Really big people trying to get started on weight loss.

Options
I am really really big BMI of 64! I think for people who are really big 300+ weight loss is a different bird to start and I would like to know if other people out there are starting this journey. and looking for support, advice, and just someone else in the same boat.

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm SOOOOOO proud of you for coming on board!! Add me if you want, not 300 pounds but I have more than 300 pounds of support for you!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just start! Eat healthy and work out (even starting small: jumping jacks, walking, lift weights - light or heavy) and you'll do just fine.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i started my journey at 206 to lose. a month into it, mostly counting calories, and watching portion sizes, along with drinking LOADS of water, i'm down 21 pounds.
    i know the heavier you are the harder it is to start. specially when you want to exercise, but feel to big for the gym, or to be out running, or whatever.
    just start small, and you'll get there! this is a GREAT place to start. many great people here for support.
    welcome to the club!
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I started at at least 377 and I'm down a bit over 40lbs now. I'm going to friend you. There is a lot of support here! :flowerforyou:
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Please feel free to add me.

I was at 310 when I started and it's going to be hard, especially changing my eating habits, but I love to help other people through it too! It seems like a daunting task, just because my numbers are SO high, but I am determined to do it this time.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Welcome!
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I understand how hard it is to exercise and diet and to take those first few steps towards health and weight loss but you can do it. I think the first step is realizing we can't do it alone and we need help. Serious help. I went to a nutritionist at first who got me going. Her first piece of advice was to record all I ate. That is how I found this site. It is amazing and so helpful. I think just recording all that I ate raised my awareness of how I got to be so overweight. God Bless you on your journey.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Take it one step, one decision at a time. Know you can do this! Start exercising by walking - even if it's just a couple of tmes around your house. Follow the MFP guideline of cals - don't try to drop them down to lose faster. You might in the short run but your health and long term success is at stake.

Here's to your success!!!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    Just start! Jump in, and make little changes. Personally, I have been working on tackling a healthy daily diet first. I'm more active than I was, but not yet what I plan to be! I think that if I tried to throw myself into both I would lose focus, get annoyed with myself, and stop. And I don't want to stop! I started last July at 380. You can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • JerryHuss
    JerryHuss Posts: 1
    Options
    I started at 305 lb on November 19, 2010 and I now weigh 224. I did it through a combination of exercise and counting calories. I started out walking 2 miles per morning and tried to keep my net calories, after crediting exercise to 1000 per day. Oatmeal and a banana every morning, Slimfast with skin milk and half an apple at noon, and my main meal at night. I have increased my daily morning walk to 4 miles in 60 minutes and then walk 6 to 7 miles on Saturday and walk 6½ miles on Sunday, two miles of which is about a 1000 foot climb. I am now off glucophage, blood pressure medicine, and statins for cholestrol. My blood sugar is normal, my blood pressure is low, my HDL is way up, my LDL and total cholestrol are in low normal ranges. I have the most energy that I have had in 30 years (I am 62). It can be done. The heavier you are, the faster the weight comes off. The rewards were far worth the effort and I am never going back there.
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Not in exactly the same boat, but you will find a lot of support here along with tools to figure what changes you need to make to get where you want to be in the future...The positive is that even small changes make a big difference. Congrats on starting!!!
  • yojibalinese
    Options
    I started here just over a year ago at 340 lbs and I've dropped 89 lbs since. It's slow going, no one's going to say that this is an easy journey. Give it some time, count all of your calories, even if you go over, and then you'll start to get annoyed by the weight loss. Having to get new clothes every month or two or learn to sew to alter them is a pain in the neck.

And the best feeling in the world.
  • tanjanica
    tanjanica Posts: 5
    Options
    I know how you feel. My issue is staying in the game. I'm looking for support as well and would love to help anyway I can. I need to be held accountable as much as I can.
  • cruisequilt
    Options
    I just signed up tonight and I am 310 lbs so I know what you mean about it being harder for those of us with alot to lose. I really need someone to help me do this.
    Cruisequilt
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on starting :)
    I started at 306 and joined MFP at 300 and am currently at 295. All I have done so far is watch my portions, drink lots of water, and I go walking 4 times a week. I'm slowly putting healthier foods into my diet since I really doubted I would stick to it if I just switched over, and it's working pretty well for me.
  • PamelaRose88
    Options
    Wow! You are all very inspiring! Not only for all of your success stories but because of the support and encouragement to another human being!! So awesome to see! :)

And I agree, the best way to get started...is to get started!! Im sure soon you'll do as alot of us do and check in on mfp often and learn to really love the tools offered as well as the people on here!! So motivating!!
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just signed up tonight and I am 310 lbs so I know what you mean about it being harder for those of us with alot to lose. I really need someone to help me do this.
    Cruisequilt

Listen, no one can help you do this but yourself. We all had to learn this. However, I will tell you that we will support you and try to guide you the best we can. Ultimately, the one eating, excerising is you. So it's time we take initiative and responsibility for our actions. As my fiance says "Nothing changes, if nothing changes." So make gradual changes, if anything I learned drastic quick changes didnt help me whatsoever. One week I'm pushing my self to drink water, other weeks I'm trying to jog a little longer on the treadmill. Everything in due time and patience is key. We all secretly wish there was a magic pill but there isnt. It is so of a satisfaction knowing that you earned your LIFE back. ultimately thats whats losing weight is about, GAINING more time to spend on this place we call home. LOSING TO GAIN! We support you, God bless you on this journey. :)

P.S. SOmething that helps me, every morning I pray "GOD, you know my struggle with my weight but I claim in Jesus name that it will not take me over! Guide me today with making better decisions on what I'm feeding my body and to strengthen my mind body and soul. In Jesus name, Amen!"
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    Hello!

I was 273 when I started and I am now at 154. Please feel free to add me as a friend.

I am not an expert at all, but I am happy to answer questions based on my own experience. I do not push or advocate for anything other than consistent healthy eating and regular exercise, but I can offer support and encouragement.

Congratulations on getting started!
  • HansTied
    HansTied Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see you here. We all have this in common, and yet we are all individuals. Our appoaches and results will differ but we are here to support each other. I have met some really helpful people here. Welcome and good luck.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Well I started at 272lbs. I know that's not 300+, but I'll pass along some things I picked up.

It is like 85% diet and 15% exercise. So really focus on better and healthier eating habits. What helped me was to slowly switch out foods for "better" ones. I use better loosly, because I started out with lots of sugar free jello, puddings, granola bars etc. Eating 5 jellos in one sitting isn't exactly healthy, but it was much better for me than eating 5 slices of cheesecake! Hope that makes sense.

Some exercise to look into is swimming or water aerobics (if you have it), and just walking. I lost my first 30lbs just walking, and no other exercise. Then once you feel more physically fit, you can start adding in other stuff. I also started out slow. My first walk I only made it 1/4 of a mile, but a week or so later, I was able to do 1 mile, then gradually I was able to longer walks etc.

Try finding people who are inspiring to you, or in the same weight range as you. I personally thought it helped tremendously to have people I could relate to on here. The fact that I have 100+ to lose made it hard for me to relate to people who only need to lose 10 or 15. But I have quite a few friends that have already reached there goal, and they are always motivating me, because I want to do what they did!

Welcome to MFP, I think you'll like it. :)

PS - And always remember, if you feel you didn't do as well as you "should" have one day, that you need to forgive yourself (don't get mad or be disappointed in yourself) and try again the next day. The most important thing is to keep going not matter how many bumps there is in the road.