Healthy meals kids will eat

Options
I'm trying to eat healthy meals (low cal, lots of veggies) but I'm finding it tricky to prepare healthy meals that my 6-year-old and 3-year-old will also eat. Any suggestions for healthy meals that grownups and kids can both enjoy? The kids are pretty adventurous when it comes to protein but vegetables aren't their favorite.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I like to make pasta bakes and put lots of veggies in there. They have no idea.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    When my kids were that age what they loved was to be involved in choosing what they were having.

They wouldn't eat a plate of chicken and salad, but they would delight in assembling a wrap by choosing a peice of chicken, adding salad ingredients separately (lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber etc).

Similar with cooked vegetables. If the plate was served to them they would pick with disinterest but if they had a chance to pick up the veggies with tongs and put them on their own plate, allowing them to exercise some discretion in choice and ownership about what they were eating they were much more inclined to eat an adequate amount.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com has a lot of great recipes. My 3 year old loves roasted veggies and when they are sautéed in garlic. But sometimes she isn't into it.. so I also sneak some into sauces, soups, fritters, in meatballs/burgers, eggs, pancakes, muffins etc.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My kids love tacos...it's easy to smash up avocado and hide the chopped spinach on the inside. I sub the sour cream with greek yogurt.

We make our own pizza with thin crust, shredded chicken, or ground beef; also easy to hide the chopped spinach in sauce/cheese.

I make a fake lasagna...basically all the ingredients minus the noodles (low carb). My kids really like that.

Chilli is super easy and can be loaded with beans/meat/veggies...the spices and cooking down the veggies can mask the taste too.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My kid eats what I eat or goes without. I recently was happy to discover he likes oatmeal with no added sugar, only raisins to sweeten. I had to make him stop so I'd have leftovers for breakfast in the morning, lol. He also loves all kinds of vegetables.

This. I never cooked different food for my kids, and now they are grown up and eat a wide range of healthy foods (and some not so healthy too!)
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    What are they eating already? Maybe start with making smaller changes to make those meals healthier.
    They do get used to veges too - it can take a few times.

I also found raw vege sticks and dip another good way to add in some healthy food.

Involving them in making dinner can be fun too....sometimes need extra time and patience though, so not on the days you are in a rush.
    And if you have space, growing food themselves is great - tomatoes, peas, potatoes are some my kids now love after growing their own (my son wouldn't touch potato until we grew some!).

Vegetable soup can be another way to add in extras - for an afternoon snack or with a meal. I find my kids like soup better in a mug with a small spoon rather than in a bowl!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My dd likes minestrone soup. She is fine with vegetables in pasta sauce or a casserole. She will eat baked potato or roasted potato slices. She likes creamed spinach. Finely chopped up vegetables mixed in fried rice or egg rolls are okay with her.
    Chicken taquito with spinach
    Cheese manicotti or lasagna with spinach

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My friend who worked as a teachers aide and a foster parent of special needs kids has all sorts of tricks up her sleeve. I've seen her put out all the fixings to make fruit pizzas. Similarly for kebabs. Get the children involved in the construction.

Put out very small amounts of the new veggies the first time.

I use ranch dressing and cheez whiz to dress up veggies.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    My kid eats what I eat or goes without. I recently was happy to discover he likes oatmeal with no added sugar, only raisins to sweeten. I had to make him stop so I'd have leftovers for breakfast in the morning, lol. He also loves all kinds of vegetables.

Pretty much this. Two of our three kids were not picky at all. One was a little picky, but not too bad. The small list of fruits/veggies he turned his nose up at, he still had to take one bite of each time they were offered (his was usually a texture issue). After awhile, his palate adjusted, and he now eats all the things, as well. As has also been mentioned, roasting vegetables is definitely the way to go. My kids love them.

My SIL, on the other hand, always caved in to every little complaint from her kids and prepared them separate food. To this day, her two sons (aged 16 and 19) pretty much eat only pepperoni pizza, bread, cheese and lunch meat, and pasta with butter only (plus every kind of sweet and junk food on the planet). She totally ruined them.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the my kids eat what I eat camp. Each of my kids has 1-2 foods they just don't like (like mushrooms and squash), and I can live with that. They are both adventurous foodies who aren't overweight, so I did something right in that regard. My daughter is in college and regularly sends me pictures of the food she cooks for herself. She has Celiac, so the normal staples of Ramen and cheapo college foods just aren't an option for her. She made sauted chicken and roasted Brussells sprouts the other day. I was a proud mama! My 13 year old son would rather dive into a perfectly grilled salmon filet than have chicken nuggets. He's also weird because he'll eat salad with no dressing. Go figure! I think a lot of this stems from my daughter's diet restrictions as a young child, so we always cooked more meals than we did convenience type foods.

They have cousins who would come to family dinners with Spaghetti Os and hot dogs while my kids ate steak and amazing delicious stuff.

