Totally Addicted to Sugar

I'm needing to try AGAIN to get healthy and lose weight. I've tried and failed so many times it's very difficult to believe I will ever actually do it. My biggest hurdles are 1.) What I just mentioned, I've tried and failed too many times. 2.) I'm a horribly picky eater. It's hard enough to cut out things you like when you can replace them with healthier things you like. It's nearly impossible to deprive yourself of your favorite things when you know your future is eating things you really don't like at all. 3.) I'm SO addicted to sugar that healthier options don't even taste good anymore (even the ones I usually like). I know the toughest part is getting started. I'd like to connect with some people who might help me make it through those first few difficult weeks and push me to keep going. Thanks in advance for the support.

Replies

• McWeinerr
    McWeinerr Posts: 6 Member
    Hi there! Have you ever tried replacing sugar with stevia? It's so sweet and 0 calories! As for the food part, I might be able to help, I'm a chef and could try to help you with your pickyness! It never hurts to try again! Best of luck
  • CalorieArson
    CalorieArson Posts: 32 Member
    I totally feel you with the sugar. It got to the point where I would get just a box of donuts for me to have throughout the day, and if I didn't get it, I'd need that fix before I could get anything done.

For me, I had to quit cold turkey. Started using this app and committed 110%. The first 3 days are the hardest. If you can get through them, you can do it. After the first week, it's about keeping the momentum you've gained, which is soo much easier.

I went from having some coffee with my milk and sugar to 2 tsp and no milk in my coffee. Now (after a month) 2 tsp is too much and I cut it to 1 tsp. You're taste buds do return. You'll be able to enjoy things without sugar.

Just keep in mind that sugar is a slippery slope. A little can lead to just one more, which turns into the whole box. Find new things you enjoy. Try different kinds of tea (also excellent for fighting of sugar cravings). Try new fruit. Try a smoothie. Try something you never thought you'd try before. There's much more out there. You can do it and we can help!
  • MrsMom649
    MrsMom649 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you both. Dr. Pepper is my caffeine of choice and my strongest addiction (I've never liked coffee). I'm trying not to just switch over to diet because I know my sugar cravings won't ever go away if I do. Cold turkey will be hard but I agree that's what I'm going to have to do. I'll just have to drink plenty of water to keep my stomach full and may need some Excederin for the first couple days to get through that caffeine withdrawal headache.

It's encouraging to hear that I will eventually return to enjoying things without sugar . And McWeinerr, if you can help me with my pickyness you'll be my hero for life! It's been a lifelong struggle and admittedly has a mental element attached.

Today I am making plans and preparations, tomorrow is my start day. Thanks again for your encouragement.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    MrsMom649 wrote: »
    Thank you both. Dr. Pepper is my caffeine of choice and my strongest addiction (I've never liked coffee). I'm trying not to just switch over to diet because I know my sugar cravings won't ever go away if I do. Cold turkey will be hard but I agree that's what I'm going to have to do. I'll just have to drink plenty of water to keep my stomach full and may need some Excederin for the first couple days to get through that caffeine withdrawal headache.

It's encouraging to hear that I will eventually return to enjoying things without sugar . And McWeinerr, if you can help me with my pickyness you'll be my hero for life! It's been a lifelong struggle and admittedly has a mental element attached.

Today I am making plans and preparations, tomorrow is my start day. Thanks again for your encouragement.

Why would switching to diet soda cause sugar cravings? I read this on the internet somewhere too.....but I've never seen anything remotely scientific to back it up.

Make some iced tea.....unsweetened. Use flavored tea bags....black & green tea are both caffeinated. Herbals are caffeinated but lots more flavors to choose from.

Drink unsweetened water with bubbles.....LaCroix, KlarBrunn, Aldi's brand is LaVie. Throw in a couple orange, lemon, or lime slices.

If you need water "to stay full" .....you're either cutting your calories too low, need to adjust meal times, or figure out what combination of protein, fiber & fat are most filling for you. Sugar isn't remotely filling to me.
  • noellysilva
    noellysilva Posts: 14 Member
    I have a crazy obsession with pizza and I had to literally cut it off completely because I know myself. The moment I take a bite of a pizza slice is over.....I know its hard to let go of our addictions but its worth it for the results. What I usually do is look at what I am going to eat and think " is this going to get me closer to my goal?" Usually it works for me
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    You may wish to add some green smoothies to your daily routine for a bit. I find that when I have a green smoothie (blend greens, fruit, and a liquid) it helps me stay away from added sugar type foods (sodas, candy, etc.).
  • McWeinerr
    McWeinerr Posts: 6 Member
    Just shoot me a message and maybe we can work out a few meals that you enjoy
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm another who found that the less sugar, and fewer carbs, I ate the less I craved sugar. For me, it only lasts as long as I eat LCHF and mostly sugar free. As soon as I add back in sugars, I want more. I keep sugar below 5g on most days and carbs below 30g.

For soda, have you tried carbonated water? Maybe with a bit of lime? It helped me with soda. I also drink more coffee now instead.