Are you a raw foodist or vegan?

Why did you decide to change your diet?

What has it done for you?

Do you recommend it?

Replies

• auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    I am mostly vegan but not raw.

I became veg years ago because I was grossed out by eating meat. I don't really see a difference between eating a cow, roadkill or my cat. Eggs don't appeal to me so I avoid them. My move to totally vegan was medically necessary because I discovered dairy is a migraine trigger for me (along with nuts and fermented sauces like soy and tamari/shoyu).

What has it done? Well my migraines/vertigo are now essentially gone. I am losing weight with little effort. My skin is clearer and I feel less anxious and more energetic. Eating vegan whole foods leaves me feeling fuller and more energetic than processed foods, especially those containing animal products.

I would certainly recommend it. I am raising my children as vegetarian/mostly vegan and they are very healthy, energetic kids.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Are you a raw foodist or vegan?
    I am a vegan, but very VERY far from raw.

Why did you decide to change your diet?
    I've always claimed to love animals, but I still ate them and their by-products. One day, while reading the book "The Kind Diet" I realized how hypocritical that was, and transitioned to a vegan immediately. I had tried vegetarianism in the past, but had done it in a very unhealthy way (Doritos and Twinkies are vegetarian, right?) and it didn't stick. I had never before tried going vegan, since I was definately in the "I can go without chicken, but please don't ask me to give up CHEESE!" club.

What has it done for you?
    SO MUCH. First of all, my skin has never been so clear. I get the occasional blemish, but it's very rare now. Secondly, my IBS symptoms have vanished. I am pretty convinced that meat and dairy were big triggers for my IBS attacks. Thirdly, it's been easier to follow a lower calorie diet because many vegan options are very healthy and very low-cal. One more benefit is that ever since I went vegan, I've felt lighter from the inside out. I do believe that carrying all of those animal proteins inside of my body was weighing on me quite heavily, and now I just feel so much better.

Do you recommend it?
    YES, but I'm not one of the vegans who thinks that everyone should be vegan. It works for me right now, and I am loving it, plus my doctor has said that I've never been healthier. But there is a diet out there for everyone, and a vegan diet may not be right for you. But you won't know until you try it! ;-)
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Im a vegan... I change my diet because I was very sick and I knew most of the illnesses are related to bad eating habits.

I am a healthier person. When I got pregnant I didn't had morning sickness and gain the healthy weight for a pregnant lady.

Im skinny and trying to gain weight actually :P Breastfeeding is taking away lots of calories.

And I do recommend it because of all the health benefits it has, and because it is a good thing to do if you want to protect the planet.

I recommend the book The Food Revolution
  • BeverageTreats
    BeverageTreats Posts: 149 Member
    I'm not vegan (or even vegetarian, I hit seafood) but I like to eat that way the majority of the time.

Just putting this out there, what are all your takes on protein powder? I've been using Sun Warrior, which is from brown rice and has a low temperature extraction process which actually qualifies it as raw vegan. I like it, it makes things seem a little powdery but I imagine most protein powders do. I don't have much experience with protein powder. Just thought I would introduce the protein powder aspect to the discussion.
  • i want to get in on this conversation as well! i'm a vegetarian of 10 yrs. i tried being vegan for the summer of 2007 and found it really hard at the time; however, i'd really like to give it another go! even though i'm vegetarian, there are still a lot of unhealthy options that i tend to turn to. i don't know what it is, but i have a very obsessive personality when it comes to food!! with me, it's either all or nothing--literally! so i feel like if i were to actually stick to a strict diet of fruits,veggies&legumes, that could potentially work long-term.
    are any of you guys from non-vegan/non-vegetarian supporting communities? i live in northern ontario, and it's hard enough finding vegetarian options in restaurants, let alone vegan options. what do you gals do?? i've never been the type to LOVE huge salads every day.. AND are there any other vegan books/sites you'd recommend??
    thanx a million! (&thanx for letting me crash your topic :)
  • msmodular13
    msmodular13 Posts: 12 Member
    There are lots of different options! Dr. Neal Bernard and PCRM have teamed up to provide resources-- you can google them! There are lots of vegan options in different ethnic cuisines, like middle eastern (falafel, hummus, tabouli, lentil soup...), indian (any veggie, non-dairy dish!), mexican (anything sans meat, cheese, and sour cream--just watch out that the beans do not have animal fat), italian (pasta primavera, pizza no cheese, eggplant parm sans parm), thai (many places have tofu!, just watch out for eggs), chinese (no eggs, meat...lots of veggie dishes). You can pretty much get things without cheese and sour cream and meat!

