How do you get over gym anxiety?

Options
Long story short, I've developed this intimidation by gyms when they're packed, it's to the point where I started work at 6:30AM today so I woke up at 3:30 to work out just to avoid having to go in the pm when it's crazy busy. Anyone else go through this or am I just weird?
It wasn't always like that, yeaaars back I had lost about 20 lbs and I was regularly going to the gym. After some time I gained half of it back and that was when the feeling intimidated happened. Back in Canada I joined a womens only gym and got a personal trainer and it really did help. I'm living in New Zealand now and have been going to the gym for about 4 months now but I can't seem to get that intimidation process out of my head. &frankly i'm starting to get tired of waking up so early, I eat more cuz i'm awake longer, and i'm constantly tired. I know I should just suck it up and go in the pm, and I have sometimes but the intimidation is still there. Anyone been through this and got over it?

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Yup. I also tried those super early hours, but eventually realized I had to just deal, go to a different gym, or exercise outside/at home... if the problem is thinking other people are looking at you- they aren't!! They have head phones on (you should do the same to take the edge off!) & are there to take care of themselves- most people don't even talk!! If the problem is anxiety over larger numbers of people at the gym, I have that problem myself sometimes... I just focus on the tv/music & that helps :-)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Nope, not weird.

You have two options: Go at times to avoid crowds (Like you're doing), or, dive in and just adapt to it (Eventually, you will).

While I don't have the intimidation issue, I cannot deal with crowds. So, I go at 5AM.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like my gym because its a 3 minute walk from my place. I think you guys are right. I just have to dive in and do my thing. I think i'm mostly petrified cuz it's mostly a bunch of jacked dudes lifting weights and I do fear being judged.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    So not weird...I'm the same way most of the time. I just try to go in with tunnel vision. I put my ear buds in and just focus on what I'm doing. If I start to look around me scoping the place out that's when I freak. I just try to ignore everyone. lol
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I always find it just takes getting used to being there. Get dressed...walk around and do a few easy machines.. then leave..and build up to staying longer. After a week or so.. you'll be used to it again. No one is focused on you and if they are ..that's there problem right?
  • KellyRedmond1
    KellyRedmond1 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When we are lacking confidence in ourselves, it's too easy to become intimidated. I become self conscious also, thinking that people will be saying to themselves, "Yeah, she DEFINITELY needs to be here", or that I'm not "dressed the part". All kidding aside, I simply remind myself that, "Hey, we all need to start SOMEWHERE, right?" Also, those same people who you think are so 'in shape' (& you fear are looking at & judging you) may have been in the same spot as you when THEY started out. Like others have said, you are there for yourself, NOT anybody else. Good luck to you, & keep us posted as to your progress..."You GOT this, girl!!!" :)
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There were many times in the past i'd walk into the gym pumped for a lifting session only to see the weight room full of men, and i'd end up on a cardio machine.
    -not sure what happened.. my comment only posted half? so if this post is all wonky.. -i blame MFP .. Try going at different times, or with a friend? Can you bring some weights into a quieter area to workout? Most ppl in the gym don't care about anything other then their own workout. Just remember how amazing working out makes you feel. You don't want to miss out on that..
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Lisseth03 wrote: »
    I like my gym because its a 3 minute walk from my place. I think you guys are right. I just have to dive in and do my thing. I think i'm mostly petrified cuz it's mostly a bunch of jacked dudes lifting weights and I do fear being judged.

The bunch of guys in the gym are most probably too busy lifting to care what other people are doing. No one goes to the gym to judge others. If one of them notices a young woman working out, it will not be to judge her. No different than meeting a guy in the bus, at work or any other place.
  • jweber002
    jweber002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Honestly Everybody fears in being "judged". It took alot for me to jump into the gym with everybodys eyes wondering around lol seriously just dive in and take your place, you'll soon find out its not that bad after all. It will take a few times to get use to the environment but you can do it!! Stay positive, and keep at it.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I know it's easy for me to say "no one is paying that much attention to you," but I know that's probably not helpful. All I can say to you is stick with it, because the more you go the more comfortable you will be with your exercises and the more confident you will be. Progress happens when we get out of our comfort zone's and I know it's hard but you can do it! Maybe you could start by just easing yourself into it, even go for just 10 minutes when there are other people there and build yourself up to going for your full work out. I'm not going to tell you that you're magically one day just feel comfortable with all the people, it's something you'll have to work out on your end. Keep it up!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I completely understand and in order to avoid those feelings I go at 4am plus if I leave it till the afternoon I know deep down the workout won't happen for me. I agree with what has been stated headphones and focus on yourself, something else you could add is a hat to hide your eyes, I've done this and it helps.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. and Shanel how do you find going so early? I find i eat more cuz I am awake for longer.
    I'm going to go tomorrow after work and just do it, intimidation and all.
    I'm going to try and go today too but just for Cardio, that I have no problem with doing in the pm haha.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I understand fully and just had to bite the bullet. I went in to the mostly male populated weights areas with my huge (Strong Curves) book, pen, and spreadsheets. Put on my headphones and music and just started to lift, writing down as i went. Got another woman interested and now we're lifting buddies! Looked like everyone was in their own world, and if i was looking at someone, it was interest in their form or a particular exercise I liked.
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I was even nervous to workout in front of my boyfriend lol. Just more or less the thought of people seeing you and judging you etc. Espically when you're a beginner, I've just sucked it up go in and do my thing. Now that I've gotten over it the anxiety of it it's really not so bad. Most are in there to do their thing and aren't really worried about anyone else.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been paying for a gym membership for two years and haven't used it once. Every time I try to go, I get the worst anxiety to the point my heart races and I feel sick. So I never go, even though I want to. I just can't.
  • mghaffar89
    mghaffar89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hazzaram wrote: »
    I've been paying for a gym membership for two years and haven't used it once. Every time I try to go, I get the worst anxiety to the point my heart races and I feel sick. So I never go, even though I want to. I just can't.

What about it is giving you anxiety? All the people or just the fact you're not sure what to do once you're there?
  • mghaffar89
    mghaffar89 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Lisseth03 wrote: »
    Long story short, I've developed this intimidation by gyms when they're packed, it's to the point where I started work at 6:30AM today so I woke up at 3:30 to work out just to avoid having to go in the pm when it's crazy busy. Anyone else go through this or am I just weird?
    It wasn't always like that, yeaaars back I had lost about 20 lbs and I was regularly going to the gym. After some time I gained half of it back and that was when the feeling intimidated happened. Back in Canada I joined a womens only gym and got a personal trainer and it really did help. I'm living in New Zealand now and have been going to the gym for about 4 months now but I can't seem to get that intimidation process out of my head. &frankly i'm starting to get tired of waking up so early, I eat more cuz i'm awake longer, and i'm constantly tired. I know I should just suck it up and go in the pm, and I have sometimes but the intimidation is still there. Anyone been through this and got over it?

I am right there with you :( I can't wake up early to go to the gym and I hate going in the evening because of the people. Yes people might be in their own world and what not but to be honest people are judging you there. I've seen it, heard it and have had it happened to me. Maybe it's because all the jacked up guys are jerks where I live lol but I really get paranoid and anxiety working out in front of others!
  • samobi17
    samobi17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean, especially now that we're in the snapchat era and so many people like to take pictures during their workout. I've switched to home workouts until I gain a little mor confidence.