What type of supplements, amino acids protein powders etc

Options
Hi!!
What type/brand of supplements, amino acids, protein powders etc are you taking?..
My ultimate goal is to be lean and fit. I'm going to the gym at least 5 days a week and I'm on a high protein low carb meal plan ( I hate the word diet lol) .
Thank you

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Protein powder (either Optimum Nutrition or Trutein)
    Caffeine (5hr energy extra strength, Nuun energy)
  • caitwallen009
    caitwallen009 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Protein - Dymatize ISO100
    BCAA Energy by Evlution Nutrition (my go to for any time)
    Omegas by NLA for her
  • CodyAnn81
    CodyAnn81 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Protein - Dymatize ISO100
    BCAA Energy by Evlution Nutrition (my go to for any time)
    Omegas by NLA for her
    I'm currently using dymatize100 ( gourmet chocolate ;) ) and like it so far. I need something for energy though. I haven't tried the bcaa's yet but plan on it. .. Thank you
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    BCAAs won't give you energy. The caffeine they are often packaged with might, but BCAAs themselves won't.
  • CodyAnn81
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    BCAAs won't give you energy. The caffeine they are often packaged with might, but BCAAs themselves won't.
    Good to know! Thank you!!! :)
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options

I agree. However, I have found that they help me a lot in post workout muscle soreness on heavy lifting and intense Plyo days.
  • CodyAnn81
    Options

Does it give you the jitters?
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    CodyAnn81 wrote: »

Does it give you the jitters?

On an empty stomach, the 5hr energy extra strength takes me right up to that point. On edge, but not jittery. The regular strength stuff doesn't, and if I have food in my stomach, the effect is further reduced.

From the people I've talked to, everyone responds differently to stimulants... which is why many suggest you start with 1/2 serving until you know how it affects you.
  • Fit_Trekkie
    Fit_Trekkie Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Protein : Optimum Nutrition HydroWhey Red Velvet Cake
    Pre-Workout : Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy Iced Cafe Vanilla ( Best pre flavour I've ever had ) - made with real coffee and contains BCCAs if you want them as well.
    Creatine: ALLMAX Creatine, I like that it's 100% micronized monohydrate with no fillers or extras. Just works for me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Protein: food.
  • fredgonzini
    fredgonzini Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard pre-workout drink with creatine before my workout and Muscle Milk protein drink after.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i get my protein from food , bcaa i get them from food also, the only time i mite take a protein powder is when i cant get any protein from food at the time, as for bcaa maybe in a fasted state in a morning cardio or workout here are some links on protein and bcaa https://examine.com/supplements/protein-supplement/ https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/
  • CodyAnn81
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I do get most of my protein from food but I work out late in the evenings and sometimes I just want something quick instead of cooking anything; or if I can't get in one of my meals during the day I'll have a shake.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Dont waste your money on bcaas they dont do anything. Your body get plenty just from protien.

Protien powder i use cytosport 100% whey vanilla. Its pretty cheap and tastes good.

I also take creatine monohydrate which is one of the few suppliments that is show to actually have benfits. Its really cheap too.
  • bluehayan
    bluehayan Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    - I take a vegan protein from It Works. It's yellow pea and sprouted brown rice protein. I like it because I don't have some of the bloated feeling that I used to get with whey.
    - For BCAA's I sometimes use the generic GNC brand, grape flavored