After gallbladder surgery

Options
Had gallbladder surgery on Tues and it's taking longer to get my energy back than I thought . I wish I had seen the site in here that said to stick to clear fluids the first couple days . Been having lots of gas etc . The doctors office said I could eat anything except greasy or fatty foods... not! Any suggestions???

Replies

• dannybias50
    dannybias50 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Gallbladder removed Jan 5th
    Normal what your experience and you will have to go bland for a little bit so body can adjust
    I can't eat anything with tomatoes in it
    Chocolate in small increments and that includes protein shakes
    I bought a Air Fryer
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My husband just had his removed...additional advice he was given was to avoid gas producing foods...we all know what gives us gas...he gets it from veggie stir fry, beef, onions etc as well as fatty foods. Also to have smaller meals...so no second helpings for him now. Too if we have a dessert...we'll wait at least an hour between mains and dessert.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Mine was 10 years ago. Everything made me ill at first, especially fatty foods. I couldn't even stand the odor of lunch meats. Best things I found were simple bland items. I tolerated banana and low fat Greek yogurt(not at the same time) pretty well.

It takes time, or mine did, I blame that on my insistence of eating my way through the problem. Good luck.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed about 5 years ago. I had to make sure I was fully hydrated and avoid sodium. I second the avoiding "gassy" foods. I would also say that if there are certain foods that irritated you beforehand (for me, it was lactose-containing foods, pasta and eggs), to try to eat smaller portions until you feel better about your insides. Other than that, I hope you feel better soon! <3
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    They pump your abdomen full of air for the surgery, so it is normal to be full of gas. Take some Gas-X. Eating lightly for the first week or so is a good idea.

I was a little iffy about eating shrimp for a while, but at a couple of years out from the surgery, I have not found anything that I cannot eat. That said, I never ate or eat fast, fried, or junk foods, so there are a lot of things that just are not on my food radar.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had surgery last year. While it was not a gall bladder surgery, I would think that the rules would be similar after having an organ repaired or removed. Stick to lighter foods the first couple days. I think I had bone broth with some rice. Important to get some proteins, so if you add in some lean turkey or something into the soup it will help with protein. I also had toast with peanut butter and banana. For breakfast, I had oatmeal, cinnamon, flax and some dried fruit or a smoothie (almond milk, frozen cherries, banana, flax, spinach, protein powder). Foods with magnesium - nuts, seeds, dark leafy greens or dark chocolate. Fiber - oatmeal, fruits or dried fruits, applesauce etc. Also try some yogurt and/or probiotic capsule to get the beneficial bacteria back into your digestive system. Plenty of water. Walking as much as you can comfortably will help with the gas. If it is gas going through your system outside of the walking, try GasX or peppermint tea to help with this. Like others indicated avoid the gas producing foods including beans, onions, garlic, broccoli, etc.
  • markrgeary1
    Options
    Fallfrenzy wrote: »
    I had surgery last year. While it was not a gall bladder surgery, I would think that the rules would be similar after having an organ repaired or removed. Stick to lighter foods the first couple days. I think I had bone broth with some rice. Important to get some proteins, so if you add in some lean turkey or something into the soup it will help with protein. I also had toast with peanut butter and banana. For breakfast, I had oatmeal, cinnamon, flax and some dried fruit or a smoothie (almond milk, frozen cherries, banana, flax, spinach, protein powder). Foods with magnesium - nuts, seeds, dark leafy greens or dark chocolate. Fiber - oatmeal, fruits or dried fruits, applesauce etc. Also try some yogurt and/or probiotic capsule to get the beneficial bacteria back into your digestive system. Plenty of water. Walking as much as you can comfortably will help with the gas. If it is gas going through your system outside of the walking, try GasX or peppermint tea to help with this. Like others indicated avoid the gas producing foods including beans, onions, garlic, broccoli, etc.

Great ideas.
    I just found high protein stock(Kitchen Basics) 5 grams of protein per 8 oz. IIRC it was low sodium too.
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips .
  • hasah99
    hasah99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had mine out Feb 3. I am still having a lot of food/ bathroom issues. I am not eating anything fatty, greasy or oily. I find a basic mashed potatoes or rice is fine. I am now able to eat salad( little or no dressing) and most veggies. Lots of zoodles! I did just start to take digestive enzymes a few days ago, and I am finding that has helped quite a bit!
    This surgery was actually quite different then others I've had in regards to food! I can't eat peanut butter because of the fact it's oily! Some days I am really not hungry, but try and eat a little every few hours! That seemed to help. Honestly I think everyone is different, but this is my 4th surgery, and I would have said this was the least serious...but I am finding it longer to bounce back from this one!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed more years ago than some of you have been living. ;-)

At first, foods that tended to be fatty caused me a bit of trouble.

One side effect, that many have, is the need to hit the bathroom very quickly after eating certain foods. It can give you the runs. This, too, gets better with time.

As mentioned, feeling gassy this soon post-op is pretty normal.
  • lyssa1210
    Options
    hasah99 wrote: »
    I had mine out Feb 3. I am still having a lot of food/ bathroom issues. I am not eating anything fatty, greasy or oily. I find a basic mashed potatoes or rice is fine. I am now able to eat salad( little or no dressing) and most veggies. Lots of zoodles! I did just start to take digestive enzymes a few days ago, and I am finding that has helped quite a bit!
    This surgery was actually quite different then others I've had in regards to food! I can't eat peanut butter because of the fact it's oily! Some days I am really not hungry, but try and eat a little every few hours! That seemed to help. Honestly I think everyone is different, but this is my 4th surgery, and I would have said this was the least serious...but I am finding it longer to bounce back from this one!
    Me too I thought I would be back to normal by now. I know it's only been 5 days but I'm so tired and not digesting most food well
  • lyssa1210
    Options
    I have had almost 4!weeks to recover and digestive issues still not right ... makes me frustrated. My energy is ok but could be better.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time. My daughter still has problems if she eats a little too much fat ( over a year after surgery).
  • markrgeary1
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Give yourself time. My daughter still has problems if she eats a little too much fat ( over a year after surgery).

My experience as well. I remember 6 months after surgery waiting in line at a sandwich buffet. I smelled salami, I used to like salami. I spent the next half hour in the restroom from the fatty smelling salami.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 10/14 but with complications (pancreatitis)...i was NPO for 8 days. I have to stay away from high fat, gassy and HI carbs. I've had pancreatitis 4 times since....turns out I have a birth defect and have T2 because of it. Mostly just listen to your body
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I had mine out about 3 years ago and had so many issues with food for about 2 years. I can now pretty much eat anything but I stay away from fatty or greasy food. Also too much bread. All I can say is it will get better but can take some time. I would stick to simple fresh food like fruit and vege and chicken. Also probiotic yoghurt. Foods high in water like cucumber and melon. Good luck!