A Question for the Ladies.

Options
2»

Replies

• Alaranio
    Alaranio Posts: 75
    Options
    I have PMDD and take birth control specifically with this in mind.. I have sodium cravings, whole jar of pickles type. Just don't have that stuff in your house. Plan before you get it to have that stuff cleared from the house and don't go out to the store. Sugar free jello mousse or sugar free whole fruit popsicles.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism speeds up during TOM's visit. You will have some natural weight gain from retention, but that should leave shortly after this is about 2-3lbs worth. Anything over the 2-3 lbs is actual weight gain. If you can control your hunger, and push, you will actually benefit from the higher metabolic rate. Also don't forget to drink plenty of water. :)

Really? I read or heard somewhere that the metabolism does not change during TOM. Not a medical expert so I could be wrong on this. I usually get cravings the week prior. I'm back to normal as soon as TOM begins. I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

I think your metabolism speeds up from fasting in general, at least if it's done for only a short period of time.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I get REALLY hungry during that time, and, honestly, snacking on veggies just doesn't cut it. I sometimes have to just suffer through the hunger to keep from blowing my calories, but I'm learning to find healthy snacking alternatives that satisfy my cravings.

Fruit really helps, especially dried fruit. I always crave gummy candy, so that is a really good, healthy substitute that actually satisfies my craving. Admittedly, I sometimes go for candied ginger, which has a lot of sugar, but it's spicy enough that I can't eat a whole lot in one sitting. I go for a lot of healthy fats, too, like nuts, peanut butter, and all-natural sweet potato chips. Of course, chocolate is a must, but I go for the darker stuff, now. That's when I'm also more likely to switch to lattes from black coffee, but I only drink soy milk, now, so it's a few calories less than regular milk (unfortunately, that also means more sugar, but I solve that by buying a smaller size). As for ice cream, I pretty much only eat plain, tart frozen yogurt as it is, and I make sure I keep the portion size reasonable by spooning the amount I need into a dish instead of eating right out of the carton.

Wow, thanks so much for all the tips! I will definitely be trying the dried fruit.
  • stylelush646
    stylelush646 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound really rude but youre my friend and im just trying to be supportive and say what worked for me

i stopped blaming it on pms and started really practicing self control

i know your period can be a really tough time, but try shifting the blame to yourself and you might be less likely to give in!

i agree that you must have control during this time of month however, you do get really hungry during your period because your hormones are changing therefore you crave food all the time so its not that its all in your head and can control it, your body is telling you that you are hungry but you have to tell it that it isnt by avoid that fatty foods that will make you crave even more. I would also avoid salty stuff because of the bloating and you'll be fine. I get to the point that i have to eat everything i see. Thank goodness i'm on my first day and i havent craved anything and gave in. its a first! (i think everyone on here is synching lol)
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well, I just put down the container of peanuts that I was eating.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Last time I had a TOM my boyfriend asked me how come I never get into a crappy mood or anything.
    I don't gain weight either. Nothing changes except for the obvious.
    I told its because all of this TOM is just a myth. Maybe not completely a myth but I think its greatly exaggerated by people's belief that all of these things will happen and using it as an excuse. Its not a very good excuse at all.
    I'm on the pill, so maybe that makes some sort of difference, idk. Thats just what I think.
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Last time I had a TOM my boyfriend asked me how come I never get into a crappy mood or anything.
    I told its because all of this TOM is just a myth. Maybe not completely a myth but I think its greatly exaggerated by people's belief that all of these things will happen and using it as an excuse. Its not a very good excuse at all.
    I'm on the pill, so maybe that makes some sort of difference, idk. Thats just what I think.

I kind of agree with this to be honest. I've never had any more or less of a problem controlling what I eat during my period. I don't really feel any different on my period other than that I get pains sometimes. I don't think it's a complete myth, it's bound to affect some people more than me, but I think it is often exaggerated as an excuse to have chocolate/ be moody :P

Men have hormone changes too and they don't complain about it :P
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I completely agree, and I'm not on the pill. I think unless you have that PMDD, a lot of it is willpower. My old roommate, when we first met, told me that she gets very moody the day before her period and i should ignore it. To me, that's an excuse. She could have chosen to keep her mouth shut if she had wanted. You choose what goes in and out of your mouth (for the most part). I'm not saying that I'm perfect because I'm not, I mean, you can look at my food diary. I ate a strawberry ice cream sundae today. I chose to eat it, I saw it there the whole day and really wanted it, and I just didn't eat it mindlessly. I have those mindlessly eating days, but I know it's my willpower and not my hormones or whatever. I don't mean to be insulting or rude, but it's just my feelings. If you feel like you have to eat, settle in a comfy chair, get something on your lap so you can't get up, or get out of the house.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS so My period comes at random times... I have deduced that it is on it's meandering way in 2 primary ways.

1. I catch myself being a total turd to my family with no provocation... I shut up, mark it on my calender and drive on.
    One week later...
    2. I want SALT!!! And lots of it! Maybe a bit of sweet but mostly salt. I used to eat it right out of my hand!!! Now I make foods that have a bit more natural sodium in them, I don't add salt and use LOTS od spices in my cooking. And I mark my calender.
    One week later...
    3. My "friend" comes on her irregular visit. During I am pretty much normal, a little lethargic but nothing a good swift kick in the pants by my bestie on the way to the gym won't fix!

My point in all this is that some of what happens to us is what we think will happen, it is our expectation... And some is just plain icky hormones. Observe, adjust, and drive on... You can do it with some endurance, self-discovery, and Lotsa prayer (by your family)!!! Lol

Good luck!

Sonia