Are my baby carrots still good to eat? (Past best by date)

Options
miinanov
miinanov Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have a package of baby carrots in the fridge and the package said it was Best By March 21, 2 days ago. I wanted to eat it with my hummus but I don't know if I should risk eating it.

Are they still good after 2 days of its expiry date? Should I go ahead and just eat it?

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Most foods are fine to eat past their expiration date. The only things I'd really be worried about would be meats and dairy products.
  • Tazzie0208
    Tazzie0208 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes, they're still good. unless you feel them mucosy or see spots on them. :)
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'd eat them. Especially with hummus.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    take a look at them. are they slimy? do they look bad? otherwise go for it.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    They're not going to make you sick, they might just not taste as great. Take a bite and see.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Sight and smell test is the best, if they look edible and smell edible, they are probably edible.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Did they grow fur? Turn a weird color (other than white)? Smell funny (as in not like a carrot anymore)? Turn slimy? Turn mushy? Or otherwise grew legs and started walking your way?

If they have whitish spots, it just means they started dehydrating and should be used ASAP, but they're still good eat. If any of the other things I've listed above are happening, you'll want to toss them.

In general the 'best by' date is a guideline. But learning how to tell when certain foods have gone bad (or not) is a pretty good way to save money. No need to toss perfectly good food just because of a date printed on a wrapper. :smile:
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I eat stuff MONTHS past the best before date and never had a problem (obviously depends what it is - but I don't think carrots are a major risk after 2 days!!)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Unless they're slimy, furry, smelly, or mushy I'd eat them.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Best before dates are guidelines. It's not like food suddenly goes bad the day after the expiration date.

Fruit and veggies are pretty easy to visually inspect for signs of expiry.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    rinse them off , carrots will get limp or slimy if they are going bad..
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Most foods can be eaten past their so called sell by date - if it looks and smells ok then it'll be fine to use.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    There's a difference between 'best before' and 'use by'. They're quite self explanatory so if it's just a best before they should be fine :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    As long as there's no mold growing on them I eat them. It's likely they'll just dry out eventually and even at that point they're fine to eat (although they taste crappy).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    miinanov wrote: »
    So I have a package of baby carrots in the fridge and the package said it was Best By March 21, 2 days ago. I wanted to eat it with my hummus but I don't know if I should risk eating it.

Are they still good after 2 days of its expiry date? Should I go ahead and just eat it?

If they are not slimy or dried out to where they are too hard, they are good to eat.
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Should be fine. For best results, rinse them and store them in the veggie drawer in an air-tight container with some paper towel lining the bottom. Produce shouldn't be kept in their bags. Moisture rots food. Carrots can be kept a long time if cool and fairly dry!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    http://www.stilltasty.com
    "How to tell if baby carrots are bad or spoiled? The best way is to smell and look at the baby carrots: discard any carrots that have an off smell or appearance; if mold appears, discard the baby carrots" from still tasty

Your carrots are fine if they look, smell and taste fine.