisfied throughout the day while maintaining your calorie deficit. If you can, see a dietician too - it can't hurt if your normal doctor just wants to put you on BP meds and give no other advice.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    when it comes to protein - the recommendation is typically (to build lean muscle) - .8-1g of protein per lb of GOAL lean muscle mass

I'm 5'3" and 149 and take in 130g daily (current LMM is 112lbs)