Calorie burning vs type of exercise

I have always heard that when you exercise doing the same routine over a period of time your body will stop losing weight as fast. But if you change it up your body will start losing more weight again. I wasn't sure if that was a true fact or not.

and if that is true does it matter how many calories you are burning? If you change up the routine and still burn the same about of calories will your body change.

Replies

• JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Was wondering this too. Bump.
  • First time post :)

If you do the same thing in the same order everytime your body will get used to it and not work as hard! you must mix it up, either the order or the intensity :D
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    actually your body just gets used to the exercise and therefore is not `challenged`. it becomes more like muscle memory and you work the same muscles over and over; making yourself kind of `plateau`. switching it up and increasing the intensity of your workouts enables your body to be constantly engaged and thus burn more calories!
  • IrraCore
    IrraCore Posts: 5
    It is a true fact. Unless you are doing something like training for a marathon where you are constantly doing one sort of exercise but varying the intensity each training week or your cardio exceeds an hour a day. But let's face it, who has that much of time daily to exercise (well, I guess I did when I was younger, and single and did not have a baby!). So the trick is, if you only have 30 or so minutes to exercise 3-4 times a week, is to mix up your cardio routine - eliptical machines, jogging, stair master, etc. and work in some strength routines as well. This way you get to work different muscle groups and avoid hitting the dreaded plateau of weight loss.:smile:
  • williti
    williti Posts: 22 Member
    I think the same is true of your caloric intake. If you consistently eat the same amount of calories every day your body becomes too efficient. Going under some days and max out on other days keeps your metabolism on its toes.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    I was under the impression that the more often you do an activity, the more efficient your body becomes at that action, so the less calories you burn doing it. Changing your activity will only help you lose weight faster if you are burning more calories as a result.