Help Walking Shoe Question

Options
I'm looking for advice on good shoes for walking and also curious how long I should expect a pair to last. In the last 7 months I've gone from barely able to walk a block to averaging 8-9 miles per day. I started using really cheap and hand me down tennis shoes until I wore out two pairs. In January I broke down and bought for me a very expensive pair of shoes at Road Runner Saucony ISO series. I've put about 550 miles on them and today discovered a hole on top near the toe. Is it normal for shoes to only last three months with this much wear? I mostly walk in my neighborhood and a bit on trails in the park. Is there a more durable brand you all recommend. If I am going to have to spend a couple hundred dollars on shoes every three months I need to budget for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    8-9 miles a day? That's awesome!

I think 500 miles on a pair of shoes is probably about right, actually. It varies depending on you - some people are harder on their shoes than others, but as a runner, I wouldn't expect a pair of shoes to last much longer than 500 miles, and I'm fairly easy on my shoes, having a pretty balanced stride. I know runners that replace their shoes much more often.

I don't really have a shoe recommendation for walking, but I expect it's not that much different from when runners buy shoes - if you're walking 8 or 9 miles a day, you need to get shoes that suit and support your foot and the way your foot strikes. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to spend a few hundred dollars, though. My favorite running shoes are a little over $100 new, but I can usually find "last season's model" on sale for about $89.
  • mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been going through shoes pretty fast since I've started walking, too. Recently, I've found some New Balance that I like on Amazon for $25-$35 per pair.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Options
    I went with New Balance from SportChek. NB doesn't make the type I like (water resistant), so I need to go find another brand.
  • slbahle
    slbahle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For walking in particular I would recommend something with memory foam. I walk mostly on my heel with little to no weight on my toes. Because of this my legs and feet usually ache. With memory foam I don't have that problem. I would personally recommend New Balance (with memory foam) or Sketchers. Both are well under a hundred ($45-75). I get a pretty good life out of them. I walk about 6 miles a day and wear them for a year.
  • timpike142
    timpike142 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    go new balance but dont get the cheep ones they are made overseas and dont hold up as well, get the ones made in the usa... they last 3 times as long in my experience. if your not sure theyre website tells you which ones are made in the usa.
  • timpike142
    timpike142 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    also more of a rugged shoe is Keen, I wear them to work everyday and i do about 6 miles a day at work and the pair im on iv had for about a year and a half.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mandalunia wrote: »
    I'm looking for advice on good shoes for walking and also curious how long I should expect a pair to last. In the last 7 months I've gone from barely able to walk a block to averaging 8-9 miles per day. I started using really cheap and hand me down tennis shoes until I wore out two pairs. In January I broke down and bought for me a very expensive pair of shoes at Road Runner Saucony ISO series. I've put about 550 miles on them and today discovered a hole on top near the toe. Is it normal for shoes to only last three months with this much wear? I mostly walk in my neighborhood and a bit on trails in the park. Is there a more durable brand you all recommend. If I am going to have to spend a couple hundred dollars on shoes every three months I need to budget for them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have had really good luck with trail running shoes. I walk on both pavement and trails so they are a great lightweight option. My favorite brand is Salomon.
  • mandalunia
    mandalunia Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the advice. I'l look at New Balance and Keen.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I like sketchers for pavement walking but i use hiking shoes when i walk trails on a weekend
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm a nerd and like the sketchers memory foam walking shoes,they give me an extra bounce to my walks
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your awesome progress!