BCAA powder

Options
I got a sample of some BCAA powder and from what I've read online it helps with recovery after working out. Is this one of those woo products or does it actually do what it claims it will do?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    It's 99% woo, 1% effective.

There are some pretty specific conditions under which it can be beneficial, but they are REALLY specific. At least in terms of what they can do that other, regular food can't/doesn't.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It's beneficial in certain circumstances. If you get enough protein, and aren't training fasted, then they likely won't do much (if anything) for you.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It's useful but it's also plentiful in milk and other protein sources, so not something you probably need to supplement.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    its one of the few supplements i add into my protein shakes, i'm pretty convinced it helps me with recovery. sure you can get it all in foods and stuff, but if you are watching your calories, its a way to supplement without adding calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I find it helps with satiety.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Many protein powders already have a good amount of BCAA's in them. You may want to save your money and just drink a protein shake after working out. I used a BCAA drink after working out for a while and noticed no difference, my protein powder already had quite a bit in it. I do work out fasted most days.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Personally, it helps me with recovery. Now that I'm on a cut, I doubled my intake. I for one can not get all of my protien from food, unless I eat nothing but meat and dairy.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I don't think BCAAs do anything for me. Creatine, on the other hand, helps my recovery.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Back when I was lifting weights, it seemed to help quite a bit at first. As I continued to take it, the level of benefit seemed to decrease. Now that most of my exercise is endurance cardio, BCAA's still seem to help. However, they have never shown as much benefit as the first few weeks / months of use.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use BCAA's prior to a fasted workouts to help maintain as much muscle as possible. I have no idea if it's helping or not, but I've always done it. I've never used it for after a workout, but I do add Creatine into my daily protein shake.
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bcaa absolutely help me
  • Max0727
    Max0727 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    BCAA' s work great if you're on a low protein diet.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    If you're meeting your protein requirements, it's unneeded.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    AgidGirl wrote: »
    does it actually do what it claims it will do?

idk what it claims it will do, but i use it occasionally if i'm afraid of the doms. it does seem to let me wake up feeling about 50% better than i expected to when i went to bed on the previous night, but i could probably get the same effect from a bottle of naproxen for a much lower cost. i've been working on the same 400g tub of it for almost a year so that gives a general idea how much use i give it.

i guess i feel it's worth having on hand for the times when you might want to use it, but personally creatine is the one that has an actual place in my daily life.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    For the actual science on it: https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/

Plenty of reference studies annotated at the bottom of the page if you really want to geek out on all the details. Bottom line is, as others have already said, they're completely unnecessary if you're getting adequate protein in your diet from other sources.

From the above link:
    BCAAs are important to ingest on a daily basis, but many protein sources, such as meat and eggs, already provide BCAAS. Supplementation is unnecessary for people with a sufficiently high protein intake (1-1.5g/kg a day or more).
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual. For some, it helps, for some it doesn't. Personally I take mine religiously and over the weekend I didn't take my BCAAs or my preworkout. I learned 2 things:
    I don't like my knees hurting like this for days and being super super sore.
    I couldn't push through my 2nd and 3rd sets. I had to stop short.
    I didn't dwell on this until after my workout was done but I could definitely tell!
    So I said all that to say this, it doesn't hurt to try. It may be something you need. I don't buy a brand name, I look for the best ingredients as well!
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's one of those things where the function of BCAAs is confused with the need to supplement. Branch chains are essential building blocks to convert protein into muscle. Your body can make most of them but there's a couple that you must get from diet. So they're not only effective, they're essential to building and maintaining muscle. But as most have said, most people get enough from their diet.

I'd be a hypocrite however to recommend against it. I have a BCAA I take almost daily. I like the taste (0 cal) and at a minimum get some placebo benefit.