What's the point?

Options
2»

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I think this is a huge stress for many plp, honestly I have done it all ways possible lol my trainer says to eat back about 85% which works for me. I started out not eating them back and lost about 7lbs, then I went to eating them and lost 20lbs, now I am on a new track that I eat when my body tells me and I have lost another 3lbs, I am pretty close to my goal too . I dont work out as hard and I am geared more towards muscle gain now so I am not as worried about the totally calories in and out.

Basically I think doing what you feel is best is good, but for goodness sakes I say EAT!! LOL
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If I am hungry, I eat. If I am not hungry, I don't eat. I'm not going to starve myself and I'm not going to stuff myself.

I, too, think the body knows best and I am going to start listening to it.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I just burned 300 calories beating a dead horse... and you better believe I eat them back. Works for me.

:laugh:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If I eat 1200 calories and do my normal workout my day would look like this...1200-950=250 left to fuel my body ALL day. After a while doing this everyday, because I don't have a huge amount to lose, my body will start to freak and think I don't have enough food. The point is to get at least 1200 to fuel your body to walk to the car, breath, cook dinner, you get the point. If you eat 1500 calories and only burn 300 per day by all means skip eating them back but don't think that if you go as low as you can on calories you will lose faster.
  • camy_chick
    camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    i usually don't eat mine back. i just use them as a backer, in case i WANT to splurge a little bit. it's nice to have that buffer there.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to create a 500 cal deficit built into my daily calorie intake, so I always eat back my exercise calories. I try to net the number MFP has set for me. It's not because I trust the all-knowing MFP robots behind the curtain, but that I know that I have a tendency to overdo things, and it becomes a slippery slope if I don't have a stable program to keep me in check. So, if I started having a deficit of 100 at the end of each day (in addition to the 500 auto), the next day I'd shoot for 150. Then 200. I used to find under-eating addictive, and that's not healthy. I also know that by eating a set, reduced, but still healthy number (enough for my body to properly function on), I still lose. But I have to eat my exercise cals to do this. It seems counterintuitive, but it's not, since MFP builds in that deficit. When I wouldn't eat enough, I stopped losing weight. Now I eat to lose, not live to eat, haha.

(Obvi, this is just what works for me. I can only speak from my own experience.)

Also, speaking to the masses, your deficit and whether you eat your exercise calories back depends on where you are compared to your goal. I've read that if you have a lot to lose, it's fine to not eat those exercise cals back. If you're closer to your goal weight, you have to be more careful about maintaining enough calories IN so your body knows it's ok to still let go of that poundage.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal weight, the more of a difference it makes. When you have 200 pounds to lose, you can afford not to eat back every exercise calorie. But when you're trying to lose, say, 15 pounds, your body is functioning differently and your metabolism is much more sensitive to small numbers of calories.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    The closer you are to your goal weight, the more of a difference it makes. When you have 200 pounds to lose, you can afford not to eat back every exercise calorie. But when you're trying to lose, say, 15 pounds, your body is functioning differently and your metabolism is much more sensitive to small numbers of calories.

^^^ THAT!
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I also work a wacky schedule 5pm - 3am. I work out at 3-330am when I get out of work for about an hour (typically burn 400-700 cals) I go home, have my protein shake. Relax and I'm in bed by 5-6am. So there isn't anywhere for me to add those calories in.
  • britterbrittney
    britterbrittney Posts: 256 Member
    Options

^^^ THAT!

This is what I was thinking too...
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I also work a wacky schedule 5pm - 3am. I work out at 3-330am when I get out of work for about an hour (typically burn 400-700 cals) I go home, have my protein shake. Relax and I'm in bed by 5-6am. So there isn't anywhere for me to add those calories in.

Just have to change your food choices a little bit. Increasing cals doesn't mean increasing volume a lot. A lot of people who have trouble meeting cal goals tend to fall short on healthy fats. Good fats are necessary! Add in natural oils (olive/canola), nuts and nut butters (almond, pistachios, walnuts), and avocados. And just increasing cals by 50-100 for each meal/snack adds up. Just takes some practice. It's a learning process. :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Oh_look__it_s_THIS_thread_again.jpg

LOL Needed to quote this.

Totally depends on what sort of exercise and intensity also IMO.

If you are doing LISS cardio for hours then you are going to burn a lot of calories and hence make it pretty hard to eat them all back.

Alternatively, you could do some HIIT/resistance training for a much shorter time, (burn less cals initially but get the afterburn effect) stimulate some muscle growth, eat back your exercise calories much more easily and if you then get to net of zero remaining and you have your weight loss goal at 1 or 2lbs then you are achieving your deficit while still stimulating muscle growth to preserve lean body mass. This coupled with a decent protein intake should ensure that maximum weight lost is from fat and not muscle. (keeping your BMR higher and helps with maintaining weight when you reach goal weight)
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Sometime I eat back my calories and other times I don't. The thing is that MFP already calculates a deficit so I feel I would still lose weight if i eat some.
    For example, let's say my BMR is 1600 cals. MFP tells me to eat 1200. That's a deficit of 400 cals
    If I don't excercise:
    Net Calories=1200 consumed-0 burned=1200 at a deficit
    Let's say I excercise and burn 500 cals:
    Net calories=1200 consumed - 500 burned=700. at a deficit
    Say you eat back your calories
    Net calories=1200 consumed +500 excercise calories consumed -500 burned= 1200 still at a deficit.
    I would say that if you are not at a calorie deficit regimen and are trying to lose weight, then don't eat your excercise calories.
    However, If you are already on a calorie deficit, such as MFP, then I feel it's up to you to eat them back. I do it based on how i feel.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    I don't always eat back my exercise calories. I do make sure I get in the 1200 that I am suppose to, other than that the exercise calories are there if I need it and I will use it if I need it but if I don't or I am full I don't eat it back.
  • matina29
    matina29 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories. I have lost 50 pounds using this wonderful site to journal calories and have support. I am not saying that MFP is wrong. It just never worked for me...Individual metabolism and bodies are different.