Gym for the first time

Options
Tomorrow I will be going to the gym for the first time. My doctor said I need 45-60 mins of exercise. Any tips? What are the dos and donts? I'm extremely nervous (not sure why lol)

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Kudos to you for getting yourself there. That's usually the hardest part! Take your time, ask for a tour so you know where everything is. Don't be intimidated. Everyone there is likely working towards the same goal - overall health/wellness/fitness etc. Have you worked out before? If so, start with what your familiar with and build from there. You got this!!
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercise is your doctor suggesting? Lifting? Cardio?

In either case, the staff are your friends. Don't hesitate to ask their advice, or for suggestions on a workout routine. Most of them have college degrees in this stuff, and they're there to help.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Have realistic expectations - don't go in thinking you'll be able to sprint for an hour on the treadmill or something. Does your gym have classes? If so try a few to see if you like any of them. Ask if you're not sure how to use a machine or piece of equipment. Don't overdo it on the 1st day - you don't want to injure yourself or be so sore you never want to go again. Have fun, try new things!
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Make it enjoyable. Don't worry about people, yet people watch. When I'm doing cardio I love watching people try to impress each other coyly.

If you make your gym experience enjoyable and you feel good about yourself , you will go often.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My tip is to start slow. The first time I went to the gym, I pushed myself too hard and was in pain for the next week--and not going to the gym. (It's normal to feel some aches the next day, but this was like "hoo boy, I can't lift my arms.")

So yeah, start gradually. After you get a gauge of where you're at, you can increase the weight / the speed / the distance and start pushing yourself.

Also, Youtube is a great resource. You can look up exercises and get tips on correct form. I mean, you can also ask real-life people but personally I prefer Youtube.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I'm generally nervous going somewhere the first time but I've moved a lot and have been to so many new gyms that these new places no longer phase me.

The staff will definitely give you a tour. Many memberships come with 1-3 free sessions with a trainer - does yours? If you haven't already signed a contract and the standard contract doesn't include it, ask for this.

Tip - don't try to do too much too fast. Pace yourself! It may not be realistic to go from 0 exercise to 45-60 minutes. I have cranky knees and started with 15-20 minutes of walking and over time worked up to 75 minutes plus hills. If you're not an experienced yogini, you'd want to start with a gentle or beginner's yoga class rather than Power Yoga.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Pretty good advice above. Don't be afraid to ask the staff to demonstrate/explain how to use the equipment
    It's great that you have committed to begin :) I felt nervous about going back to the gym too but now I LOVE it!
    It's very empowering to know that I can change my body in a positive way.
  • KassLea22
    KassLea22 Posts: 112 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Don't be scared, everyone is a beginner at one point! Don't be afraid to ask the gym staff how to use machines or what types of exercises target different areas. The people who work at gyms love to help new people, and this is coming from someone who used to work at a gym and who has been going to the gym five days a week for years and years.

I would also suggest trying out some of the classes if your gym offers them. I think one of the most important parts of exercise and what keeps people exercising regularly is that they find something that they enjoy doing. Yoga, Pilates, barre, spin, rowing, Zumba, etc are all classes that I would give a try.

Congratulations on deciding to make this positive change, before you know it you'll love the gym and it will be something you do for entertainment!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I need 45-60 mins of exercise. Any tips?

My tip would be to not to do 45-60 mins the first day. Ramp up slowly to prevent injuries and burnout.

If you need more guidance, state your goal. :+1:
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My gym does offer classes that come in my membership. They have yoga, spin, pilates, Zumba and fit RX. It also comes with pool access. My doctor said I needed to do 45-60 minutes a day of cardio. I signed my contract and got my membership card today. I'll be going tomorrow morning for the first time!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I would build up to the 45 minutes. For two reasons:

1) If you are starting out from a place of no physical activity then 45 minutes might not be possible. It certainly wasn't for me.

2) You are setting yourself up to burn out if you do too much too soon. If you want this to last then make it a gradual transition.

Good luck!
  • southernoregongrape
    southernoregongrape Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My gym does offer classes that come in my membership. They have yoga, spin, pilates, Zumba and fit RX. It also comes with pool access. My doctor said I needed to do 45-60 minutes a day of cardio. I signed my contract and got my membership card today. I'll be going tomorrow morning for the first time!
    I absolutely loved water yoga until our teacher had to quit. That is how I started and inched into more strenuous a bit at a time.
    Just go and have a ball.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You will enjoy yourself. Good luck.