Vanity Sizing vs Poor Quality Control

Options
jackoninny
jackoninny Posts: 39 Member
I was under the impression that men's pants were sized by leg length and waist circumference.

I naively measured my waist in order to quickly get in and out of the clothing store. The pairs of 28/30s varied quite a bit by brand (boot cut).

I thought it might be vanity sizing, but some 28 (boot cut) were way too tight.

What gives? Last time I checked 28inches=28inches.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    If they really sized things by waist sizes, lots of people would cry every time they went shopping. Even men...
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Trying shopping for women's jeans not having perfect proportions. Currently, I have 5 jeans from the same store... relatively same cut all same size - only 2 fit.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I purchase the same ones I bought last time. Saves time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Men tend to not wear their pants' waist at their waist. It's more just above the hips, even the really thin men.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, while somewhat better than women's pants, 28 inches is almost never 28 inches. Heres' just the first article I found when I tried googling one I half remembered:
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/philipwylonis/one-skinny-dude-tries-on-10-different-pairs-of-jea-1j3vg

^ everything from 30-35 inches on a 31inch tag.

Its all lies.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    It's also because a lot of brands cut their pants in bulk. You know how if you have a stack of paper, and you cut it all at once, the layers at the bottom tend to be slightly bigger than the ones at the top? Same thing with fabric.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Thread started in 2013. First reply in 2017.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Interesting... _John_ must have a lot of time on his hands :p
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I've really got to start looking at the dates on these things.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I can't buy regular pants because the legs are always too tight. So until they had a good selection of relaxed fit and loose cut jeans I had to size up in waist to get my legs in them, then belt the crap out of them to keep them up.

I have no clue who these non-squatting skinny jean people are, but they've made it even worse as that is, like, 75% of the jeans around anymore.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    I grew up having issues with straight legged jeans. even still....I went to try a pencil skirt once and the lady handed me a smaller size saying what I Chose would be too big. I was flattered but snickered thinking you haven't seen these thighs I hide in my pants.
  • Cuddlebearjay
    Cuddlebearjay Posts: 21 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

4 years to the day :open_mouth:
    And almost the hour!