Salad alternatives

Options
Hi everyone!
I am not a salad person so I was just wondering if there are any alternatives for replacing salads?

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Raw or cooked vegetables.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you don't like salad then don't eat salad. Roasted veg, steamed veg, boiled veg raw veggies with hummus or stir fried veg there are plenty of ways to prepare them.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Smoothies with yogurt, fruit and baby spinach are a nice way to sneak in some greens.

You could snack on cucumbers, celery and carrots with hummus/dip.

Roasted veggies are delicious! Asparagus or brussel sprouts are great with bacon. Steamed/roasted broccoli or cauliflower with a creamy cheese sauce is great too.

Just get creative, try new recipes!
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Is is lettuce based salads you don't like? I've gone completely off leaf based salads but am happy eating a coleslaw or mediterranean salad involving capsicum, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives (often with quinoa and lamb added)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are you trying to replace? Specific vitamins in greens? A high volume, low calorie food?
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am not a salad man, and with salad I mean lettuce, onions and tomate with any extras (corn, carrot, etc.).

Some of my replacements:
    - Pico de Gallo, basically the "salad" above without lettuce, coriander and lemon and some hot sauce. Yummy
    - Sauerkraut (or whatever is written), a german side that I love, basically pickled cabbage
    - Cornichons
    - Peas, artichoke hearts
    - etc.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    As a side for meals? I typically just eat more veggies (steamed, roasted, or saute'd). I've found I prefer raw spinach and mixed greens to a typical plain ole lettuce salad, as well. Much tastier and packed with vit A and other goodies :smile:
  • magen830
    magen830 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have explained better.
    Just trying to replace the leafy greens and tomato.
    I'll just try to mix up some roasted veggies and look into some of the suggestions made. Thanks!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I only really eat salads in summer. In winter I have roasted veg, or veggie bakes, or vegetable soups or stews. Ratatouille is nice side dish and can also be a meal.
  • cforsyth617
    cforsyth617 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am not a salad person either. My lunches tend to be homemade soups, curries and chillies with lots of veggies with some raw carrots and pea pods on the side. At dinner I put out a raw veggie plate. The kids prefer this to salad.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I don't do salad much, because my husband only eats it with about a cup of salad dressing, which really isn't healthy. We just eat cooked vegetables.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think I last ate a salad three weeks ago, but I eat a ton of vegetables. Most of them are cooked in tasty ways - have a look around the internet or in your local library for videos or recipes on how to cook them.

I also prepare a plastic bag of a variety of raw vegetables to snack on during the day. I pick out what I like and make a bunch of them at once, so that each one has a variety in it - a few baby carrots, a few grape tomatoes, a few cucumber wedges, and so on. It's a lot more palatable to nibble a few of several different things than a whole bag of one kind of vegetable.
  • CamelPuncherello
    CamelPuncherello Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of alternatives to salad for getting in your vegetables. I usually have vegetables with lunch, snack, and dinner.

Plenty of ways to prepare, typically something tossed and roasted in olive oil (butternut squash, carrots, mushrooms, turnips, celery, cauliflower), something sautéed (kale, green beans), something mashed (cauliflower, potato on high cardio days, sweet potato), or just raw with ranch dip or something similar. I think the trick to nearly all of these is paring vegetables with a fat source like olive oil or cream-based light dressing.

Hope this helps.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I know you're not looking for the answer "salad"...but I try not to think of salad that way. It's food. So...I want a hamburger. I just put everything I want on or in a hamburger in a giant *kitten* salad. Including ketchup and warm onions and jalapenos and cheese. I do this with everything I'd want in a pasta dish or sandwich and I don't get tired eating two salads per day.
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, avocado and feta, lemon and olive oil!
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    KiwiAlexP wrote: »
    Is is lettuce based salads you don't like? I've gone completely off leaf based salads but am happy eating a coleslaw or mediterranean salad involving capsicum, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives (often with quinoa and lamb added)

I was also going to suggest cole slaw or kale salad
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Do what my wife does.

Blend them all up in a juice and take less than 10 second to gulp down. A visually big bowl of salad makes very little drink.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I don't do salad much, because my husband only eats it with about a cup of salad dressing, which really isn't healthy. We just eat cooked vegetables.

When I have a choice, I always prefer cooked vegetables.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Grilled zucchini slices with lemon pepper seasoning
    Roasted asparagus
    Roasted broccoli
    Broccoli, garlic and mushrooms
    Tomatoes and green beans
    Summer corn salad- http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25160/summer-corn-salad/
    Tangy cabbage salad with serrano peppers http://www.food.com/recipe/tangy-shredded-cabbage-salad-385754
    Pickles
    Sauerkraut
    Potato- white or sweet
    Zoodles
    Beans or lentils
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/vegetables/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/side-dishes/
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to replace something you don't like? What about salad needs to be a part of your diet in some way that you need to come up with a 'salad alternative?'

When you say "salad" and that you don't like it - what are you actually saying? You don't like iceberg lettuce? You don't like ranch dressing? You don't like raw vegetables? You don't like ANY vegetables?

I ask because the answer to your question depends on why you're asking.