Just had a baby and want to lose weight

Hi everyone, I just had a baby 4 months ago and am desperately trying to lose weight. I gained 58 pounds during my pregnancy and have lost about 28 pounds so far by delivering and eating a bit less. I am currently 183 pounds and was around 153 pounds prepregnancy. The scale does not seem to budge below 183. I would absolutely love to be 130-135 pounds since I was not happy with my prepregnancy weight either (I am 5'7"). I gained weight everywhere but my lower stomach, hips, thighs and butt are the worst. Any suggestions on what I can do to lose the weight quickly? I have no clue what workouts to do and for how long and how often as well as what to eat. Thank you!

Replies

• Harbin2017
    Harbin2017 Posts: 32 Member
    Are you breastfeeding your baby? If so, try not to cut your calories too much, but focus more on protein, vegetables, fruit. To be honest when my baby was 4 months i was so hungry bcs of BF that i could not lose anything at all. It started coming off when she was around 7-8 months (inch-wise) and now after finishing breastfeeding my appetite went down a lot, so is my weight. From a practical standpoint try making long walks with the stroller
  • EdieEd
    EdieEd Posts: 17 Member
    I agree with the post above. Just more fruit and veggies and avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Lean protein such as eggs, chicken, pork, and fish. Long walks is great cardio workout! aim for at least 30 min. It i very possible to do, I managed to drop 35 lbs in 6 months practically just doing this. Slow and steady is the way to go. Good luck!
  • m0mmymakeover
    m0mmymakeover Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I am currently NOT breastfeeding at all. I breastfed for about a month and unfortunately had to stop.
  • m0mmymakeover
    m0mmymakeover Posts: 5 Member
    I'm not sure if my daily food logs in my diary are visible, but if they are can someone please take a look at and comment on my eating? That would help me since I'm not knowledgeable on nutrition at all. Thank you!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Weight loss mostly revolves around sticking to your calorie goal. Set your loss rate to 0.5 or 1lb/ week with MFP, and start logging. Use a foodscale if you can, it will help with accuracy.

Your diary is not currently public. Eating does not have to be difficult, just eat a variety of foods and get your fruits and veggies in. Play with meal timing to figure out if you prefer frequent small meals or less frequent larger ones. Start logging and pay attention to how you feel, if you eat something and feel hungry again a few minutes later then that is not a very valuable food to you. If you eat something else of a similar calorie amount that keeps you full and happy for several hours then try to incorporate more items similar to that in your diet.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Cut yourself some slack. You just had a baby. Enjoy your baby. The weight loss will come.
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    I agree with chef- please be kind to yourself. You created life. That's no small task! And it took 9 months to put that weight on, it'll take at least that long for it to come off.

With that in mind, though- as a mom myself who formula fed my oldest, do your best to track everything you eat and try and use a food scale if you can to measure portions. If you can find the time to meal prep your lunches at least, that goes a long way in having something handy to grab and eat quickly! I tend to go for the easiest thing in the fridge, so meal prepping something nutritious has helped a great deal.

Does your baby like to be worn? Try to get into the habit of going for walks around the block every day. Bonus if baby does like to be worn- you just added 14 extra lbs to your walk! :)

Try to go 30 days without anything but water to drink. You'll be amazed at how you'll start to prefer it over anything else.

Remember... becoming a mom is a major life change. It feels like your whole world has been flipped upside-down. It's okay to fall off the wagon. You have the rest of your life to make healthy choices.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Congrats on the new baby, Momma! I wasted at least 4 yrs (my youngest is 5) on different diets that cut foods etc out and have never lost any substantial weight or kept it off. Calorie counting is the way to go. I weigh everything, I only record what my exercise bike says I've burned (usually around 1/2 of what MFP gives for the same time/exertion), and only eat those cals if I'm hungrier than usual or go out for special dinner etc. I'm losing steadily and really feel as if this time will be different and daily picture what it will be like to actually get to my goal. 4 mo after baby or 4 yrs after baby...it's never too early or late to make yourself a priority:)