Eating Keto and Raspberry Ketones

Options
Can someone please tell me if taking raspberry ketones would be beneficial while eating a Keto diet for weight loss. I researched a bit and could not find a definite answer. TIA

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/raspberry-ketones-uses-risks --- Web MD says to save your money
  • Motherofship
    Motherofship Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No. When you eat the Keto way, your body naturally increases production and subsequent elimination of ketones. If you feel you are not testing (with a ketosis stick) at high ketones, your diet needs to change. Taking artificial ketones will not help this process in any way.
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Okay I figured as much. I was generally hoping for a yes yes answer hahaha but I thought it would probably be too good to be true! Thanks everyone!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's an expensive way to burp raspberry.
  • Shelleben82
    Options

:D *kitten* part is, I already ordered the *kitten* 3 days ago thinking it would help me reach a higher level of ketosis! Boooo
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

:D *kitten* part is, I already ordered the *kitten* 3 days ago thinking it would help me reach a higher level of ketosis! Boooo

Out of curiosity, even if it would support a higher range of ketosis, what does you think that actually means?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

You do realise that a higher level of ketosis is known as ketoacidosis and can be fatal?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    When I'm looking after patients with diabetic ketoacidocis and measuring their blood ketones every hour (along with all the other management) I sometimes picture them to have 'raspberry ketones' and I wonder, do they taste like raspberries? Then I get the Prince song, Raspberry Beret stuck in my head ... except it's Raspberry Ketones ... and it stays stuck in my head for the whole shift.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones have exactly zero to do with nutritional ketosis. They just happen to share the same name.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    When I'm looking after patients with diabetic ketoacidocis and measuring their blood ketones every hour (along with all the other management) I sometimes picture them to have 'raspberry ketones' and I wonder, do they taste like raspberries? Then I get the Prince song, Raspberry Beret stuck in my head ... except it's Raspberry Ketones ... and it stays stuck in my head for the whole shift.

Thanks for that. :angry:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It's possible that raspberry ketones could help people who need ketones due to a medical condition, but so does MCTs and coconut oil, as well as calorie and protein restriction along with lower carb levels.

Some believe it is the presence of ketones that causes the appetite suppressing benefits of a LCHF diet. It isn't proven though. I think it's more from a lack of carbs if anything.

You do realise that a higher level of ketosis is known as ketoacidosis and can be fatal?

But that will not happen to a person unless they cannot produce insulin. Mainly type 1 diabetics. Ketoacidosis occurs with very high ketones AND very high blood glucose.

I could not eat for a few days, maybe have a bit of MCTs to increases my ketones, take some raspberry ketones and still not even be close to achieving ketoacidosis, due to low blood glucose.
  • Shelleben82
    Options
    Thanks guys! No need to throw the book at me, and yes i know what ketoacidosis is. And no I don't have a death wish. I was just tryin to throw in a bit of humor but since y'all brought the lame train to my thread I now feel uneducated. Grassy *kitten*!