Every Other Day Diet

Options
rhiawiz57
rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
MyFitnessPal isn't really set up to handle this diet (low calories one day and high the next) but I'm doing it, it's working great for me, it's changing my relationship with food, it's the first ray of hope i've had in over 20 years, and I am seeking others doing this plan or a variant of it for encouragement, advice, successes, etc!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I've seen posts about a 5/2 diet which is a similar idea. Some days eating very low, other days eating higher. Or look for calorie cycling.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is a variant that isn't very low then very high. Don't eat 16 hours a day, eat 8, something to that effect. I'm in the middle of experimenting with IF myself, and am encouraged by the results.

Be careful not to endorse VLCD, that's against community TOS.

How do you feel this is changing your relationship with food in a way that a modest calorie count every day cannot?And is this something that you feel you can do forever?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I believe MFP premium allows you to adjust your calories by the day.
  • rhiawiz57
    Options

And is this something that you feel you can do forever?

Also, once you reach your goal, your lower calorie days increase by double the cals for "maintenance" so that makes it seem like yes, i can do it forever! I seriously want to!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I tend to do a bit lower during the week days and then higher on the weekends because social stuff/life. It doesn't fluctuate massively though. Like 1400-1800 during the week and maybe up to 2500-2800 max on weekends. I also let myself eat whatever as long as it fits in my macros, but make sure most of it's fairly nutritious.
  • Sassifrass76
    Sassifrass76 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey op, just wanted to lend my support and adf is what I have been doing as well. It is the only thing that I have found that works for ME. I have pcos and had tried everything under the sun from weight watchers, 1200 a day, intermittent fasting, low carb, low fat, all of it. Nothing else worked. There isn't a lot of support for it here, so I basically plug away at it alone. I do keep track of calories on both fast and feast days, if I didn't I would definitely go over on my feast days. I had an emotional eating problem and this way of eating has helped me to control that so much. My relationship with food is so much better. It definitely isn't for everyone, and it isn't easy, but if it works, it works. Everyone has to find their own path to health and no two paths are the same. I didn't count feast days in the beginning either, just to get the hang of it, but eventually it may become necessary to keep a downward trend. Search for "up day down day calculator" it will be there somewhere. Best wishes on your journey. Your biggest cheerleader is YOU.
  • rhiawiz57
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks, it sounds like our experiences are quite similar. I am still logging as well because I know that a 3000 cal day can undo the lower day efforts. It is nice to know that someone out there is doing this even though in this community, it's not very prevalent. Thank you so much for sharing, it brightened my day. I too have been an emotional eater for much of my life, although I was also in denial about that for most of that time. I used to say "I just love food" but that really wasn't answering the mail. We absolutely have to do what works for us individually, but I find it is good to know there are others out there doing the same plan. Have an awesome weekend.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    Is there an "alternate day fasting " group on mfp? I know many commenters lost the bulk of their weight successfully that way. Try searching "adf". best to you, OP!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I tried this once, except I didn't buy the book and I later realized I was doing it wrong because of some of those details. It was at a time when I was in a true plateau (i.e. I was actually eating at a deficit and not losing weight). I was so frustrated and was about to give up because I have a really big appetite. I was willing to accept that I was going to feel like I'm starving all the time as long as I was still losing at least some amount of weight. When that stopped, I was not willing to feel hangry constantly. The compromise was to do this so I would be hangry every other day and I would be satisfied with food on the feast days because I had no restrictions and could actually satisfy my enormous appetite.

After 2 months of a plateau, I chose this over giving up on weight loss entirely. But my misunderstanding was that I was supposed to eat 500 calories on fast days and as much as I wanted on feast days. Later, I realized that men are supposed to eat 600 calories on fast days and it looks like the intent is to eat at maintenance on feast days. Anyway, I would eat 500 calories every other day and around 10K calories on the feast days. After 6 weeks of doing this and not losing or gaining any weight (because I was in a true plateau, I wasn't going to gain weight despite eating at a big surplus), I returned to a small daily deficit and considered that the lack of gains confirms I'm in a real plateau.

