My efforts aren't for nothing...

Options
jessilee119
jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
It’s funny…people sit there and say that they can see I’ve lost weight. Then they say something like “Watch you’ll lose all this weight then get pregnant.” I don’t think that’s a bad thing. Gaining weight from being pregnant is not the same as gaining weight from overeating (a healthy weight gain is expected). The only way I would see it as a failure is if I didn’t lose the weight after I was pregnant. I know it might not be the case, but it almost sounds as if they think my losing weight will be for nothing since I will gain weight being pregnant. I just told them yeah I probably will get pregnant after losing weight, but that’s okay because the healthier I am before I get pregnant, the healthier I’ll be while I’m pregnant. I want to be a healthy mom so that I’m a good role model for my child/children. That’s my rant for the day…have a great day everyone!!

Replies

• FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I think there are quite a few people on here losing weight so that they can get pregnant and have a healthy pregnancy and baby :) It's easier to lose weight after having a child if you're at a healthy weight before getting pregnant!
  • Emily4H
    Emily4H Posts: 170
    Options
    not a rant - you make solid points. my doctors made me lose weight before I got pregnant so i would be healthier... that was 14 years ago now...... wou go girl - you are so on the right path :flowerforyou:
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Also the child will have good health. I read somewhere that the kids may get better genes. I am not sure though, but its worth a try.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We tried 8 LONG years to have a family. Long story short, we gave up on having our own children and became licensed foster parents and because I'm not good when it comes to waiting for certain things in life, we joined our local gym to make time pass faster. In that process we went from a family of 2 to 5 in 12 months! We foster and later adopted our 2 older sons. Three months after they were placed with us, I got pregnant on a natural cycle. (I had lost 35 pounds prior to this pg). This was all after 5 failed round of medical intervention :) Miracles don't happen on OUR schedule!!
  • ilaurya
    ilaurya Posts: 9
    Options
    That's an excellent point. My hubby and I will probably start a family in the next year or two, and the way I see it, it's better to be in a place where one can say, "ok, gestating baby, here's an abundance of healthy food, and let's go workout!" than a "before" place where one primarily sits on the couch and gains baby weight. (Granted, I know during the later months there probably won't be much working out.) I'm a big believer in mom-baby connection, and starting healthy habits in the womb seems like it would be the first step toward setting a healthy example for life.
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    Great thinking there. those ppl telling you that they can't see the loss, and that it'll be for naught. are either just full of it. and trying to sabotage your efforts. or they are blind, in more ways than one.

Keep up the good work. and at the end of the day, remeber, that your doing this for you, your family (current or future). and not for anyone else.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement. It’s good to know that there are people who get what I’m doing. I’m doing this to be a better/healthier me, not because I want to buy a pair of skinny jeans. To me, looking better is one of the rewards for my efforts, but not the main reason for my journey.