Best time to weigh yourself?

Options
So yesterday around 5pm I weighed myself just for fun and scale says I lost 1 pound then i weighed myself this morning as soon as I got up and scale says down 5 more pounds? Lol what am I doing wrong? I know I didn't lose 5 more pounds within like 20 hours

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I usually weigh myself in the mornings just after I wake up. Your weight fluctuates all the time within a small range thanks to your food and exercise. You'll get less frustrated if you pick a time you'll always weigh, and only do it at that time, wearing roughly the same amount of clothes. :)
  • RAVERSTACE1983
    RAVERSTACE1983 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself when I wake up
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yeah I plan on doing weekly weigh ins on saturday.. I only weighed myself because I was trying to prove a point to my husband lol
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Pick a day and time and stick to it. I weigh on a tuesday at 7pm and i eat and drink normally beforehand
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Pick a day and time and stick to it. I weigh on a tuesday at 7pm and i eat and drink normally beforehand

I agree - it doesn't matter when just as long as you always pick that same time each week.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think there's more chance for variation in an evening weigh in vs a morning one. Types and amounts of food eaten and liquids drunk thru the day and released from exercise and heat sweat.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    As has been said, pick a time and routine and stick to it.

As a personal anecdote - and many people see this type of thing, although not necessarily these exact numbers - I typically weigh 2-3 lb less in the morning than at night.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I always weigh at the same time of the day - first thing in the morning after I go to the bathroom and before I get in the shower. I only get on the scale once a month though, since daily and weekly were stressing me out!
  • BogdanB84
    BogdanB84 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since I'm doing IF, mornings are the way to do it for me.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning - after bathroom - no clothes [or same clothes every time]. Scale in exactly the same position each time.

My weight can vary 5lbs or more at different time of day.

I weigh every day and use an app to remove teh random variations.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week as weighing everyday stresses me out, Sunday morning after bathroom