NSV -- not giving into emotional eating!

Options
westcoastSW
westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
So, earlier today, I had the most rewarding, feel-good, success thus far. Besides counting calories and carbs and all that jazz, lately I have been trying to really feel in my body when I am hungry and when I am not. If you haven't yet read "Women Food and God" by Geneen Roth, I highly recommend it! (Refer to the quote in my signature.) Anyway, due to personal circumstances that were not food related, I was just having a crappy moment today. I was feeling disappointed, irritated, and as though I was in a situation that I could not change. (That part was true; I couldn't change the particular circumstance.) I had just eaten a lunch of half a turkey and avocado sandwich from Togo's (best sandwiches!), and had the other half in my bag. While stewing about said circumstances, I kept thinking about eating the other half of the sandwich.

This was a regular sized Togo's sandwich, which is far too big for one meal. I did not need the other half (yet, anyway, maybe for dinner). Every few minutes I kept thinking about this half sandwich, since it was delicious and eating it would allow me to instantly "change the channel," so to speak, from crappy situation to absolute deliciousness.

But somewhere in the back of my mind was my non-emotional, rational, intelligent voice, reminding me to ask my stomach if it wanted more food. It didn't. I wanted it, but my body didn't. And I didn't eat it.

Sorry for drawing it out so long, but it was an emotional achievement :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mommachef
    mommachef Posts: 52
    Options
    Wahoo! Way to listen to your body!
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    That is great! It take a lot of willpower to listen to your body and mind instead of emotions. It's really something to be proud of!
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    After years of giving in to those urges it's a tough thing to fight. Great job :)
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I suffer from emotional eating so I know how amazing this NSV is!
  • tullylish54
    Options
    So don't respond to intstinct...remember to ask what head says? Seems like sound advice and hope it keeps working well.

Helpful, timely post on a Friday morning

Thanks

T
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!