Daily weighers!

Options
Hi all I know I shouldn't weigh everyday but I do anyway, for those that also weigh everyday do you see a small loss everyday or does it all come off at the end of the week? Thank you

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing every day as long as you accept and understand fluctuations and dont get to obsessed with it.

I dont see a loss every day. I get a loss every now and again. My weight tends to peak on Wednesdays and sundays for some reason and drop on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Weighing every day works better for some people. I do. My weight varies all week long, although I do sometimes stay one solid weight for a few consecutive days. I just go by my weekly trend. I originally used Excel to log, but then I switched over to the Libra app.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Neither, it zig zags. Individual data points do t matter trends matter
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    missnaynay wrote: »
    Hi all I know I shouldn't weigh everyday but I do anyway, for those that also weigh everyday do you see a small loss everyday or does it all come off at the end of the week? Thank you

I see my biggest loss on Tuesday/Wednesday as I pick up a bit of water weight over the weekend and then Thursday/Friday is small amounts.
  • shawnt85
    shawnt85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and I feel that it works better for me. I also use the library app.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    In a standard couple of weeks in between TOTM, it goes up, down, up, same weight, down, suddenly up lots, stays up, suddenly drops, stays there, goes up to just below where I started on day 1, stays there...

I find it fascinating, and I'm not perturbed by the fluctuations, so weighing every day does me no harm.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday using happy scales to see my trending weight per week.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day - it helps me to look for trends in eating/stress etc...this week has been horrible at work - long hours, not enough water/walking during the day and crappy sleep...and my weight has gone up...
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm also a daily weigher! I use Happy Scales and seeing the ups/downs and the trend helps me understand my weight fluctuations. Sodium is a huge trigger for me as well as TOM. I usually seeing several losses during the month, maybe 10 days apart or so. I stopped worrying about the daily changes because I know I have a nice downward trend going overall. Nothing wrong with weighing in daily as long as your expectations are reasonable.
  • LewisAMartinez
    LewisAMartinez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I see fluctuations. Sometimes there's ups and downs, and sometimes there's a steady trend. I use daily weighing to catch adverse trends early before they cause too much damage.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with weighing daily, just don't get too hung up on what the scale says.
  • nicholerohrer
    nicholerohrer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day! I stay around the same weight (give or take a half pound) most of the week and then see a drop around Wednesday/Thursday. Sometimes I wont lose for a week and see a bigger drop every two weeks. All depends on TOTM and water retention for me.
  • SherriB1983
    SherriB1983 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also weigh everyday. I honestly just started my weight loss journey about 12 days ago. I got soooo excited when my first 7lbs melted off! And I haven't changed a thing, but according to the scale it looks like I've already hit my plateau. Because I've weighed the same the past 3 days. A good friend of mine is a health nut and she's telling me not to weigh everyday because of things like this. It's so motivating seeing those numbers go down, but once they stop going down it honestly makes you feel like you are doing something wrong when I know I'm not...
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Try using an app like Happy Scale or Libra. I'm a daily weigher and it really helped me put it in to perspective.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. I only record new low weights, unless it has been a higher # for more than 4 days then I will log that weight.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've held on to weight for 10 days straight and then lost 2 pounds in 24 hours. Weight loss is not linear and you shouldn't expect the scale to go down every day. Also, everyone is different. Some people lose a little at a time. Some people (like me) lose in chunks.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with weighing yourself every day as long as you have REASONABLE EXPECTATIONS about what you're going to see. A helpful tool is a weight-trend tracking app (say that 3 times fast). I use Trendweight.com. It takes your daily weight fluctuations and smooths them out into a line. Here's mine as an example:
    4w.png

As you can see, the scale goes up and down a lot! But, the overall line shows my weight steadily dropping. Hope this helps!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I also weigh everyday. I honestly just started my weight loss journey about 12 days ago. I got soooo excited when my first 7lbs melted off! And I haven't changed a thing, but according to the scale it looks like I've already hit my plateau. Because I've weighed the same the past 3 days. A good friend of mine is a health nut and she's telling me not to weigh everyday because of things like this. It's so motivating seeing those numbers go down, but once they stop going down it honestly makes you feel like you are doing something wrong when I know I'm not...

weight loss is not a linear process - i.e. I'm going to lose x lbs every week - you may go up, you may go down - I know its hard to not focus on the number, but treat it like a piece of data that influences your overall health
  • vicdavery
    vicdavery Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    From a mathematical point of view, the more data points you have the better idea you have of overall trends. So daily weighing is the best solution.
    However, you will get fluctuations. So using a weighted rolling-average like trendweight or hacker's diet implements gives you the best picture of your progress.