Depression & Medication

Options
2»

Replies

• nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Most anti depressants shouldnt be stopped without a slow withdrawal so whilst I can see why you stopped taking them, until you talk to you Dr it would be better if you continued with your meds then he/she can advise how to correctly come off them.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Prozac is supposed to not cause weight gain. I currently am on the generic, and I have noticed myself feeling better. Though, I don't know about the weight loss thing because of my problems with binging.
  • alslau02
    alslau02 Posts: 64
    Options
    Each type of drug will affect you differently. If it has a side effect you don't like discuss it with your doctor. Another thing to consider is that some folks get suppressed appetite when depressed and regain a normal appetite when the meds start working.

For me, Prozac has completely killed my appetite to an unreasonable degree.
  • cldeib
    cldeib Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    While I agree that you need to speak to your doctor, I will say that after trying numerous anti-depressants I am very happy with Celexa. There is a cheaper generic form, like a previous poster stated. I haven't gained any weight on it and it hasn't affected my appetite. I hope you find something that works for you. I know how you are feeling. Just keep your head up!
  • shelleilei
    shelleilei Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I was on meds for deression and anxiety and I gained 60 pounds like it was my job....UGH! I kept going to the Dr and every one they tried just made me keep gaining so finally I just stopped them altogether (which I don't recommend!) So far I lost 6 pounds without effort. I hate that I have to be fat and happy or depressed and at a good weight. No win situation. Sorry that I don't have any real advice for you but I do know what you're going through.
  • CoolMoonGoddess
    Options
    Hi... personally I find Lexapro (or Citalopram in generic) to be the one that messes with my weight the least.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    When I was on Welbutrin I lost a ton of weight. My roommate had the same reaction, but we both had to set timers to remember to eat at all. :ohwell:
  • kaitlynnm10
    kaitlynnm10 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the responses so I'm sure it's been mentioned. Wellbutrin SR. In most cases it decreases the appetite.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, but maybe take up meditation like someone mentioned earlier.

I say this only because I was extremely depressed and suicidal last year. I saw a counselor and she tried convincing me to speak with the psychologist so I could get on antidepressants.

I said NO WAY!

I was depressed because I was unhappy about many things in my life during that time: bad relationship, I isolated myself, grades dropped, lose of pets, lose of friends, sexually molested, bored with my life, felt trapped/overworked etc.

For some reason, it was hard for the counselor to just say: Here, lets try and get rid of these problems instead...so I did it on my own:

Broke up, started talking to people more and participating in my clubs more, stopped working so much and took out an extra loan, moved onto campus for safety, worked on my grades, luckily found a home for my pet (I feel sad and guilty [fear of going to visit because of the sexual molestation and stalking...] but really grateful), started talking to friends again, signed up to study abroad in Japan (I've always wanted to), and decided to work on bettering things in general.

I still don't feel amazing yet, but I don't feel suicidal anymore and the panic attacks I used to have stopped!

Maybe...there is something that can be changed in your life that will make you happier instead. =)
  • crystalizepurple
    crystalizepurple Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I used to take the generic of Wellbutrin (buproprion) and I lost weight. However, as someone above mentioned, it made it more difficult to focus on my schooling. Basically the thing that worked best for me was going to therapy and talking with a counselor. I did therapy for a little over a year and now I feel much more prepared to cope with things. I did hit some down points during, but I managed to look up coping techniques online and surrounded myself with people who make me happy.