BMI/Weight not matching BF/Waist measurements

Options
Is this normal?

I'm 5'2 and around 150-158 pounds at the moment. My BMI is 27%. By all definitions I am overweight.

Yet my waist measures 27" and my body fat percentage is 25%. Why is my waist and body fat relatively "normal" in comparison to my weight and height ratio? I don't understand.

Replies

• LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's because of the fact you're not carrying most of your fat in your waist and another reason I can't think of.

I'm 5'2 as well and I weigh 155 pounds, and my waist size is a 25, but my body fat is higher than yours.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,608 Member
    Options
    How'd you get your body fat percentage assessed? Also, if you're a muscular person, you're muscle skews BMI.
    At 210lbs and 5'7", I'm considered obese by BMI standards.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Do you have a lot of muscle, or did someone screw up the body fat measurement? This doesn't seem right.
  • dustyrosex
    dustyrosex Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    How'd you get your body fat percentage assessed? Also, if you're a muscular person, you're muscle skews BMI.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Do you have a lot of muscle, or did someone screw up the body fat measurement? This doesn't seem right.

I measured it via an online calculator with different formulas many times. I used to be at 26% but I got down to 25% recently. I don't know if I'm "muscular" but i have a naturally high level of strength and my body was always toned and strong.

The furthest I've been down was 135 pounds. I'll tell you that my body fat remained the same. My hips still remained at their measurement while everything else was going down.

Weight lifting has helped me lose body fat.

• jenilla1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I measured it via an online calculator with different formulas many times. I used to be at 26% but I got down to 25% recently. I don't know if I'm "muscular" but i have a naturally high level of strength and my body was always toned and strong.

The furthest I've been down was 135 pounds. I'll tell you that my body fat remained the same. My hips still remained at their measurement while everything else was going down.

I didn't know it was possible to measure body fat online. How does it work?
  • LessCookiess
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Good question! :O I know BMI can be calculated using height/ weight/ and some sites use more things to calculate this number. I wasn't aware body fat had a calculation. My body fat is 34% and I was in a bod pod last month to get this number.
    Op, I'm curious about how you got your number as well.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for body fat calculators.

https://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

I find them quite inaccurate. They tell me I am around 19-21 and visually I would say I am 24-26.

Interesting exercise though.

Cheers, h.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    With that link, my body fat % ended up being 2% lower than what the nurse measured for me. Although I have been upping my fitness game in the 6 weeks since I was measured, I haven't lost any weight in that time. The website did say that it could be off by 1-3%, so that's right within that range. Interesting.
  • jenilla1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Good question! :O I know BMI can be calculated using height/ weight/ and some sites use more things to calculate this number. I wasn't aware body fat had a calculation. My body fat is 34% and I was in a bod pod last month to get this number.

I want to know what your online body fat % is so we can compare it to the bod pod.
  • LessCookiess
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I want to know what your online body fat % is so we can compare it to the bod pod.
    Interesting question so I actually got curious as well and decided to try it out.

So I've gone through a few sites:
    1. 9.23 % according to Free dieting.com
    2. 9% according to freecalcs

Other sites required hip and forearms measurements which I don't have.

Personally 9% seems extremely low.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Interesting question so I actually got curious as well and decided to try it out.

9% is indeed extremely low for a female. Somehow I doubt you look like the first picture and suspect that there is some error involved.

women-bodyfat-chart-visual.jpg
  • ashleighs148
    ashleighs148 Posts: 334 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Everyone's different. I'm just under 5'4 and I'm 152 lbs so my bmi is around 26. However, my waist is 28 inch and it was under 30 even when I was 170 lbs but that's just because everyone carries their weight differently. Online body fat calculators aren't accurate either. I use body calipers which say my body fat % is healthy and, when you compare to the pictures, it probably is but it's all very inaccurate. If you want to know for sure you'll need to go and get properly tested.
  • LessCookiess
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

9% is indeed extremely low for a female. Somehow I doubt you look like the first picture and suspect that there is some error involved.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree the number from the bod pod sounds more accurate.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How was the bf of the people in these pictures measured? I've never seen documentation of this important piece if info for any set of bf pics.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Hee hee @lorrpb, I don't know how it was measured but I want some yellow dumbbells. I'd prefer her body to the bulky blue one in the fitness forum. :)

Cheees, h.
  • jenilla1
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Weird. How is it that I have a BMI of 21 and I look like the 20% BF lady, but with a little more muscle definition, but the Internet calculator says my BF is closer to the 30% one? Maybe I just wear my high BF well?

Honestly, the 25% pic looks like 30%, and the 30% pic looks closer to 35-40% to me. I've seen that visual many times before. Who created it, and how do we know it's accurate?