Anyway--roast those veggies. A little olive oil and sea salt goes a long way. Lately we've been into "green bean fries" where we toss fresh green beans with EVOO and sea salt and roast at 4:25 for about 25 minutes. They get a little charred and crisp but are SO delicious. We'll also steam some edamame pods and sprinkle with sea salt and smoked paprika. It's a very hands-on snack that is SO satisfying to eat.
  • amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I also cook dinner daily for the family. There are no menus in my house. So my advice would be to just cook what you will eat and to start with give them a little of what they are used to eating. I have 2 children of my own who always ate the same food as us and last year I became long term foster mum to a 6 yr old who just didn't know what healthy food was. We are now a year in and he eats mostly the same as everyone else, but it hasn't been easy. He definitely has an issue with textures, meat in particular, but he loves chicken. I just told him from the start that there were no menus here, and dinner is for everyone. I do make sure that we have food he likes occasionally as well. But on pizza night I normally have some leftovers from the previous night. One day an add came on for Pot Noodle and he said "Oh those are my favourite" and the rest of us just looked at him in astonishment. My 9 year old then said "but that's not even food!!" The poor fella was in shock at our response, but at that moment I had another insight as to how big a lifestyle change it was for him to move to our family.
    So the moral of the story is, if I can get a kid who has grown up on Pot Noodle to eat everyday dinners, then anyone can! Just lead by example :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    The 6 year old is old enough to take shopping and getting input on what vegetables to buy. Getting children involved in the process can get them to try new things. Also try growing a few things or just some herbs and have the children help water ect. I was lucky that my parents had a huge garden and my children would go over and eat different vegetables right out of the garden.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My kids are 4 and 7. I make one meal but I make sure that there are some foods that they prefer. I also let them build their plates. My 7 year old eat nearly everything but my 4 year old is still testing things out. They younger one will eat pretty much any protein and any fruit but only some veggies. This is fine for us because most nights we have a salad and she can assemble her own with whatever veggies she likes that are out. When roasted veggies are on the side, she can pick which ones she would like. Regularly, I have both of my girls try out something new or previously not preferred. If healthy foods are all that is available to choose, they will choose them or wait until the next time food is offered.
    It has also been helpful for us to involve the girls in buying and preparing our food. They have more invested when they get to help out. It's super fun to do diy wraps/salads, kabobs, pizzas, tacos/burritos, etc. I also don't "sneak" veggies in their foods. If I am putting veggies in something, they know it's there (like zucchini muffins, powdered greens in smoothies, veggies in marinara sauce, etc). They are in the kitchen with me and they see it happening.
    The most helpful thing for us is them seeing their parents eating healthy foods and enjoying them with them.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of "eat what's served or go hungry" and making special meals. My son can eat what he wants and how much he wants from what's on offer at each meal, but he doesn't have to clean his plate, try everything, or eat at all if he doesn't want to. I don't see the point in trying to make him eat identically to me; we are different people with vastly different physical needs, if nothing else. I make meals that contain at least one (usually two or more) component he likes and I make sure the foods I prepare and offer him are a good mix of healthy, fun, and tasty. After that, he takes over and decides what and how much of what I've offered he's going to eat -- and he knows I will not offer anything else if he decides to turn up his nose at the entire meal.

Sometimes this means (like last night) he has two helpings of rice and broccoli-cheese sauce, but no asparagus. Sometimes it means (like last week) he eats 400000000 baby carrots and cherry tomatoes, but skips the tilapia. Sometimes (like Saturday) it means he scarfs down his own whole steak and double helpings of mashed potatoes and salad; sometimes (like many nights) it means he takes two bites, says he's full, and I'm left wondering how he has so much energy to run around! Sometimes (like Monday) it means I make mac'n'cheese from a box because he likes it, and sometimes it means he kindly eats artichokes and quinoa because I like them and he's being nice to his cranky mom that day.

It works out for both of us: I don't have to spend money and time on "kid meals," he gets to have agency over his appetite and food choices, and neither of us spend much time fighting over dinner. :wink:
  • jpear45
    jpear45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite ways to introduce healthier meals to kids... I started making healthy swaps on favorite meals, such as making homemade chicken nuggets and involving the kids in the cooking like letting them shake the bag full of chicken and coating mixture. I add cauliflower to mashed potatoes, made homemade sweet potato fries... Another favorite in our house is spaghetti, so I added spaghetti squash to a smaller portion of noodles and topped with a veggie loaded sauce. Make your own salad bar is another great idea several folks have already commented on.
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    maybe an option could be smoothies or shakes for nutrition? my parents used to make these green smoothies and mask all the vegetables with fruits or some apple juice.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    My kids LOVE Pita pizzas... They're about 475 cals and they eat vegetables they normally wouldn't touch as toppings. I use cooked marinated chicken breast rather than pepperoni to add a good amount of protein coupled with 75g of light pizza mozzarella so these things have tons of veggies and a decent amount of protein (around 40g iirc)
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with this. I have a 2 year old who will eat whatever I give him but my 3 year old is horrible. She is so picky, anything casserole or pasta she gags and almost throws up...she has some type of a texture issue. She will eat whatever I serve her but often it can be a battle. Of course she loves the not so good for you foods-I feel like I am ruining her by just giving her what I know she will eat.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My kids were given what we were having and they were required to try new foods at least once. We also let them help pick things out at the store, a new fruit or veggie. We gave them the option to not eat something they truly didn't like but for the most part, what we cooked was dinner and if they truly hated it they could have a PBJ that night. They're nearly 17 and the rules are pretty much the same, though now they're pretty adventurous eaters when given the opportunity.