BCAA'S (Branch Chain Amino Acids)

Options
Any thoughts on the BCAA'S supplements? I have started to lift (with body pump) in order to add variety to my routine and also in order to tone. And I keep hearing about BCAA'S on the gym grounds.....has anyone tried them with good and/or bad results?

Thank you.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Examine.com answers all supplement questions.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I personally feel I get less DOMS and recover from workouts quicker when I use them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When I was lifting, my own experience was that they helped at first and then the benefits seemed to decrease over time.

I eat very low carb and recently was watching a webinar on keto for endurance athletes. It was mentioned as one of the top 3 supplements even for endurance activities. To be honest, I take BCAA's after some of my runs (but not always, though I probably should).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Examine.com answers all supplement questions.

From that (excellent and scientifically backed) link:
    BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more).
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I personally feel I get less DOMS and recover from workouts quicker when I use them.

This.
  • dermatome
    dermatome Posts: 16 Member
    Options

how many grams do you take?

thank you.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    if your taking in enough protein from food your getting bcaa , if your doing fasted cardio or fasted workout you could take them , for me i dont take bcaa i get enough protein from food , everybody has there own opinion on bcaa , you just need to find out what works for you good luck