Sugars in milk

Options
I am trying to cut sugar intake. I drink about 1.5 glasses of fat free milk but it adds up to 18 grams of sugar. Is this bad? Is there any alternative?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lactose free 1% milk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Are you eliminating all carbs? No fruits and vegetables? They all have sugar...

The sugar in milk is naturally occurring, it is not bad.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Water?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dilute some whipping cream?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    manojveena wrote: »
    I am trying to cut sugar intake. I drink about 1.5 glasses of fat free milk but it adds up to 18 grams of sugar. Is this bad? Is there any alternative?

Why are you trying to cut out all sugar? That would leave you with meat/protein and fat. As mentioned above, fruits, grains, seeds, nuts, vegetables and dairy all have sugar.
  • manojveena
    manojveena Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not cutting out all sugar but just trying to stay under the recommended limit. I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian and use milk and Boost as protein sources. It is easy to add up sugar intake with these 2.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not cutting out all sugar but just trying to stay under the recommended limit. I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian and use milk and Boost as protein sources. It is easy to add up sugar intake with these 2.

If you have no medical reason to restrict sugar, then don't worry about staying under mfp's sugar recommendation. Throughout my 100lb+ weight loss, I was often way above that number. I don't even bother tracking it now. track fiber instead. Much more useful.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I cut sugar but only added sugars. The sugar in milk, fruits, and veggies are naturally occurring so I don't watch those very close. I log my foods into MFP and sugar is one I track but I mentally subtract any sugars relating to fruits and veggies (I use unsweetened almond or coconut milk most of the time).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are using milk as a protein source but want to reduce the sugar, use a whey powder or a cheese. Blend the whey powder with ice, banana (oops, there comes the sugar again) and kale.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you're the one who wants to cut sugar, you have to decide whether it's bad. Sugar is sugar. It's not inherently bad, but you do you.

This.

I don't use calories on drinking milk (or any other beverages) but also have no particular desire to, so don't miss it. I do eat dairy, like plain greek yogurt, and have no reason to worry about the lactose. You may or may not, depending on the rest of your diet and goals and particular issues and preferences.
  • noorandjenna1
    noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You could drink carbmaster skim milk from Kroger. It has sugar and lactose filtered out, more protein and calcium, and only 60 calories a cup.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The limit is a loose estimate based on a recommended limit of added sugars plus estimated sugar from sources like fruit, veg, and dairy. If you eat lots of the latter it may not be right for you.

Rather than worrying about sugar, I focus on getting adequate protein, vegetables, healthy fats, fiber, and making sure the sugar I consume is mostly from healthful sources. If you are using dairy for protein it seems like the sugar associated with it is from a healthy source, for you. Basically, I'd just make sure your diet is balanced and sugar/carbs aren't crowding out anything else you need.
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options

If you are getting the milk for the protein. .. get the whey protein... like gold standard.... almost no sugar.... and I agree with you to limit sugar and cabs from other sources other than vegetables and low glycemic load fruits....
    contrary to some coments here.... most of people need to reduce sugar even without diagnosed medical condition (except insulin dependent patients ) .... and also.... on other hand do yourself a favor and don't drink or eat fat free staff.. eat food in it's natural form..
  • manojveena
    manojveena Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying to stay under 68 grams of sugar .