During the 6 weeks I spent doing this diet, day-to-day fluctuations increased despite no true overall change. Typically, you know how your weight goes up or down 2-3 lbs. from one day to the next? Sometimes increases, sometimes decreases... but over several weeks, it should decrease if you are in a deficit. While doing this diet, the scale hovered around the same number, but fluctuations went as high as 9 lbs. Rather than staying within a 3 lb. range, the range became larger. The base number remained the same, but the high and low end from day to day increased.

After quitting this diet and returning to a normal daily deficit, I spent another 2 months in a plateau before finally experiencing a permanent loss of around 7-9 lbs. in less than 1 week.
  • rouhnaz
    rouhnaz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I definitely know about this method and have tried to do it a few times! Personally it was so good sounding in theory, but in practice I couldn't stay consistent. Always wanted to make it work, but somehow I would find an excuse to break plan and try something different or "start tomorrow."

So it's back to a boring old regular daily calorie deficit for me. I do, however, try to fast well into the day. I do that because of health benefits and because it allows for a larger meal in one or two sittings rather than frequent small meals.

Good luck to you, though! If it's working out, that's cool. Krista Varady (author of the book on EOD) said it's usually about finding something that you can stick to in the long run. I've watched a few of her interviews and read her book. She's all about seeing ppl do something they can live with down the line.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Hey OP. I've been doing 5:2 for a bit but have been conaidering switching over to ADF like you are talking about. Im like you - it's so much easier for me to stay strict for a day, knowing that tomorrow I can have that treat (within reason of course - I'm still eating at or slightly under maintenance on my "feed" days). Learning to look at my weekly nutritional goal instead of daily has really helped me put food more into perspective and to eat in a more balanced way. Because of being more mindfull, I think it will be easy to maintain once I hit my goal. Best of luck to you!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could say I'm on the high calories every day diet. I burn about 1,000 calories per day riding a bicycle to make up for it.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    So do you still count your calories on your off days? Or is it a free for all? I'd worry about undoing your hard work from the day before.
  • rhiawiz57
    edited March 2017
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    So do you still count your calories on your off days? Or is it a free for all? I'd worry about undoing your hard work from the day before.
    Yes, I use myfitnesspal every day. What I have ended up doing so far is eating really light most of the day on my free days, and then having one indulgent meal if I choose. I definitely don't pig out all day- i start with a sandwich on sprouted grain bread or high fiber cereal for meal 1. I find myself craving healthful foods anyway even on my free days. This isn't anything I'm forcing. I am listening to what my body wants. I havent been craving stuff like donuts, but I had a half a slice of birthday cake yesterday and I actually didn't even want to finish it because it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I did have a milkshake, burger and fries on Thursday evening though (and it was delicious, but I only had cereal, an apple, and 10 almonds earlier that day). I am not going unlimited with cals that's for sure. That wouldn't work to lose weight as a poster above shared!

• rhiawiz57
    Options
    Some people do fast on those days, but per the Every Other Day diet book, I'm just low calorie every other day.
  • jenbeck18
    jenbeck18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I do that, I have wed and saturday as my high calorie and the rest are low calorie(about 900 calories). The two high calorie days usually are a high calorie dinner.
  • rhiawiz57
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jenbeck18 wrote: »
    I do that, I have wed and saturday as my high calorie and the rest are low calorie(about 900 calories). The two high calorie days usually are a high calorie dinner.
    How long have you been doing this? Has it been successful for you ? Thanks for sharing.
  • rhiawiz57
    edited March 2017
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Hey OP. I've been doing 5:2 for a bit but have been conaidering switching over to ADF like you are talking about. Im like you - it's so much easier for me to stay strict for a day, knowing that tomorrow I can have that treat (within reason of course - I'm still eating at or slightly under maintenance on my "feed" days). Learning to look at my weekly nutritional goal instead of daily has really helped me put food more into perspective and to eat in a more balanced way. Because of being more mindful, I think it will be easy to maintain once I hit my goal. Best of luck to you!

That's awesome, and I agree, having the weekly perspective really helps me to understand my calorie budget better, daily is just too daunting for me. Would you switch to every other day because 5/2 isn't getting you the results you're after? I know people who do 5/2 to maintain (two of them are food critics so it's easy to imagine that a regular daily low calorie diet wouldn't work for them!), and they don't really lose much weight, but they don't gain.