Polycystic Ovarian Cyst (PCOS)

Options
Hello!

I am starting today with a wellness journey. I am obese and essentially want to lose weight.

I was diagnosed with PCOS because my horomone levels were low. I was placed on birth control, but I don't like how I feel so I am planning to stop them and try to lessen my symptoms natuarally. I honestly think I was misdiagnosed because I don't have any PCOS symptoms.

I am looking for mfp buddies. I love all people but I really want people that have horomone conditions, women, and people that have diabetes.

I am switching my diet complete next month to strictly vegan! I would also love vegan friends to help with meal planning. I say next month because I still have two packages of meat in the freezer. Lmbo!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    i have had pcos from a young age, No symptoms for me besides weird periods.

Iv lost 90 pounds in just under 11 months. You can do it :) Dont use it as an excuse, Thats a trap i fell into MANY times

edit: birth control gives me rashes i seem to be allergic to them so im no help with that lol

second edit: why vegan? if you want to be vegan go for it but its completely unnecesary i eat all the same foods i have the entire time i just portion them differently. I even eat high carb which they tell people with pcos not to do. learn your bodies needs and go off that
  • mimismommy11
    mimismommy11 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, but don't have many symptoms for it either. Also a type 2 diabetic, so add me if you'd like! I'm trying to get back in the groove after having a baby almost 3 months ago, and am doing low carb if you don't mind a low carb friend.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. After being diagnosed then told I didn't have it etc a dr finally told me that the only way to truly know is an ultrasound to see if you have cycstic ovaries. 12 or more areas of whatever makes it qualify for that. So I guess your hormones could test one way or the other depending on the time of month and a lot of other factors. I have that and wonderful hormonal adult acne. At 40. Ugh. So I know I have it. But that said, I hate BC pills too. Weight loss helps everything. I lost 50 lbs here before I had my son and it made a world of difference. Like someone else said I didn't change what I eat really just how much. Some things I just don't consider worth it. But usually my diet is 50% carbs. Otherwise I'm so tired. Anyway, good luck! Add me if you want!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    You can totally lose weight with PCOS or any hormone condition. I take a medication that essentially blocks all hormone production and I've still managed to lose weight (although slowly). I have never been able to take birth control pills - too many bad side effects including migraine headaches.

I second the question about going vegan. Why? It's not necessary for weight loss. Unless you are really on top of things and well educated about vegan protein sources, you can miss some essential nutrients. Not to say you can't do it, but I believe there's a lot of very good nutritional benefits to eating animal protein like eggs and lean meats.
  • Boldilocks
    Boldilocks Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wanted to say "Hi" and follow this thread.

I went from healthy and "normal" at 5'0" and 126 lbs to gaining 60 lbs in a year. I didn't do anything different - that's why I went to the dr about it and testing showed I had PCOS. That was 16 years ago. I got married, needed a lot of fertility treatment to have my 2 kids, and the lowest I was able to get to was 170 lbs.

Fast forward to now - I am 185 lbs (down from 200 lbs since Jan 1st), back on Metformin again to help with my symptoms after a long break, and trying as best as I can to follow Slimming World (it's a UK thing, I'm from there). I'm also vegetarian - have been since I was 6.

It's hard as a vegetarian, and even harder with PCOS. It's so frustrating, but I have to keep persevering. I turned 40 last year and I don;t want to turn 41 in the same state. It's now or never.