Tips on Staying motivated ?

Options
I find it easy to make good choices.. untill somebody around me puts bad ideas in my head. How do you stay focused on eating better options and resisting the temptation that is put in front of you day after day?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Willpower.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have intrinsic motivation. What you eat should be the food you prefer to eat because you like it, not because it can make/keep you slim.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Not to sound harsh but you control the thoughts in your head no one can put them there unless you allow it:).

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    When I decide I want something ... I am on a mission to get it.

So when I decided to lose weight, I was on a mission to get that. I was focused. I didn't want anything that did not fit in my calorie limit.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I log everything no matter what. So even if friends or circumstances tempt me I have my own inner motivation plus that external accountability to MFP.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Decide that you are a person who takes good care of herself. It'll take time, but eventually, your thoughts will become your habits and actions.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The best way to deal with any temptation is to remove yourself from the situation.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Make your meals and food choices enjoyable, so that you have something to look forward to instead of that donut someone brought in. Plan ahead, so you know what you are going to enjoy and that you'll enjoy it.

Also, don't be afraid to splurge now and then if you're truly tempted by what someone is offering. Try asking yourself if its worth it, or if you'd really be just as happy pulling out a stashed granola bar or something and munching on that.
  • saskifish
    saskifish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I got a little picture of me before my journey started about two years ago now, in my wallet together with a list of why I'm doing this. Everytime it gets hard, I take a long look at that. Then walk away from the situation.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Make your meals and food choices enjoyable, so that you have something to look forward to instead of that donut someone brought in. Plan ahead, so you know what you are going to enjoy and that you'll enjoy it.

Also, don't be afraid to splurge now and then if you're truly tempted by what someone is offering. Try asking yourself if its worth it, or if you'd really be just as happy pulling out a stashed granola bar or something and munching on that.

This 100%. Find treats that still fit within your goals and you'll be less tempted to eat the treats that don't. For example, I love ice cream, so every day I eat half a pint of Halo Top (140-180 calories.) It becomes much easier to say "no" to high calorie desserts when I know I can eat low calorie ice cream whenever I want. If you have foods you look forward to eating, it makes it much easier to pass on other treats. (If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking the food section of the MFP community or websites like skinnytaste.com to find more low calorie food ideas.)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I train my brain by watching Food network while on elliptical. The last thing I want to do after sweating is eat, so I become desensitized to all that indulgence. If I want a treat I am still learning not to have all the food all the time. Moderation is hard to learn and accepting there may be trigger foods you'll never be able to include is trial and error.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I allow myself some "treats". These are planned to fit my calories. Knowing I have a treat coming up later keeps me for being tempted by the other stuff. I always ask myself, "Is it worth it?"
  • alixandra15
    alixandra15 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some really good help and advice! Thanks everyone that commented x