I also love the post punk kitchen and www.fatfreevegan.com--lots of awesome recipes! If you want some good cookbooks, there are the post punk kichen ones (especially the appetite for reduction one!), vegan comfort food (Simpson), 30 minute vegan (Reinfeld and Murray). I find those are pretty helpful and fun! I love cooking and baking, but really only took veganism head on, in a serious manner, last labor day. I have recently began using TVP (textured vegetable protein) for sloppy joes and smart dogs and Trader Joe's vegetarian chili for vegan chili dogs-- good summer eats!

I work in a school and have made many things that my non-vegan coworkers have really liked! Best wishes!
  • BlissfulYoga
    BlissfulYoga Posts: 88 Member
    vegetarian here but looking for more and more raw vegan info and recipes, etc
  • vegetarian here but looking for more and more raw vegan info and recipes, etc

My sister-in-law is a raw vegan personal chef. PM me if you want her info.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    I'm vegan and I can honestly say that it has changed my life. I've been a vegetarian since I was 10 years old, and I looked at a burger and for the first time made the connection that it used to be a beautiful, happy cow. I went vegan a few years ago upon the recommendation of my doctor and upon doing my own research, as dairy was the culprit of a lot of my issues with my health (I have lupus and fibromyalgia). Dairy is TERRIBLE for us folks with auto-immune diseases because it causes severe inflammation. Since cutting the dairy, I have felt SO MUCH better, more energy, and just more at peace with my body. I wouldn't change it for the world!
  • I am vegan and *try* my hardest to be 50% raw everyday. It's hard when I don't have the money and utilities (dehydrator, etc) to go fully raw. I work at a raw food cafe though so that definitely helps! I know a lot about raw foods so contact me with info if you want. I 100% believe that going vegan has changed me in so many positive ways. Digestion is way better, clearer-thinking, just "feeling" healthier, happier, less moody, less anxious and it's a lot easier to maintain a healthy body weight. I definitely recommend it. I have been vegan for a year and a half now--veggie for years. I don't need to take a multi-vitamin when I am not being lazy about getting the nutritious foods but I do anyway sometimes just to be sure. Hope this helps! Contact me with any information or questions.
  • vegetarian here but looking for more and more raw vegan info and recipes, etc

My sister-in-law is a raw vegan personal chef. PM me if you want her info.

I would love this info!!!
  • yogavegan
    yogavegan Posts: 116 Member
    Are you a raw foodist or vegan? Vegan, and I dabble in raw foods.

Why did you decide to change your diet? The cruelty in the meat and dairy industry, I find it all horrifying, and I don't want to be part of it.

What has it done for you?Clear skin, digestion/IBS issues disappeared, migraines gone, , no cholesterol or triglyc issues.

Do you recommend it? Absolutely. It's the easy compassionate lifestyle. I love cooking vegan foods and sharing with others!
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    I am a NUTRIENTARIAN.

I've been vegetarian, vegan, raw foodist, etc over the years. However, the bottom line is that all dietary types can be unhealthy if there is not an adequate focus on getting the appropriate nutrients (e.g., I've met a lot of junk food vegans).

Dr Joel Fuhrman, author of Eat to Live, recommends that people should be Nutrientarian, by daily focusing on nutrient eating, which is made up of nutrient dense foods (i.e., foods that provide the most nutrients with the fewest calories).

This means mostly vegan (whole foods, not junk) with a good proportion of raw, with a goal of no more than 10% of your calories to come from animal products or processed foods, etc.